Clarity Aloft

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Can anyone tell me how they like them? I have lightspeed Zulu's and am happy but my girlfriend is interested in these because she doesn't like how normal headsets feel after several hours (she's a controller and is use to the on ear style headset).

Primarily concerned with if it reduces the noise from a 310 and/or mooney to a tolerable level and the quality of transmitter/receiver.

Thanks

If you do a search of thread titles only you will find 5 previous threads with "Clarity Aloft" in the title. Might be a good start.;)

FWIW, I tried a pair. Personally didn't like the stuffed ear feeling they gave me (which sounds like would not be your girlfriend's problem), but the noise attenuation and communications quality in a loud GA cockpit was awesome.

If you do a search of thread titles only you will find 5 previous threads with "Clarity Aloft" in the title. Might be a good start.;)

And deny me my opportunity to share my CA love? That wouldn't be fitting. <- heehee

FWIW, I tried a pair. Personally didn't like the stuffed ear feeling they gave me (which sounds like would not be your girlfriend's problem), but the noise attenuation and communications quality in a loud GA cockpit was awesome.

Did you try a smaller set of inserts?

To answer the OP; love mine, use them for flying aerobatics. For regular flying I like using my Bose A20s, but it really depends on how I'm feeling. The only time the CAs are a pain are if you're going to be taking your headset off every so often, or if it's cold. Winter flying? Get ready to spend a few minutes trying to warm up the inserts to get them in your ear.

I started with the medium inserts and found the large more comfortable. Also my GF started with small and switched to medium.

She only wears her CA's when she's a passenger. She uses my Bose X for her training. Probably to save a drive to the hangar before a lesson.

Last edited:
Used the CA for about a year. I really like it, noise attenuation and sound quality is great. Only negatives are the inconvenient 30 seconds it takes to put them in, occasionally having to reinsert a side in flight (when this happens often its time to replace the tips) and inability to rotate my head more than about 50 degrees without the plugs tugging/pulling out. I just switched to Bose A20 and I like it better for those reasons. The attenuation and sound quality is similar.

My wife has a pair. She likes them very much. I'm not overly fond of the in-your-ear style, but that's just me. Dulles Tower said it had the best mike he's ever heard. About the only bad thing I can say about them was when hers broke, the repairs were neither cheap nor speedy. This is in stark contrast to most of the other headphone guys who are fast and usually free.

I am a student pilot and love my CA's. I tried the Lightspeed Zulu2's first and liked them, but I wear ear plugs when driving my Cobra, so the CA's just seems like a perfect fit. Sound quality is very good, mic seems to work well. Comfort is spot on, almost no weight and I can spin my head around if needed with no issues. Also since I wear glasses the fit very well.

Yep I love mine.

I have them and the sound is very good and they are every bit as quiet as my Bose A20s. They were quite uncomfortable at first as they would really start to hurt behind my ears. I bought the rubber head band thing they sell and that helped quite a bit. I still can't say how comfortable they would be on a long trip.

If I had to buy something again I would buy the Halos.

Traditional headsets give me a headache after a couple of hours. Earbuds make my ears hurt in just a few minutes. Clarity looks like they use earbuds . . . So I bought Halos. They are designed and built by a PhD audiologist who is also a Mooney pilot. Since I also don't like the feel of foam earplugs (roll them wrong and they will ooze out of your ear), I use the silicone earplugs that come with them. I have had zero complaints since getting them in 2010.

Traditional headsets give me a headache after a couple of hours. Earbuds make my ears hurt in just a few minutes. Clarity looks like they use earbuds . . .
Clarity Aloft are NOT earbuds. They are more like foam ear plugs.

Halos use a silicon style earplug.

If you don't like to futz around with the foam insert earpieces that come with the Clarity Aloft

Tim, (happy new year) have you been using these a while? I haven't messed with replacing the plugs cause I think I'm used to them, and similar in high noise workplaces. Others talk about custom fit earpieces to spin on. I seam to be unconvinced, but am usually listening for more info. <- see that?

I was not crazy about how frail the Clarity Alofts were and dislike foam buds so need to try Halos. Been happy though with my Bose headset.

Tim, (happy new year) have you been using these a while? I haven't messed with replacing the plugs cause I think I'm used to them, and similar in high noise workplaces. Others talk about custom fit earpieces to spin on. I seam to be unconvinced, but am usually listening for more info. <- see that?

Since the middle of November. I spent 24 bucks on some "moldable" earpieces and was disappointed. The silicon work great and are just as quick as putting on my Bose headset but without the clamping and sweating in the summer.

I was not crazy about how frail the Clarity Alofts were and dislike foam buds so need to try Halos. Been happy though with my Bose headset.

