Civilians working for Military

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
How does this work? My grandfather worked for the Navy for many years, and I am trying to paint a picture in my mind of the kind of interaction he had with his military counterparts. Going through some of his things, I find that he has what appear to be medals, letters of congratulations from admiralty, and even some bars (they might be his, or maybe they belong to a buddy). He had told me that he never went to OTS but got his engineering degree at Cal Tech. I see that he has a patent for broadband radar from back in the early 50s.

wangmyers said:
How does this work? My grandfather worked for the Navy for many years, and I am trying to paint a picture in my mind of the kind of interaction he had with his military counterparts. Going through some of his things, I find that he has what appear to be medals, letters of congratulations from admiralty, and even some bars (they might be his, or maybe they belong to a buddy). He had told me that he never went to OTS but got his engineering degree at Cal Tech. I see that he has a patent for broadband radar from back in the early 50s.
It's just like any other employeer. Most people in my family are employeed by the military, they treat officers like coworkers, which I guess is a little strange for the officers.

wangmyers said:

Didn't have to salute officers when I was a civilian employee of the Navy back in the 70s. Treated them (and the enlisted folks) like co-workers. Got along just fine.

Ben, civilians can be awarded medals, but I don't know how frequently that happens. Journalists Ernie Pyle and Joe Galloway, for example, were both awarded the Bronze Star with "V" (for valor) (and were the only two journalists to ever receive that award).

Ben:
Are you trying to find out more? Your Grandfather may have been commissioned before working as a civilian; could have been a reserve officer, National Guard or many other things. If you share more info with us, we may be able to help with your detective work.

Hey Breneau, when did you start with the CIB? I though you were a flyer; surprised to see you sprotin this prestegious combat award.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Hey Breneau, when did you start with the CIB? I though you were a flyer; surprised to see you sprotin this prestegious combat award.

Not Bob, but I believe he was a 7th Cav ground pounder. Pretty impressive.

Yes, Anthony, I do remember the 7th Cav. Guess I just saw all the rotary wing Bob stuff and assumed. Just didn't recall the ground stuff.

Attention!

Hand salute!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:

Dave
I was a grunt with the 5th Bn, 7th U.S. Cav, 1st Cav Dvn, 1969 in III Corps up near the Cambodian border...

I didn't learn to fly until I was in my late 50's. Spent plenty of time riding around in the back of Huey's, though.

I changed my avatar in response the Hangar Talk post about the old guy with Cav patches :)

Maybe I'll do the 7th U.S. Cav patch next (that was Custer's old unit...).

Thanks for reminding me Bob! Now, I recall you telling me something like that some time ago. Guess I just saw all the rotary wing Bob stuff and forgot.

In '69 I was also in III corps with SF along the Cambodian Border at two different A camps: Tra Cu on the Van Co Dong River on the Four Corps border and up at a place called Thien Ngon. I don't remember the Cav being in our immediate area, where you farther north?

Second tour I was with the Cav in '72 and early '73

Dave

RotaryWingBob said:
I was a grunt with the 5th Bn, 7th U.S. Cav, 1st Cav Dvn, 1969 in III Corps up near the Cambodian border...

I didn't learn to fly until I was in my late 50's. Spent plenty of time riding around in the back of Huey's, though.

I changed my avatar in response the Hangar Talk post about the old guy with Cav patches :)

Maybe I'll do the 7th U.S. Cav patch next (that was Custer's old unit...).

Was that the same unit that went into Ia Drang (IIRC)? The folks portrayed in "We Were Soldiers"? If so, how well did that movie do at portraying the Col? We had to study him a bit at the NCO leadership academy.

Joe:

The Ia Drang battle that was portrayed in the book was much earlier in the war. I'd have to look back and see which Battalion; maybe Bob recalls. I doubt Bob would have run into may folks that were in that battle unless they were on their second tour.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Joe:

The Ia Drang battle that was portrayed in the book was much earlier in the war. I'd have to look back and see which Battalion; maybe Bob recalls. I doubt Bob would have run into may folks that were in that battle unless they were on their second tour.

Dave

Rats. I'd love to meet someone who knew him personally or served under him. He was much pumped in our class as a man whose leadership won battles and an example to follow. As I read up a bit on him, I became convinced they may be right. Still, that was before I was even born, and what is in the books isn't always what reality is!

To Bob and ALL you who served: Thank you. I got to sail with a few greats, some of whom I still hear from on occasion.

Jim

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]In November 1965, 450 U.S. soldiers were dropped into a small clearing in the Ia Drang Valley. They were surrounded by 2,000 North Vietnamese soldiers. 1st Battalion, 7th Cav. and of course Hal Moore.

I was with the 1st of the 7th my second tour. Don't recall any of the guys saying they served with LTC Moore. Heck, a lot of them didn't make it out or were wounded. I'm sure many got out after their tour. The ones left would have been senior to me or senior NCOs. Promotions are pretty quick when guys are dropping like flys.

Maybe Bob knew someone. Doubt he would have been up close and personal with Moore, he would have been a full Colonel in 1969 (if not general by then).

I did know some guys I think would have stood toe-to-toe with him. Some great officers in the Cav. There were also great ones in SF, but completely differnt mission and leadership skills.

Dave
[/FONT]

Back