Civil War musket and a whole lotta books - how to unload?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hello

My Dad has a Civil War musket (no idea what kind but I can find out) that he's thinking of selling. He also has hundreds of Civil War books he has already read at least twice and doesn't see the need to keep the accumulation any more. He'll probably keep some special ones but the rest he'd like to unload.

Any tips? He has had some informal estimates of a worth north of $2000.

He's a luddite - meaning he can't do ebay. In fact I wouldn't even want to do it myself without a good amount of knowledge as to ins and outs. He does have friends who have used ebay extensively, at least as of a few years ago. No idea if ebay has changed very much in the past few years.

Many thanks for any ideas.

When I first read the title I thought you were asking how to unload a civil war musket. The only advice I would have is very, very carefully. :)

When I first read the title I thought you were asking how to unload a civil war musket. The only advice I would have is very, very carefully. :)

My thought too...and my response was "point downrange, pull trigger"

Hello

My Dad has a Civil War musket (no idea what kind but I can find out) that he's thinking of selling.

Some of the period guns are very valuable,

which side of the war used it?
who made it ?
what condition is it in?

you may have a $2000 -$5000 gun, you may have a mantle piece worth much less.

E-bay is not difficult to use Read the instructions

Ebay didnt used to do guns, might try gunbroker.com although being an historical weapon it would be nice to direct the ad at historians.

Email Pawn Stars and see if you can get on the show. Maybe get a free trip to Vegas. ;)

My thought, too. As a (formerly) active muzzleloader shooter, it's actually quite easy. You put a worm (basically a screw) on the end of the cleaning rod, screw it into the lead bullet and pull it out. Pour out the power and you've unloaded it. Failing that, we had a guy with a fixture that went on a grease gun that allowed you to pop it out with some bearing grease. Made a mess to clear up, but it was a good safe way to clear a fouled gun on the firing line. Our safety rules required a gun to be empty before it left the line.

Hello

My Dad has a Civil War musket (no idea what kind but I can find out) that he's thinking of selling. He also has hundreds of Civil War books he has already read at least twice and doesn't see the need to keep the accumulation any more. He'll probably keep some special ones but the rest he'd like to unload.

He's a luddite - meaning he can't do ebay. In fact I wouldn't even want to do it myself without a good amount of knowledge as to ins and outs. He does have friends who have used ebay extensively, at least as of a few years ago. No idea if ebay has changed very much in the past few years.

The books will not grab too much cash. Donating them to the local library will be the easiest way to do something with them. They will be sold by the Friends of the Library at a book sale to raise money for stuff they need. I know this annoys some people, but the books consumers buy are usually not bound to what is needed by a library to lend out. The books would fall apart far too quickly. If you try to sell the books on eBay you won't get a lot and use most of the price up in shipping. Books are easy to come by.

As for the musket is it a replica or actual period piece? The later will get you some more money. You are in the right geographic area to sell that. Lots of collector shops will pay you for it. But expect about 1/2 of what it will sell for because these are resellers. Take it to them and get it priced. That will give you an idea of what to ask on eBay.

The books would be better sold on Amazon Marketplace than Ebay. Avoid all the bidding nonsense.

The gun? Dunno. I would look at a gun shop - you are selling wholesale, but...

(You just American Pickers (or something like that) - they were going around looking for Civil War stuff for a museum in Gettysburgh)

Hello

Civil War re-enactments. There will be folks there that collect stuff & either buy it or recommend you to someone.

If it's a real period piece, it's worth some money. Find someone that can appraise it or estimate the value.

Email Pawn Stars and see if you can get on the show. Maybe get a free trip to Vegas. ;)

I was actually thinking about the show American Pickers. They aired a show last week where they were commissioned to go buy stuff - including guns - for a Gettysburg Civil War museum.

Link to the show online: http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers/videos#american-pickers-civil-war-pickings

Thank you everyone, I will pass this on to my Dad. I hope he gets a decent price for it.

Troy, I got your PM, that would be great, thank you!

Legally, a pre-1899 firearm is not a (controlled) firearm, it is an antique. Cash-and-carry, no FFL, no Form 4473, needed, even crossing state lines.

If you can verify the date of manufacture, and if it isn't an SBR, or a machine gun, you're good to go.

Hmm... reading the law, even if it is manufactured after 1899, if it is a black powder strictly muzzleloading, then it is also exempt.

18 USC 921 said:
(16) The term “antique firearm” means—
(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
(B ) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—
(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.​

Edit: Although local laws my be more restrictive. I'm looking for it, but for example, I think California requires registration on Pistols, even antique, but long guns are good to go.

--Carlos V.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips everyone, I have no clue about these things. So cool all the hobbies people have here!

OK, here is what I know so far:

1860 musket. Real deal. Forged in Harper's Ferry. Springfield 58 caliber.

He said the spring needs to be replaced to make the hammer work.

is this resolved? I ran into an acquaintance who is a huge civil war history buff, says he knows the value of such an object and would be willing to direct you to the correct place. If needed, pm me.

Hi again everyone

Not resolved, but, it's fallen off the radar screen apparently with my Dad - at least for now. Apparently (from a PM) it's a pretty rare musket. I don't know a heck of a lot but I did tell my Dad this should be appraised professionally which probably means finding someone down in the DC area.

I recently brought up something similar with my watchmaker, who sells watches in a number of venues. There are probably antique auctions in your area that sell such items. Cost for their services can be high, but you get top dollar in the sale, if the items are placed appropriately. There are also antique stores and consignment stores. These will give your items shelf space, usually without a fee. You tell them what you want to see out of the items. The bad thing is if the store can get more than that, they pocket the difference. The good thing is you get what you wanted out of your item.

This months NRA National Rifleman has an article your dad would be interested in. And it also mentions the difference between the 1855 and 1861 that someone else referenced.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh.. found you.... I saw your note...
I have a few !!! Don't know how to get a pic on here..but - I have about 15 or so -- NICE Civil War Muskets.... My weakness for sure - have been into them since the early 1950's... Give me all the info on the one you guys have ..and I can either give you an offer -- if I want it...or -- tell you very honestly - what it is worth....
My regular mail is ... truks1atmsndotcom
Shoot me the info !! Thanks...top

A neighbor of mine, about 25 yrs ago, showed me his workshop one afternoon. His hobby was restoring Civil War muskets, rifles, and handguns. It was pretty cool to see the difference between what he started with, somethimes they just looked like lumps of dirt, and what the finished firearm looked like.

Could not help seeing the CIVIL WAR MUSKET ... I have about a dozen or more of them...ALL are REAL -- ACTUAL Civil Was pieces ...
Been collecting them since 1954...and -- restoring them....
Tell your dad......that I would like to see it....pics are fine....and -- I will tell him what he has...and -- if it is not one I have already -- I would give him a very fair price..I know the values.... Since buying my first one in BANNERMANS for 14 bucks..(in 1954)..they have gone up considerably....:) Shoot me a mail...............I'm all ears...... and the "ring" is on the CAT..... top

Back