civil air patrol question.

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
Are any of ya'll involved with the civil air patrol? What can you tell me about it?

:popcorn: here we go again! Where's Ben, we need Ben in on this,

You might Google CAPTALK, too, which is thier unofficial forum. Truly, luck of the draw, matching who you are to a squadron - it could work for you, or, might not.

LoL from reading the thread velocity posted I can see that I just opened a can of worms. :(

Read that link, I'm not getting dragged into the CAP talk, said my piece in there

1. Go visit a local squadron. It's the only way to get a feel.
2. Join for other reasons than free or cheap flying time. You have to do a lot for that, and even as a fully qualified mission pilot, I still rent for non-CAP purposes.
3. Get off this board. It is a huge source of wild misinformation in this regard.

I've already reached out to the utah wing. Hopefully I will get setup with a meeting this week.

1. Go visit a local squadron. It's the only way to get a feel.
2. Join for other reasons than free or cheap flying time. You have to do a lot for that, and even as a fully qualified mission pilot, I still rent for non-CAP purposes.
3. Get off this board. It is a huge source of wild misinformation in this regard.

Better stay off all non CAP boards then, from what I've seen most pilot forums don't hold the CAP in high regard, especially the working pilot and backcountry ones.

I've already reached out to the utah wing. Hopefully I will get setup with a meeting this week.
That's probably the way to go - take look, see if it suits you. It might be something you do for a while, get some value from, and then move on, as the ROI drops.

I realized when I am home I have a lot of free time. So I thought of joining CAP as something to do and offset some of the price of flying. Basically got the same advise online and from people in it. 1. Don't do it for discounted/free flying 2. Visit multiple squadrons cause not all are the same. Went to one and one of the guys there was also an active duty pilot like me. Said it takes more paperwork to fly the CAP 182 than it does in the C-17. He can't fly it out of state, can only bring CAP members or cadets in the plane, and most of the time he is paying for the plane. Enough for me to say, "My free time and money can be better spent elsewhere."

OP. There are obviously people who love CAP and those who hate it and those who are neutral. The only way you will know where you will stand on the issue is to give it a try for yourself. Since you are already curious about it, I say go for it.

Back