Citabria down at Dare County, missed banner.

"The hook caught on a flap that controls the plane’s lift instead of the banner, causing her to lose control, Crumpler said."

Uhh... Say again??

"The hook caught on a flap that controls the plane’s lift instead of the banner, causing her to lose control, Crumpler said."

Uhh... Say again??
Sounds like a layman's explanation of an elevator.

Wow... reading this story gave me a bad flash back.

My first (and only) lesson in banner towing. The person telling me what to do was flying the plane. He said to not let the hook hit the ground. That is exactly what he did. The hook came around and stuck in the elevator which then forced the elevator all the way down causing a very abrupt pitch down at 20 ft agl. Instantaneously I yanked the throttle to idle and yanked the yoke into my tummy. That was just enough to plant all 3 wheels on the ground with one terrific bounce.

What shook me while reading the story is that my experience happened at....... Dare County Regional Airport.

Last edited:
Banner tow is often done in too much of a rush. It's a paid gig that only goes for an hour or sometimes less. So, picking up the banner as fast as possible is the order of the day. Which leads to unstabilized or poorly stabilized approach to pick up when you really need to be extra-stabilized.

Most Citabria pilots tape the hook to the left strut near the window so you can take off without dragging on the runway. They don't like that. Then, after in the air, you reach out and unstrap the hook from the strut and throw it down and away from the tail. It can get snagged on the elevator then. Or, after you get a good hook deployment, you go around to pick up the banner, and strike the hook on the ground before the banner loop, then it bangs up and around and can strike something on the tail.

The best instruction I got was to S-l-o-w-d-o-w-n when doing banner ops. Don't rush the take off, don't rush the hook deploy, don't rush the pick up, and don't try to climb out too fast with the banner on. Just take your time, and make sure you do it right once.

I picked up one banner, and tower usually comes on and says; 'banner tow 3Mike Yankee, good banner, climb to 1500 feet' (or something to let you know). If you aren't at a tower, you have the ground helper call 'good banner' or something to let you know. Well, tower came on and said ' uh - banner tow, we're going to need a mirror, the letters are backwards.' Sure enough, the tow pole was hooked to the wrong end of the lettering. Had to go around and drop it then wait for them to run the pole around to the right side, and set the pickup loop again. Doh...

Wow... reading this story gave me a bad flash back.

My first (and only) lesson in banner towing. The person telling me what to do was flying the plane. He said to not let the hook hit the ground. That is exactly what he did. The hook came around and stuck in the elevator which then forced the elevator all the way down causing a very abrupt pitch down at 20 ft agl. Instantaneously I yanked the throttle to idle and yanked the yoke into my tummy. That was just enough to plant all 3 wheels on the ground with one terrific bounce.

What shook me while reading the story is that my experience happened at....... Dare County Regional Airport.

Dejavu all over again, huh?

I was just down there a couple of weeks ago with the family. I saw two of the banner planes take off and make some rather abrupt moves on take off and then come swooping around in the pattern. I was getting ready to go into the FBO to report some rather bad flying when I saw them pick up the banners next to the runway and it all made sense. It can make for some unusually flying that is for sure.

A pilot named "Jenny Hawk" and the cops name is "Crumpler" sounds fishy. :yes:

I was going to fly with Jenny last year. Was going to fly from dare into first flight but she had a student who was running late and I couldn't wait. Glad she's good

Last edited:
It would not be an official POA thread if I don't come in and ask something stupid. How do you drop or release the banner?

Glad to here the pilot is ok!

It would not be an official POA thread if I don't come in and ask something stupid. How do you drop or release the banner?

Glad to here the pilot is ok!

You have a pelican hook under the back of the tail with a cable to the latch shackle connected to a handle next to the pilot. You take a grappling hook and a long enough tether to reach the cockpit and splice the hook to one end and splice an eye fiddle into the other. Before T/O you put the eye in the pelican hook and secure the latch, and put the hook through the window. You T/O and climb to pick store up some energy, then dive for the pickup loop for the banner which is supported between a pair of 11' high posts.as you get down to the bottom you toss the hook so it trails behind you and you drag it through the space between the poles so the hook snatches the loop, then you pull into a hard climb dissipating the excess energy you climbed for, as you snatch the banner off the ground without dragging and damaging it. After you finish your tour with that one, you drag it over the drop off area and pull the handle to release it. Pro banner planes will have multiple hooks and tethers so you can drop one and pick up the next without landing.

What happened to her was the hook bounced off the ground or something and went over the tail, and when the banner snatched up, the tail was in a bight and the tether tore through it.

Last edited:
You have a pelican hook under the back of the tail with a cable to the latch shackle connected to a handle next to the pilot. You take a grappling hook and a long enough tether to reach the cockpit and splice the hook to one end and splice an eye fiddle into the other. Before T/O you put the eye in the pelican hook and secure the latch, and put the hook through the window. You T/O and climb to pick store up some energy, then dive for the pickup loop for the banner which is supported between a pair of 11' high posts.as you get down to the bottom you toss the hook so it trails behind you and you drag it through the space between the poles so the hook snatches the loop, then you pull into a hard climb dissipating the excess energy you climbed for, as you snatch the banner off the ground without dragging and damaging it. After you finish your tour with that one, you drag it over the drop off area and pull the handle to release it. Pro banner planes will have multiple hooks and tethers so you can drop one and pick up the next without landing.

What happened to her was the hook bounced off the ground or something and went over the tail, and when the banner snatched up, the tail was in a bight and the tether tore through it.

Makes sense thank you

Not pertinent to the story, but a piece of trivia...the Citabria 7GCBC has flaps.

Jim

I appreciate the confirmation. My comment was more around how a hook trailing a distance behind the plane gets caught on a high wing control surface.

A reporter just called either the elevator or horizontal stabilizer a flap, didn't they call the elevator a flipper in the old days

Back