Cirrus Pilots- Answer me this...

Just to through a monkey wrench into the thread and try to derail it from the obvious, usual Cirrus bash fest, I add this.

Many will defend the J-3 Cub pilot the right to blast into and out of the pattern without any radio calls to the death. The FARs make no mention of radio requirements and therefore all is well, regardless of the potential mid air, or ground indecent. However, the guy with his strobes on is a safety hazard? Why? Because they hurt your little eye balls?

There are no FARs that say that you can't taxi with your strobes on to my knowledge. Therefore, live and let live. My guess is, no one will crash into this guy. Stop the Cirrus witch hunt.

Not speaking to Cirrus pilots alone. IMHO running your strobes at night on the ramp and taxiways is discourteous to your fellow pilots. Your call of course.

... You'll be riding at least one brake non-stop if you taxi < 1000 RPM and there is any quartering surface wind. I taxi at 1000 maybe 1200 tops.

That said, you should be able to maintain the taxi line in a Tiger with minimal braking (usually at the apex of the turn). It's the LONG straight taxi with quartering wind that requires powering up some to get the rudder to be a little useful.

This does not match my experience in an SR22. In the SR22, you can't count on rudder doing anything until the take-off roll. If you are willing to let the nose a few inches off the yellow line, the taxi is much easier.

This does not match my experience in an SR22. In the SR22, you can't count on rudder doing anything until the take-off roll. If you are willing to let the nose a few inches off the yellow line, the taxi is much easier.

My experience, as well. I wish the nosewheel didn't caster, but there you are.

Weird how that works. I love the castering nosewheel for tighter turns in confined areas. Acquired taste, I guess.

Weird how that works. I love the castering nosewheel for tighter turns in confined areas. Acquired taste, I guess.

That's one place where it shines! (Sucks, though, if you don't get it just right and have to use the tow bar.)

Only time I dislike a castering nosewheel is in heavy crosswind. Gets a little interesting then. Not that big a deal.

My experience is Grumman AA1 and Diamond DA20.

In a strong crosswind a Cirrus will want to weathervane. Keeping your speed up aids rudder effectiveness and helps minimize brake use. There is a point however where rudder is inadequate. At that point staying right on the yellow line means riding the brakes. It may look sloppy but letting the nose point into the wind a little and then tapping the brakes and over compensating a little minimizes brake use although you may look a little drunk as you go down the taxiway.

They have to taxi that fast in order to keep from bursting into flames.

My 1987 Mooney doesn't have a beacon- only strobes. Best I can tell that's how it came from the factory, but I'll admit I haven't gone through the logs in detail looking for a beacon removal- it just doesn't matter.

For reference...............

On my experimental (Zenith 801), it has a all flying rudder so installing a beacon on/ in it would be kinda problematic from the wiring point of view.. The DAR that inspected my 801 (suggested) I have the strobes on any time the plane was moving to help warn others, kinda like having the rotating beacon on in a Cessna.. If it is night I will use only the Nav lights if other planes are around. If I am the only one on the ramp, my strobes will be flashing... It is my personal safety policy...:yes:

Now this is making me want to remove the big, ugly, draggy beacons from the 310.

I think the Tiger rudder is larger than the Cirrus. I don't need too much speed to notice some effectiveness ... defintely not 30 knots.

In a strong crosswind a Cirrus will want to weathervane. Keeping your speed up aids rudder effectiveness and helps minimize brake use. There is a point however where rudder is inadequate. At that point staying right on the yellow line means riding the brakes. It may look sloppy but letting the nose point into the wind a little and then tapping the brakes and over compensating a little minimizes brake use although you may look a little drunk as you go down the taxiway.

Oops! This contradicts what the other two chaps were saying.

Oops! This contradicts what the other two chaps were saying.

In what way? If the crosswind gets too strong, a slight increase in taxi speed doesn't improved rudder effectiveness enough to counter the weather-vaning with rudder only and so brakes must be used. At that point taxiing in a straight line would mean constantly riding one brake.

In what way? If the crosswind gets too strong, a slight increase in taxi speed doesn't improved rudder effectiveness enough to counter the weather-vaning with rudder only and so brakes must be used. At that point taxiing in a straight line would mean constantly riding one brake.

I live where it blows (both city and crosswinds):lol: Increase in taxi speed in high surface winds won't eliminate the need for braking, but will sure reduce it. Of course we're not talking about taxiing at near rotation speeds either:eek:

Standard Emergency:

A viate
N avigate
C ommunicate

Cirrus/Copa Emergency Priority Items:

P ull
A ctivate ELT
N ausia
I mpact
C all Insurance Co.

That said in jest of course. :)

Back