Civil Air Patrol Revisited

121Dispatch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FltPlanner
With the media coverage of the Fossett search, my interest in the CAP has been re-sparked. I've done a search, and read all the posts from a thread back in 2005, and realize it isn't for everyone. In fact, I'm not sure how I would do in a "military" environment. On the other hand, I have a single engine COMM/IR that I feel is being somewhat wasted. I have no desire to fly for the airlines anymore, nor do I see myself using my certs as a way of income (maybe some part time instructing once I decide to get my CFI/CFII). I also don't have a tremendous amount of disposable income for just burning holes in the sky.

I have a new job which provides me with weekly alternating 3 or 4 days off, so in addition to my 'wasted' certificates, I also have a lot of free time that could be put to constructive use.

Alright, on to the question...how much flying time is able to be logged in an average year with the CAP?

I'm considering joining for both the ability to meet and work with folks in the area and flying aspects. I will probably head down to a CAP squadron later this week, but was just looking for any information from the best community on the web!!!:D

Last edited:
It is a fantastic organization. You are correct, it is not for everyone, but the more you put into it the more you get out of it!

SM Tom Dager
ES Officer
Falcon Field - Peachtree City Composite Squadron

Considering the demand for flight instructors, that might well be a worthwhile investment to spend those extra days and then some. From what I'm seeing, the average flight instructor pay right now is about $22-25 an hour. I saw a few, lessor volume schools up to $30 an hour.

You could probably get needed financing from Sallie Mae at a decent interest rate. The only problem with them is having to use an approved school. There are a few other flight training resources with lessor restrictions.

The one I got to know before Sallie Mae came through for me is:
http://www.pilotfinance.com/pages/539359/index.htm

AOPA has their own program but I know nothing about it:
http://www.aopa.org/info/certified/funds.html

I understand there's a halfway decent airport in the southeast corner of Denver metro area. :D

Ya might even drift over there and speak to some schools.

Good luck with your plans.

Considering the demand for flight instructors, that might well be a worthwhile investment

Really quick off the subject...Kenny, you interested in a house off exit 101 (I-85)? As soon as I get rid of that investment I can move on to this one.;)

Alright, back to CAP stuff...

Really quick off the subject...Kenny, you interested in a house off exit 101 (I-85)? As soon as I get rid of that investment I can move on to this one.;)
Is it about a mile northeast of 85 and Indian Trail? That little area is kind of depressed!

I'll let others figure that one out. :D

Man, as much as I'd love to have a shorter drive to PDK, I can't bring myself to live in around that many people. It's still fairly quiet up here in Flowery Branch now that the PETA folks have gone away. Although, five years ago had very little on my exit. Now, there's a Publix shopping center and they're building a Home Depot and Kohl's on the other side. So, I do fear it won't be long before I'll find a quieter spot between one of the parallels at ATL. :eek:

PM the address to me and agent contact. I'd be curious enough to take a peek.

In addition to CAP and flight instructing, don't forget about the good works you can do with LifeLine Pilots and AngelFlight!

Now, back to CAP. :)

In addition to CAP and flight instructing, don't forget about the good works you can do with LifeLine Pilots and AngelFlight!

Now, back to CAP. :)
And for those of us lucky to live close enough to water the Coast Guard Aux Air program is very nice. We fly a lot more closely with the active duty side and share in their missions. That is unlike CAP which has their own mission and does little work directly for the USAF. Here on the west side of Lake Michigan there only is Coast Guard Aux from October through March.

If you join CAP because you want to serve, and to aid in the accomplishment of the CAP's threefold mission (emergency services/search and rescue, the cadet program, and aerospace education of the public), it can be a great experience. If you join CAP just for free/cheap flying time, you will almost certainly not be happy. The military aspect is underlying, but it's really not the Army (even though you'll find a couple of folks there who want it to be a paramilitary organization, not a civilian auxiliary). Check it out, try it out, and see if you fit in.

Back