Cirrus vs. Mooney - BRS?

I have to admit I find it rather ironic the Chinese government owns a US company flogging exclusive luxury flying baubles to wealthy Americans. Not exactly what Mao intended with "the great leap forward", LOL. Who could have imagined...

Yeah well, the chinese are playing the 100 year long ball game. We're playing checkers by continually ceding our sovereignty for a hamburger today. America always was a land of cheap traders after all. Outsourcing our production capacity of well, everything, for a quarter of a century now, for the sake of a quarterly profit fetish from the aristocrat crowd. Real bush league move.

GA planes are part of that casualty and myopia, even if it doesn't seem like the highest national security priority to protect. The chinese are not in this to do us a solid. Frankly I think the elites have already largely conceded the eventuality of the power change to the new Empire. Americans will continue to have to grapple with lowering standards of living as a result of that surrender.

As to the piston market, you're 100% right. Look at what Textron is doing to V-tails right now, and the combo of frantic denial and mouth-foaming from that crowd currently. 4 G36s and 300 Cirri ain't gonna do jack to recapture that exodus when it begins in earnest. I guess EABs is the only cohort that has our back, and by "our" I mean us types who will never own a new production aircraft in present pricing circumstances. The FAA really boned us by killing primary non-commercial. We really could have done something with that allowance. They really effed us on that one, especially on the backdrop of new production airplanes not being an accessible market for most of us piston GA patrons.

Last edited:
Cost of entry for 22 is way way higher. Cost of ownership too. Maintenance cost to repack the chute alone is formidable. Insurance higher too.

22 requires a high disposble income. If not for all that i wouldve been in the market for one.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I don't and nor should anybody. That's the beauty of capitalism. But I do believe there is demand that exists for single engine aircraft that cost less than $1M, and obvious indicators that buyers are tired of the "old" products and hungry for something new, hence Cirrus' success.. hell I feel like most people think ill of Cirrus, yet they're the sales leader right now in single engine sales. Who knows, maybe with the Jet we'll see Cirrus eventually abandon the piston GA market as well, frankly I'm surprised they still offer an SR20

The SR20, DA40 and the C172 all are in the half million price range. I think Piper has a couple planes in that range, but I do not know the product line well enough.

The point, if it was easy, than someone else would have already done it.

Tim

I am going to disagree and say the Chute must play a major role as that Cessna TTX thingy went tits up and appeared to look and feel like a Cirrus on the inside.
It was a shame. That was a sweet plane.

The SR20, DA40 and the C172 all are in the half million price range. I think Piper has a couple planes in that range, but I do not know the product line well enough.

The point, if it was easy, than someone else would have already done it.

Tim

I think piper has the right idea with their new trainers and their pricing. I hope they take off like wild fire.

Yeah, Piper always been true to the ga market. Good on them!

shoulder harness used to bother my wife too though
Too bad, do you miss her?

hqdefault.jpg

The elephant in the room is that the FAA is really at fault for the state of GA.

I think the real issues are the declining purchasing power of the upper middle class/middle class and product liability.

Specifically on product liability is the poor coverage carried by the pilot owners. In this day, 1 million per seat liability should be a minimum. If you think killing someone with a plane is expensive, try a serious injury. Medical costs alone could be a million.

People have money, but somehow the romance of aviation has died.. actually, golf, sailing, skiing, are all dwindling.. which is odd, it seems every other person has the newest iPhone, drives a Tesla, spends $12/day on Starbucks and goes out to dinner every night because "we don't know how to cook and groceries are so expensive"

Interest/hobbies and spending habits are changing. Not just Teslas, but other pricey autos as well.

Homes are getting bigger. More money is being spent on smart phones, internet, and entertainment. College is pricey and more people are going to college. On top of that many kids study and travel abroad. My travel abroad growing up was a trip to Niagara Falls and we drove to the Canadian side for part of one day. I went to Quebec for work a couple of times and a trip to Mexico; all without a passport (pre 9-11). My first trip with a passport was when I was 30 because we got a deal to ski in France that was cheaper than going to Colorado. My kids (ages 28, 22 & 20) on the other hand have been to at least a dozen countries each; including two or three countries I haven't been to.

I know a lot of people that eat out regularly. We tend to cook. Even after the kids went to college we tend to cook for four and bring the leftovers into work for lunch. It's generally healthier food and cheaper too.

I think the real issues are the declining purchasing power of the upper middle class/middle class and product liability.

Specifically on product liability is the poor coverage carried by the pilot owners. In this day, 1 million per seat liability should be a minimum. If you think killing someone with a plane is expensive, try a serious injury. Medical costs alone could be a million.
All of those are elephants as well. Just smaller than the FAA elephant.

I've owned four Mooneys and one Cirrus (in addition to a number of other airplanes). I sold the SR22 after 4 months. Give me a Mooney any day.
Given the sales figures, that would put you in the minority. But, hey, they still sell Morgan three-wheelers ...

Given the sales figures, that would put you in the minority. But, hey, they still sell Morgan three-wheelers ...

I am perfectly happy being in the minority.

Buggati is in the minority of automobile makers.

Screaming Eagle is in the minority of wine makers.

Stradivarius is in the minority of string instrument makers.

Yea . . . I am perfectly happy being in the minority.

Me too. I fly a bellanca super viking.

Serial murders are in the minority.

Dictators are in the minority.

Trisomy is in the minority...

Just sayin

Trisomy is in the minority...

Just sayin
Touche.