Cirrus Vision Jet-Certified...Finally

@Cavorter Safe to say you wont be buying a Cirrus then? You've made every point you could to explain how horrible it was. Your wife must be the only one on the planet that thinks that plane is ugly especially judging by the astronomical sales they are having.

@Cavorter Safe to say you wont be buying a Cirrus then? You've made every point you could to explain how horrible it was. Your wife must be the only one on the planet that thinks that plane is ugly especially judging by the astronomical sales they are having.
It's an ugly looking plane IMO but I'd still buy it if I had the money!

No accounting for taste. I tend to agree that a used tbm is a better value. I still like a metal airplane. Will be interesting to learn about this airplanes handling characteristics and control feedback. I hope it's a success, and I hope it's a safe quality airframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are on the Turbo Prop and Turbine level I don't think having a chute is going to help much in my opinion. You are dealing with higher speeds and for the chute to be effective you need to be at 110 or slower. I also would like to see where does the chute exit the plane from. As far as styling which is subjective I like it and 2MM is a good addition to the Cirrus brand. I would like to see them come up with a Diesel twin with a chute to compete with Diamond.

Vpd is 133 KIAS. Cirrus did 45 drop tests, "at speeds approaching 175 knots". There have been successful deployments up to 190 KIAS. Even at the high end that's lower than the 300 knot cruise speed of the SF50.

Hey I wonder how fast the chutes on the apollo capsule were rated for? It can be done.

Wait, looked it up:

The ELS was designed so the drogue chutes slow the descent down to roughly 200 km/h (124 mi/h) before the pilot chutes pull the main chutes, eventually slowing down the CM to 22 miles per hour (35 km/h) for splashdown and to roughly 24.5 mi/h (39.5 km/h) with only two main chutes properly deployed, as it happened during the Apollo 15 splashdown.

So in normal atmospheric entry (not launch abort), the diagram for manual deployment of the drogues describes the region in altitudes between 40,000 and 25,000 feet (12.2 - 7.6 km) and CM velocity between mach 0.7 and 0.3. Translating that to US standard atmosphere in 1962 figures, 0.7 mach at 40,000 feet equals roughly 206 m/s (743 km/h or 461 mi/h) and 0.3 mach at 25,000 feet equals roughly 94 m/s (338 km/h or 210 mi/h). That averages out at 32,500 ft (9.9 km) and velocity of 150 m/s (540 km/h or 336 mi/h).

http://space.stackexchange.com/ques...llo-11s-reentry-speed-at-parachute-deployment

@Cavorter ...Your wife must be the only one on the planet that thinks that plane is ugly especially judging by the astronomical sales they are having.

Nope, she isn't the only one. That thing is as ugly as a sack of smashed arseholes but I think the SR20/22 is a beautiful airplane.
<----- not a Cirrus hater and one who believes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To each his own...yadda yadda yadda.

Nope, she isn't the only one. That thing is as ugly as a sack of smashed arseholes but I think the SR20/22 is a beautiful airplane.
<----- not a Cirrus hater and one who believes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To each his own...yadda yadda yadda.

Glad you are not a cirrus hater. I've owned 2 and will probably be 3 or 4 by the time I quit. Would I buy a Cirrus Jet Not sure, maybe. I love the Meridian and a used one is in my price range. A new jet not gonna happen on my measly salary :)

I'm a Mooney guy but think the jet is way better looking than the SR22...

Vpd is 133 KIAS. Cirrus did 45 drop tests, "at speeds approaching 175 knots". There have been successful deployments up to 190 KIAS. Even at the high end that's lower than the 300 knot cruise speed of the SF50.

To your point though, 300 KTAS at FL280 is 191KIAS so it's in the ballpark. At to that the more complex two stage deployment sequence of the SF50 chute and the fact that it has autopilot assisted programing to get the plane into the deployment envelope prior to firing the pyro and it should certainly work for that airframe. Of course the programming introduces a potential delay but I'm guessing it is pretty clever.

To your point though, 300 KTAS at FL280 is 191KIAS so it's in the ballpark. At to that the more complex two stage deployment sequence of the SF50 chute and the fact that it has autopilot assisted programing to get the plane into the deployment envelope prior to firing the pyro and it should certainly work for that airframe. Of course the programming introduces a potential delay but I'm guessing it is pretty clever.

Short of structural damage I don't know that you'd want the chute popping out at FL280; the pressurization would drop out if it's an engine failure. Now, if the wings or tails broke off.... :eek: PULL!

Short of structural damage I don't know that you'd want the chute popping out at FL280; the pressurization would drop out if it's an engine failure. Now, if the wings or tails broke off.... :eek: PULL!

I agree 100% as an operator. But as an engineer if you are going to put the system in, you have to do the work to ensure success under a fairly wide range of parameters and a cruise deployment is in the spec (if nothing else to account for a possible accidental deployment). I have confirmed this directly with Cirrus engineers.

I still don't think we will see a chute deployment anytime in the near future. Most deployments in the SR22 have been some combination of engine related, (that turbine is going to have a very low failure rate), poor IFR skills (the type rating is going to exclude most of those pilots) icing, (the jet should be much more capable and FIKI). Plus the new GX000 planes have envelope protection. Even the G1000 PA46's/P46T's have a perfect fatal record (since they were introduced in 2009) with synthetic vision, extremely redundant avionics, 2-3 of every critical avionics unit. The technology in these cabin class aircraft has merged well with relative conscientious pilots such that their safety record is approaching what you would expect from a turbine powered flight level machine.

I didn't see any information on testing, correct me if I'm wrong. I also noticed that Cirrus didn't have to get FAA approved for the CAPS system because it's considered "An addition"

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...not-required-for-cirrus-jets-parachute-system

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...sf50-whole-airplane-parachute-recovery-system

Don't get me wrong, The Cirrus SR22 is one of my favorite airplanes but I wouldn't be a crash dummy for the SF50. I would wait to purchase a few years out and let people break theirs first.

Back