Citation I down near ATL

Well, I know the weather wasn't bad around here. Been nice most of the day. Was in Kennesaw two days ago.

RIP

Horrible news! My condolences to the families.

Will be following this one.

:(

"Tullan Avard, a homeowner in Kennesaw's Chastain Lakes subdivision, says she saw a small plane spiraling down and heard a "huge boom," followed by a large plume of smoke not far from her neighborhood.

Avard says the plane appeared to be flying normally before it began to drop."

Like @Velocity173 said, weather has been around fairly good around there today. Will definitely be staying up to date on this.

Just heard about this after I landed tonight. Heard he had reported control problems.

I landed 10 minutes before this happened. Weather definitely not a factor. Sad :(

Hits close to home! It looks like it was based at FTY, I am not sure that I recognize the airplane. Weather was great here last night, RIP to the pilot.

if 'control problem', the only thing that pops is runaway trim, although the issue I'm thinking of was supposed to have been fixed years ago.

Media reports say pilot radioed that he was having "autopilot problems". Also lots of consistent eyewitness reports that sound like he spun in.

if 'control problem', the only thing that pops is runaway trim, although the issue I'm thinking of was supposed to have been fixed years ago.
I'm in recurrent on the CE-500 right now. One of the things we discussed this week is how sometimes we (as pilots) assume the problem is autopilot related or pitch trim when it reality the aircraft is doing exactly what we inadvertently told it to do (like putting it in the wrong mode). But in the heat of battle, it is easy to get fixated on our assumptions.

One of the downsides of single pilot jets. When you get fixated, you don't have anyone else to catch it.

Last edited:
Back