Cirrus Party 7/24

hmmmmmm. Did not know such a thing existed.

You had to respond to an email invite or web page form a couple of months ago. They're taking standby reservations now.

My invite probably got lost in the mail. I'll just wait here by the phone. I am sure they will be calling any minute.

any minute now.

Actually, a Cirrus would be handy as heck at Oshkosh. Fly over GAC, pull the handle, and you can drop right into your camping spot with your tent already deployed. Brilliant!

Then you can have a grand ol' time chatting with your fellows and the Cirrus Drivers Wine Mixer and Chute Repacking Party.

I was really trying to make it up this year but just too much going on. I'll try to make Migration though.

Every year at Oshkosh I go to a private Cirrus party and I don't even own one. Fun group of people. Going this year again. It's not this one though. The one I go to is on Tuesday.

It's just jealousy. Gotta knock something you can't afford!
I agree that it is. Cirrus is proven over and over again it's safety record. I didn't buy it because of the Chute. I bought it because it's fast, looks great, and it has A/C :) I still catch alot of sh** - you're not a real pilot, you don't need that chute... blah blah.. My money - not your. But still the constant anger towards it gets old.

I agree that it is. Cirrus is proven over and over again it's safety record. I didn't buy it because of the Chute. I bought it because it's fast, looks great, and it has A/C :) I still catch alot of sh** - you're not a real pilot, you don't need that chute... blah blah.. My money - not your. But still the constant anger towards it gets old.

Just so you know. My sh*t talk about Cirrus is 100% jokes. I think they're really, really nice airplanes. I fly a 54 year old, ugly duckling, spam can, and it's kind of a piece. I love it too.

I don't know why anyone would say that Cirrus pilots aren't "real" pilots. As often as they fall out of the sky, seems like you'd have to be one heck of a pilot to keep it in the air ;)

It's just jealousy. Gotta knock something you can't afford!

This just in: A shocking report reveals that not all pilots think Cirruses are the bees knees, even it they can afford them. :)

Just don't fall in with the snobby Beech folks.

This just in: A shocking report reveals that not all pilots think Cirruses are the bees knees, even it they can afford them. :)

Just don't fall in with the snobby Beech folks.

Well can't lie - I love my Cirrus but I am saving for my JetProp or Meridian :)

I know it's all fun and games. I just had a little argument with a nice pilot down in Tampa the other day - just rubbed me the wrong way.

Well can't lie - I love my Cirrus but I am saving for my JetProp or Meridian :)

I know it's all fun and games. I just had a little argument with a nice pilot down in Tampa the other day - just rubbed me the wrong way.

I hear ya. Many of us do it in good fun, but there are always "those" people. It goes both ways though.

I just hope the Cirrus type planes survive as long as the old Cessnas, Pipers, Mooneys, etc., have so I can get one when they come into my price range, about 30 years from now. Dear Lord, don't let 'em delaminate before then :)

Sure. Not all, just most. And especially their spouses like the chute. It is a well known fact that most pilots who can't afford a Cirrus make sure to NOT tell their spouses that there exists a plane out there where they won't die an awful death if they (as the pilot) keel over dead...

I don't have a Cirrus. Can't afford one. I still respect what it is.

It is a well known fact that most pilots who can't afford a Cirrus make sure to NOT tell their spouses that there exists a plane out there where they won't die an awful death if they (as the pilot) keel over dead...

Any spouse (going either direction) that doesn't take a pinch-hitter course if they fly any appreciable time with their significant other is either a damfoool or in total denial.

Jim

It's not the plane I knock - could buy if I wanted - it's the chute first ask question later mentality they were putting in the pilots' heads upon purchase, and the seemingly continued mentality of a lot of the them.

Any spouse (going either direction) that doesn't take a pinch-hitter course if they fly any appreciable time with their significant other is either a damfoool or in total denial.

Jim

I need to get my wife in a course, especially since we're usually hauling the young'uns.

Jim

My wife has done one... but I've got to be honest: If I croak during the flight she is going to die. It is not her thing. It would be better for me to get her a personal parachute and practice how to get out of the plane. I'll just need to make sure as I feel myself slipping away to engage autopilot so she can take her time getting out. :D

My wife has done one... but I've got to be honest: If I croak during the flight she is going to die.

Just like learning everything, just because she and the instructor didn't click doesn't mean it isn't "her thing". Like Will ROgers said, "some folks get learnin' by listenin', some by readin', some by watchin', and some just gotta pee on the electric fence for themselves." I've never let a pinch-hitter go until I feel safe letting them land the plane with me sitting on my hands (and feet.) It isn't rocket science to pretty quick figure out what a student's learning mechanism is and then bend the curriculum to meet that style of learning.

Jim

It's not the plane I knock - could buy if I wanted - it's the chute first ask question later mentality they were putting in the pilots' heads upon purchase, and the seemingly continued mentality of a lot of the them.

Gee I guess with your logic if a pilot is in a mid air they should ask the question first before pulling the chute. Maybe one should fly with a CSIP to really learn what is put in the pilots heads, regarding the CAPS pre flight briefing. chute happens. Live with it.

Last edited:
My wife has done one... but I've got to be honest: If I croak during the flight she is going to die. It is not her thing. It would be better for me to get her a personal parachute and practice how to get out of the plane. I'll just need to make sure as I feel myself slipping away to engage autopilot so she can take her time getting out. :D

Did she do the COPA partner in command course? Having attended a couple of CPPP weekends, the review by non pilot partners have been very favorable.

My invite probably got lost in the mail. I'll just wait here by the phone. I am sure they will be calling any minute.

any minute now.

You'd think they'd want their best training video producer there! Sheesh!

Sigh... the Cirrus hating around here is getting so old. I know it's all jokes, but damn...

If you know it's a joke... Rational vs emotional... Context... C' mon. You can do it.

Shed the victimhood and laugh when it's a joke, and know everyone here wants each and every Cirrus pilot to come home safe, under the chute or flying the silly thing until it stops. It's all in good fun.

If I had one, this would be my bumper sticker

There's actually real chute happens bumper stickers running around that appear to have been distributed by Cirrus at one point in time.

Probably not PC enough and someone killed them. Wholesome family values and marketing safety and all that...

Honestly I too once thought like that. After becoming an Cirrus Standardizied Instructor Pilot I have to say I am truly impressed with their current training and continued training programs. And that's coming from someone with both a military and Part 121 background. It's easy to disparage what you don't understand.

You are more risk tolerant than me.

Back