Citabrias

That's probably true but competition aerobatics is not something that a very large number of pilots are interested in.

Believe me, I understand that. All I'm saying is that your average recreational pilots who farts around with aerobatics thinks of aerobatics only in terms of positive G rolls, loops, and maybe an occasional spin. There's a whole world more of precision acro skills to develop, that a 7ECA Citabria won't be much good for.

And I agree about watching people like John Mohr in his Stearman. I'm not crazy about Sean Tucker's flying either, but he IS a very talented and skilled pilot. But I can also appreciate a precision routine in a high-perf plane flown by someone like Matt Chapman. I like the challenge of the precision associated with competition style acro. Watching a Pitts do a perfect vertical up 3/4 snap, to a perfect hammerhead, to a perfect outside snap down is beautiful to me, because I know what goes into it and appreciate the refined technique involved. You average airshow spectator (or even pilot) would not know the difference. Most don't even appreciate or understand the difference between the braindead easy positive G roll and a precision level roll. Airshows are about being 'showy' and entertaining, not necessarily skillful. The best flying to me combines a high level of showmanship, precision, and skill. Very few do that.

Last edited:
Back