Cirrus pilot paid $15,000 for a parachute repack?

That one item alone makes the value very suspect. I spent many hours buffing out corrosion pits in one, and another day with the NDI guy taking ultrasound thickness measurements--hundreds of them--all over the sparflanges and web after the buffing. All according to Cessna instructions. Managed to save it. Many won't be salvageable. A new carrythrough was $37K or something like that, plus installation, which is not a small job.

I imagine few cardinals in salvage yards have serviceable ones.

Funniest line I ever heard was from a mechanic over a ragged out 182 that was a drug seizure plane that sat here for two years.

When the auction appraiser finally showed up and was looking at the plane the mechanic walked up so the appraiser asked him "how much you think it's worth?"

Without skipping a beat, the mechanic said "how much gas it got in it?" :lol:

I imagine few cardinals in salvage yards have serviceable ones.

And I bet any serviceable ones are long gone. At $37K I would be surprised to find anything decent in the junkyards.

The problem was caused by two factors:
1. CAT vent hoses that came through the fuselage walls at the wing roots and curved around to connect to the overhead console vents. That CAT hose was against the spar carrythrough and vibration chafed throught the fabric and put the steel wire against the aluminum spar. Condensation (leaky cabin roof, people breathing, etc.) started nasty dissimilar metal corrosion.

2. That same condensation would run down and sit on the unprimed spar flanges, along with dust and dirt and other contaminants. Salt air, too, maybe. Condensation from breathing could have lots of nasties in it. More corrosion.

The real danger was that the corrosion could form almost invisible pockets within the metal, hence the ultrasound thickness measurements. IIRC the NDI guy also ran eddy current checks on it as well. I spent at least 40 hours on that thing, very carefully buffing out pits.

The 210 has the same issue.

Ya know....I used to hate Cirrus airplanes. I've realized that people like them (for whatever reasons) and I don't believe it to be right to call them lesser pilots because they have a parachute.

I wish I had a parachute.

Well, Air conditioning is another feature I wish were in other singles. Too many hot days here in FL.

36k to reconstruct logbooks on a plane with 150hrs and very few ADs. Yeah right.

3/4 of which are freely invented.

It seems like someone wants to push down the price and get this plane on the cheap.

The disgruntled ex could probably be persuaded to part with the logbooks and pink slip for $25,000, maybe less.

ETA: Maybe the buyer with the punch list is a straw man for the ex trying to get his plane back?

The disgruntled ex could probably be persuaded to part with the logbooks and pink slip for $25,000, maybe less.

This is a brand new plane with few ADs which can be confirmed by inspection. The mechanic could just bill for the 3hrs it takes to fill out a set of new logbooks, check that applicable ADs have been complied with and call it a day.

ETA: Maybe the buyer with the punch list is a straw man for the ex trying to get his plane back?

The second one might be true.....:rolleyes:

Back