Claim VA Disability after 3rd class medical

edward lee

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eddie
Hello,

I am student pilot working on PPL. I just got my 3rd class medical with no issue.
While I was working on MedExpress, I answered "no" on 18Y at MedExpress for 3rd class medical since I have not claimed my VA disability yet.

Would it be an issue if I claim VA disability now for physicals issue such as joint problems? NOT PTSD

So long as you truthfully answer disability outcomes on future applications, it’s a nothingburger for most, especially when it comes to standard wear and tear on the body.

So long as you truthfully answer disability outcomes on future applications, it’s a nothingburger for most, especially when it comes to standard wear and tear on the body.
So since I technically did not claim VA before 3rd class medical, even if I claim VA now, I should be fine as long as I answer what I had from VA disability in the future for 2nd class or 1st class medical,

So since I technically did not claim VA before 3rd class medical, even if I claim VA now, I should be fine as long as I answer what I had from VA disability in the future for 2nd class or 1st class medical,
Circumstances change. If they change in between medical exams, you disclose that on the next application. If you already had a diagnosis that is the basis of your disability claim, you would have disclosed that.

Circumstances change. If they change in between medical exams, you disclose that on the next application. If you already had a diagnosis that is the basis of your disability claim, you would have disclosed that.

Exactly.

I have a 2nd class and this exact situation happened to me this year. My original VA claim had been assessed as 0% disabled.

A few years later I got a rather large check out of the blue. Turned out the VA did an audit and reassessed me as 30% disabled for arthritis due to an old shoulder injury.

So on my most recent application I marked that o was receiving disability and put down what I was receiving it for. No issues.

Block 18y only asks about disability benefits, not disabling conditions or physical impairments (which have a different meaning) so you're OK on that block because you weren't getting benefits at the time. Technically, if you had seen a health care provider for joint problems that should have been disclosed on your previous application, and if it was disclosed on the first application there is no problem. If it wasn't disclosed, they may require more information on the condition.

Either way, you might (and probably will) get a letter requesting more information on the joint condition. Be sure to read that letter carefully and submit whatever documents are requested in that letter, but don't provide more information than was requested. What they really want to know is whether the disabling condition prevents you from operating the aircraft in a safe manner.

Block 18y only asks about disability benefits, not disabling conditions or physical impairments (which have a different meaning)…
See the MedExpress User Guide; for question 18.

If you answer Yes to 18y., then comments are required. Per the MedXpress User Guide,

Enter Comments to explain each item you marked Yes.
● Describe the condition as required in the 8500-8 Instructions.
● Your comment must include a description of the situation, and include the approximate date of occurrence.

For 18y, each conditioned diagnosed on the VA decision letter (even if 0%), must be listed. I have over a dozen listed and the FAA didn’t even blink an eye.

Last edited:
Block 18y only asks about disability benefits, not disabling conditions or physical impairments (which have a different meaning) so you're OK on that block because you weren't getting benefits at the time. Technically, if you had seen a health care provider for joint problems that should have been disclosed on your previous application, and if it was disclosed on the first application there is no problem. If it wasn't disclosed, they may require more information on the condition.

Either way, you might (and probably will) get a letter requesting more information on the joint condition. Be sure to read that letter carefully and submit whatever documents are requested in that letter, but don't provide more information than was requested. What they really want to know is whether the disabling condition prevents you from operating the aircraft in a safe manner.

For MedExpress, not sure but didn't see anything ask about common issue such as knee, back and etc. I saw mental issue such PTSD which I would not claim to VA.
So as long as I disclose all on next medical check, most likely 2ndclass medical, I should be fine?

If you answer Yes to 18y., then comments are required. Per the MedXpress User Guide,

● Your comment must include a description of the situation, and include the approximate date of occurrence.

For 18y, each conditioned diagnosed on the VA decision letter (even if 0%), must be listed. I have over a dozen listed and the FAA didn’t even blink an eye.

I haven't claimed VA yet so I put no on 18y. I guess after claiming VA, I will put yes in 18y on next application.

I haven't claimed VA yet so I put no on 18y. I guess after claiming VA, I will put yes in 18y on next application.

While your debating whether or not to make a VA claim I might suggest you consider whether you need any new life insurance policies, too.

That happens on the NEXT application, but the OP legitimately answered NO to 18y on the previous one.

My point is that there is a potential issue with not reporting the underlying joint condition on the previous application if he had seen a health care provider for it. I doubt that will actually be a significant problem but might require more documentation.

That happens on the NEXT application, but the OP legitimately answered NO to 18y on the previous one.

My point is that there is a potential issue with not reporting the underlying joint condition on the previous application if he had seen a health care provider for it. I doubt that will actually be a significant problem but might require more documentation.

Understand, concur, and it’s why I predicated my statement with “If Yes on 18y….”

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back