Cirrus killer?

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
What other plane can match up to or beat a used, sub $250k cirrus in all these areas?

1. Cruise speed
2. Ease of entry (2 doors)
3. Price
4. Useful load
5. Relatively modern avionics
6. Comfort (space and design)
7. 4 seats

A chute is extra credit. ;)

Cost of ownership is not on the list. I want to take that off the table.

Last edited:
Pipistrel Panthera is very intriguing, but it's new and I doubt you'll find one in the $250k-ish range.

I am blown away by how cheap these things are! Some day..

Granted not really a Cirrus killer but the ultimate piston airplane for general aviation in my book

If you skip OpEx, the A* kills pretty much any other piston plane. Really only the C421 beats it for passenger comfort. Otherwise, it farther, faster and a lot more fun than pretty much anything else.

Tim

What’s your alternative plane? They ALL cost ludicrous amounts these days. :)

Went to the Cirrus dinner at Oshkosh last year. Sat next to a very nice guy with a ten year old Cirrus. I asked him about cost of ownership, and he said he was probably not the right guy to ask, and then listed his $$$$$$ of annual costs. I pretended not to choke on my dinner as he relayed his tale of ownership.

Saratoga w/ updated avionics. Maybe not quite SR22 speeds but they'll give SR20s a run for their money.

With exception of #6 maybe I’d go along with that. Can you put a chute in an rv10 without losing a lot of useful?

You can do whatever you want to make the interior of the RV meet your needs. You want more cushion? Less? Easy enough. You want thick carpet, thin carpet, no carpet? Done. Overhead console? Center armrest with lots of knobs and buttons? No 337 or STC required.

I don't know about what the chute does to useful load. There is one available, but the installation is really ugly.

I am blown away by how cheap these things are! Some day..

Granted not really a Cirrus killer but the ultimate piston airplane for general aviation in my book

Doesn't it have one too many engines for your preference?

If you skip OpEx, the A* kills pretty much any other piston plane. Really only the C421 beats it for passenger comfort. Otherwise, it farther, faster and a lot more fun than pretty much anything else.

I always hoped for a few years near or in early retirement I would pop for one of those, have some grizzled old instructor hand me my ass i it until I got non-complacent flying it, and then use it for a few years, go broke, and sell it with my tail tucked between my legs and my wallet so far past whimpering that it just rocked back and forth on the countertop in the fetal position. Hahaha.

Probably not happening with the recent turn of events, but I love the A*.

Probably has to do with Denver being so damn far from interesting places I want to visit by light aircraft, too. Damn flyover states. Hahaha. But it would turn two day trips into single day trips to quite far away for only two of us and bags.

Realistically a later 210 would also have been fine. :)

I always hoped for a few years near or in early retirement I would pop for one of those, have some grizzled old instructor hand me my ass i it until I got non-complacent flying it, and then use it for a few years, go broke, and sell it with my tail tucked between my legs and my wallet so far past whimpering that it just rocked back and forth on the countertop in the fetal position. Hahaha.

:cool:

I wonder from time-to-time if I could own one for a couple of years, spend an egregious amount flying, and then sell it for only a small loss to the next sucker owner and have fond memories of zipping places in the 20's and not wearing a mask.

Write your specifications for a Cirrus and a Cirrus is all that pops up. Quarter million will buy a crapload of airplane. You can have your parachute.
Nonsense.

I really like the Velocity, and would have ordered a V-Twin and the TXL except for liability insurance. I had the engines, the kit, everything scoped, budgeted and financing arranged. Then I called the insurance broker, and that killed it.
Maybe when I am older and the kids are completely gone, I will not care about the estate, but until they are on their own I "need" some liability protection.

Oh well.

Tim

Oh go on, tell us how you really feel!
I feel that facts are more important than emotion and brand loyalty.

The facts are that, if you have $250k to spend and operation costs aren't a big factor for you, there are very few planes that can match up to the cirrus, chute or no chute.

Right now the mooney is the best fit for me. In a few years, if I make some more money, that may no longer be true. Emotionally, I'm not a cirrus fan, but the facts show it's a formidable contender.

Back