Halos appear fragile, but I've tried to exit the plane several times without removing them (they're so comfortable I sometimes forget they're still on), and wore them plugged into my handheld radio while mowing along the runway and repainting the numbers. Lots of abuse, no damage other than some white paint on the cord. CA may be the same way, never held a set.

I have a CA and like it for flying in the 182. They also work great if you are tall and try to fly in an aircraft that lacks headroom.

If the earbuds dont fit you, there are audiologists who will make custom molded earbuds for folks like audio engineers. They can probably cast you a pair that is fit for your ear canal.

Clarity Aloft are NOT earbuds. They are more like foam ear plugs.

Halos use a silicon style earplug.
Halos are NOT just silicone earplugs. They come with several different eartips to choose from: multiple sizes of the foamy earplug-style tips, and also triple-flange silicone tips.

Halos are NOT just silicone earplugs. They come with several different eartips to choose from: multiple sizes of the foamy earplug-style tips, and also triple-flange silicone tips.
Good to know, but my main point is that both Halo and CA use ear plugs, not ear buds.

Good to know, but my main point is that both Halo and CA use ear plugs, not ear buds.
....and thus the noise attenuation. Buds not much

Have used QT Halos for a couple/three years - excellent noise attenuation, very appreciated in the hot humid Southeast (used to drench my DCs in sweat), much better price point than CAs. Highly recommended.

Stop thinking about it and get them!! You will love them. I've said what I'm about to say many times in this forum, but I just really like that much

I've been using them for about 9 years now and there's nothing else I would use. I have both the classic pair (which I bought 9 years ago) I used them through flight training. Flight instructing and now I still use the same pair to fly my 182, I've never had one issue with them at all. the sound quality is amazing, and the noise reduction is outstanding. By far more than adequate for piston single and twin flying. I also have the pro version (TSO'd) which I use at work to fly the CRJ series, also very comfortable and great and in that environment. That pair I had one issue with and their customer service and turnaround time was timely and easy. My favorite things about it are first off the light weight and comfort, I hate the clamp over the head of traditional headsets. You can wear any glasses without it breaking the seal of traditional headsets, you can fly and/or on the ground have the headset on but not the ear pieces in so you aren't fumbling with where to keep the headset, or you can have one ear piece in so you can hear both environments etc. they aren't fatiguing for long days as well which is important to me. And most important they don't mess up your hair! :D The only negative to these would be if you don't like ear plugs you would not like them, as for me they don't bother me in the least. I've been using my clarity Alofts for a long time and I don't intend to stop any time soon

Clarity Aloft should pay me for my raving of their product. Attn clarity Aloft if you see this send me some free ear pieces! :cool:

....and thus the noise attenuation. Buds not much

Have used QT Halos for a couple/three years - excellent noise attenuation, very appreciated in the hot humid Southeast (used to drench my DCs in sweat), much better price point than CAs. Highly recommended.
Both are great headsets. To me, the main difference is that CA's cost more, but are mass produced and can be obtained through Sportys or Spruce within 24 hrs, while Halos are made in small batches and while they cost less, there is usually a wait to order.

Both do their job well.

My only complaint with CAs is that they don't provide quite the level of sound protection that DCs with ANR do. They are perfectly fine for typical GA use, but get a bit drowned out at takeoff power in the Twin Beech.

lol, my only complaint was that the first time I used them they did a little bit of a better job at eliminating sounds from the cockpit than I expected, rode in a nice short field landing right on the stall warning horn in my old Diamond DA20, didn't even notice it, meanwhile the passenger was pale trying to figure out what the noise was lololololol

To be a bit of a contrarian, I have been using a CA set for about a year, I think. What everyone says about the noise attenuation is true. Mic quality is good, too.

My ONLY complaint is the wire over the ears. For some reason that bothers me. I can't seem to quite get used to it. I guess that is just me.

But I think I would have to give Bose some serious consideration next time around.

Both Halo and CA use the squishy earpieces similar to the old E*A*R earplugs. In Halo's case the speakers are up in the "headband" and there are tubes connecting into the center of the ear piece. CA puts the speaker in small pods that screw into the ear pieces.

I have a CA and like it for flying in the 182. They also work great if you are tall and try to fly in an aircraft that lacks headroom.
That's why I bought them last year. The Trinidad is shorter than my torso and I couldn't handle the ear clamps rubbing the headliner (and like my buddy said, CAs are cheaper than replacing the headliner).

Love them much more than my passive or ANR DCs

That's why I bought them last year. The Trinidad is shorter than my torso and I couldn't handle the ear clamps rubbing the headliner (and like my buddy said, CAs are cheaper than replacing the headliner).

Love them much more than my passive or ANR DCs

Bought them after the shop installed our second row seats in the first row after the annual. It takes away about an inch and a half of headroom. I thought 'damn, I dont remember the plane being so tight 3 weeks ago' and ordered the CAs ;-)

Back