Cirrus SF50 crashes on takeoff from KLAN 8/24

3393RP

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
3393RP
The aircraft went through the perimeter fence after failing to get airborne. Fortunately the pilot and passengers escaped unharmed before the plane caught fire and burned.

Apparently the tower advised the pilot of wind shear, and he accepted a downwind takeoff as a gust front blew in. This photo of the plane burning clearly shows a weather front had just passed.

KathrynsReport.jpg

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/08/cirrus-sf50-vision-jet-n1gg-accident.html?m=0

Downwind takeoff with a gust front coming behind you. And a 20 kt loss windshear report. Oh well, launch anyway!

Yikes. Now there is a great example of ADM.

I was looking at some older accidents the other day, Ottis Redding & the Stevie Ray Vaughan accidents. These both happened in WI, 1967 & 1990. As is so often is the case, adverse weather heavily factored in, which backs up to ADM.

One needs the mindset, you really never have to be anywhere.

And we wonder why insurance keeps going up

“It was three gentleman and an older lady, all maybe in their 50′s,” Vanholder said.

What the…. all in their 50’s but only the female is “older”? Sexist! No wait, it was a female that said this. No wait, I’m assuming Victoria Vanholder is female. I’m the sexist, or trans-ist, or crossdresser-ist, or something. And anyway, who says 50s is old? Ageist!

That’s unfair. Pilots of all income levels and net worth can fall victim to poor decision making.

But how many poor pilots own a jet?

And the winds were crazy about that time. I was playing softball at the time and the winds shifted from blowing in, to blowing out, towards first, towards third. If they would have waited an hour it all calmed down.

And really? That's the tail number you're going with?

Last edited:
“It was three gentleman and an older lady, all maybe in their 50′s,” Vanholder said.

What the…. all in their 50’s but only the female is “older”? Sexist! No wait, it was a female that said this. No wait, I’m assuming Victoria Vanholder is female. I’m the sexist, or trans-ist, or crossdresser-ist, or something. And anyway, who says 50s is old? Ageist!
:)

Well, she didn't say "cougar"... ;)

(Ducks and runs)

Maybe she was 150...

Downwind, thunder storm blasting in, took the downwind departure so he wouldn't fly into the T storm, was told it was a 7 knot wind, then updated to a 20+ knot wind shear.

I'm thinking this guy has gotten away with this before, but his luck ran out. Sounds like he may have moved down from a Citation 500.

All in the comments on Katheryn's report.

It's the 4WD mythology. Back when my coworker bought a 4WD Jeep he was always bragging about how great 4WD was and allowed him to go anywhere in any conditions. Of course, that's not true. Same thining with the jet, "hey it's a jet, we can do anything now!"

As for my coworker, he came in one morning with this:
Joe: You'll never guess what I came across on the beltway driving home last night?
Me: What?
Joe: A dead body.
Me: Nothing the 4WD couldn't handle?

That became a signature line for a while. One day I rolled up on a fully-involved fire scene. After extinguishing the Jeep Wagoneer, the Maryland State Trouper comes over and asks if I want to know what caused it. This is almost always going to be something interesting (the last seven car pile-up they asked me that turned out to be a flock of baby ducks crossing the interstate). Apparently, this guy was driving and one of the wheels came off the car. He just put it in 4WD (well now 3WD) and kept going.

Maybe they can modify the Safe Return™ software to not let the pilot takeoff in such conditions.

Well if GM can make it so you can't put your vehicle into drive without putting on your seatbelt, it should be easy enough to compare airspeed to GPS ground speed when the wheels are on the ground and if airspeed is a certain amount less than ground speed, it kills the throttle and autobrakes.

The scary one on my Ram truck is that if you try to back or go forward with the driver's door open (like you're checking for clearance), the thing slams on the brakes, shifts to park, and sets the parkign brake. All without giving you any indication of why. Took me a while to figure that one out.

The scary one on my Ram truck is that if you try to back or go forward with the driver's door open (like you're checking for clearance), the thing slams on the brakes, shifts to park, and sets the parkign brake. All without giving you any indication of why. Took me a while to figure that one out.

That's the shifter that came out in 2015 that gives no tactile feel as to which gear the truck is in. It killed Anton Yelchin, which in turn caused Fiat/Chrysler to develop software that puts the truck in park if you have the door open without your seat belt on.

Mine's a 2020 model and it now does give feedback (park is turning it to the left until it stops) but it locks you up even if you have your seat belt on.

Mine's a 2020 model and it now does give feedback (park is turning it to the left until it stops) but it locks you up even if you have your seat belt on.

I've got the 2015 jeep GC, sounds like they incorporated that "feature" into the newer models. I believe they stopped using the shifter style that made it necessary pretty quickly.

Well if GM can make it so you can't put your vehicle into drive without putting on your seatbelt, it should be easy enough to compare airspeed to GPS ground speed when the wheels are on the ground and if airspeed is a certain amount less than ground speed, it kills the throttle and autobrakes.
If you are old enough, you'll remember the seat-belt interlocks installed in the mid-1970s. Same thing.

It's the 4WD mythology. Back when my coworker bought a 4WD Jeep he was always bragging about how great 4WD was and allowed him to go anywhere in any conditions. Of course, that's not true. Same thining with the jet, "hey it's a jet, we can do anything now!"

As for my coworker, he came in one morning with this:
Joe: You'll never guess what I came across on the beltway driving home last night?
Me: What?
Joe: A dead body.
Me: Nothing the 4WD couldn't handle?

That became a signature line for a while. One day I rolled up on a fully-involved fire scene. After extinguishing the Jeep Wagoneer, the Maryland State Trouper comes over and asks if I want to know what caused it. This is almost always going to be something interesting (the last seven car pile-up they asked me that turned out to be a flock of baby ducks crossing the interstate). Apparently, this guy was driving and one of the wheels came off the car. He just put it in 4WD (well now 3WD) and kept going.

And this fits in with the thread discussion how? o_O

Maybe they can modify the Safe Return™ software to not let the pilot takeoff in such conditions.
I'd like to see a "Takeoff not advised due to conditions: Proceed Yes/No" button.

Same on my Model S, and it's not subtle about it.

If the weather was bad enough to avoid 28L with a quick 180 degree turn after takeoff than surely 10R could only be worse. Rule number one with nearby thunderstorms is expect a gust front. So avoidable!

Exactly why I don't want a new car.. too smart.. mine is a 2011 is on the cusp of being too much. Thankfully there's no touchscreen, has analog climate controls, and no real 'smart' features. I do get XM though and 4 wheel drive with diff locks so I can go anywhere ;)

Probably my top hated feature on new cars is how the turn signals operate.. anytime I'm in a rental I can't just tap it right or left like when switching lanes on the highway. Awful

I didn't buy this thing to have to wait on the weather.....yee yee! :D
#bluefalcons #whywecanthavenicethings

Maybe they knew the risk, and decided to take off anyway. But maybe they didn't know what a 20 knot windshear meant. Both assuming the KR comments are correct, and they took off with a 7k tailwind with 20k windsheer predicted...and that's a big assumption.

I was going to go up today and do some practice in the lance. Bunch of big build ups off the field kept me on ground. Buddy and I hanging out at field watching the system move by. Was amazing how fast it went from 3-4 out of the west to 15 out of the east. We just watched the windsock flip.
Temp probably dropped 15-20 degrees. Would make for a bad day if you were on approach or blasting off at the wrong time without windsock in sight

Back