Cirrus checkout?

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
How long or how many hours does it take to be checked out on a cirrus sr20? After you get your PPL?

I started my Cirrus SR20 checkout last week, we flew for 1.1 and I'm going back today to fly another 2 or so (mostly approaches) and that should finish the checkout for me. I've got around 300 hours, the most recently 200 hours are in a 182RG and I'm a CFI. So I'd guess my answer is "it depends" on how recent you are, how well you know the G430 and if you already have time in a higher performance airplane. The Cirrus is incredibly easy to fly though, the button pushing is significantly more difficult than hand flying the airplane.

I think it might well be 3x a normal check out or more. U of ND had a special pilot training course for new Cirrus owners I thought it was 27 hours but that is not a check out but complete pilot proficiency in Cirrus type of thing along the lines of going to Flight Safety.

Now that they have been out a dozen years maybe some schools or FBOs may be lightning up on the check outs on them.

Well I am working on my ppl on a 2012 c172 with g1000. I want to own a cirrus once I get my ppl and how should I go about doing that? I want to learn on the aircraft before buying it.

Last edited:
Well I am working on my ppl on a 2012 c172 with g1000. I want to own a cirrus once I get my ppl and how should I go about doing that? I want to learn on the aircraft before buying it.

What area are you in? I would recommend finishing your PPL in the 172 and then get checked out in the Cirrus. I would guess it will take you around 10 hours, maybe more because I believe most of the SR20's have Avidyne and not the G1000, to get it down. Your insurance company will love the fact you already have time in type when you decide to purchase. The first new airplane (high performance, even if the Cirrus is only 200hp) is typically the hardest transition.

What area are you in? I would recommend finishing your PPL in the 172 and then get checked out in the Cirrus. I would guess it will take you around 10 hours, maybe more because I believe most of the SR20's have Avidyne and not the G1000, to get it down. Your insurance company will love the fact you already have time in type when you decide to purchase. The first new airplane (high performance, even if the Cirrus is only 200hp) is typically the hardest transition.

Yeah I will be finishing up on the c172 but definitely want to transition into the cirrus after!

How long or how many hours does it take to be checked out on a cirrus sr20? After you get your PPL?
It depends. On you, the flight school and the instructor. First transitions in to a new-to-me airplane tend to take a little longer than later ones and, if the SR20 has all new-to-me avionics also, getting used to the avionics will take longer than getting used to the airplane. Your G1000 experience can make that quicker (assuming an Avidyne panel in the SR20), but that depends on you more than anything. Kind of like switching from Windows to Mac or Linux - some people see very few differences; others see a lot of differences.

IOW, transitioning to a SR20 is really no different than transitioning to anything other fixed gear airplane, except for one thing: if you train with a CSIP, you are likely to be put through a full curriculum, which may add some time.

Last edited:
After I got my PPL? About 40 years and 9000 hours.

OTOH, to complete the Cirrus Standardized Instructional course for the SR20 will take a few days and about half a dozen flights (details are in my CSI manual at home).

Update. I just got home from my Cirrus flight. Total SR20 time is 2.1 hours and I'm cleared to rent it IFR and VFR. It's an incredibly easy airplane to fly. Today we did just autopilot stuff and aside from holding an altitude perfectly, I think I handfly better.

To the OP - If you're going to fly the Cirrus on a regular basis, I'd highly recommend checking out COPA (in addition to the CSIP training cap'n Ron already mentioned).

http://cirruspilots.org/

Disclaimer: (Unafilliated former COPA member) :)

Wow...the statement..."The Cirrus is incredibly easy to fly" above is utterly wrong. A more accurate statement is, "The Cirrus may seem easy to fly because it flies more like a jet, meaning zero feedback and very little warning of poor control. Many Cirrus pilots have lost their lives by not learning to respect this aircraft, thinking it's "easy". Comfortable, fast, and efficient? Yes. Easy to fly? NO!

Just ask some of the Cirrus pilots with hundreds of Cirrus hours who have had major and minor accidents. Anyone who thinks a Cirrus is easy to fly is headed for trouble.

Wow...the statement..."The Cirrus is incredibly easy to fly" above is utterly wrong. A more accurate statement is, "The Cirrus may seem easy to fly because it flies more like a jet, meaning zero feedback and very little warning of poor control. Many Cirrus pilots have lost their lives by not learning to respect this aircraft, thinking it's "easy". Comfortable, fast, and efficient? Yes. Easy to fly? NO!

Just ask some of the Cirrus pilots with hundreds of Cirrus hours who have had major and minor accidents. Anyone who thinks a Cirrus is easy to fly is headed for trouble.

Cirrus accidents are a lapse in judgement, overthinking ones capabilities perhaps... not because the airplane is difficult to fly. For me, the airplane is easy to fly. Probably because I've spent the last 225+ hours in a R182 with an autopilot that can hardly hold a heading, much less shoot an approach. I absolutely prefer my R182 over the Cirrus, better useful load, same speed (as the SR20), comparable fuel burn, more room for pax and way more fuel capacity. That airpane doesn't compute everything and the kitchen sink for you. I truly think the issue with Cirrus are the complacency that results in all the gizmos and the "well I have a parachute" mentality. It's the new Bonanza or 210. But that doesn't make it difficult to fly.

Actually the Cirrus is very easy to fly. I also think it has plenty of feedback and responds to control inputs readily.

IMO the problems with the accident rate are: (1) it may be too easy to fly leaving pilots with lack of respect for its capabilities and (2) although it seems to be changing, issues with the standardized training itself.

To the OP - If you're going to fly the Cirrus on a regular basis, I'd highly recommend checking out COPA (in addition to the CSIP training cap'n Ron already mentioned).

http://cirruspilots.org/

Disclaimer: (Unafilliated former COPA member) :)
Absolutely agree.

Some years ago I began to join type clubs at least for a year when checking out in a new-to-me make/model that I planned to fly fairly regularly. I've been in succession, a member of the Comanche, Bonanza, Cirrus, and Mooney type clubs. For the most part, each of them had very valuable information to offer.

I think the Cirrus one is especially good. Lots of excellent material on the web site and the member forum is active and at times controversial in terms of Cirrus training and accidents. In fact, even though I no longer have access to a Cirrus, I was very tempted to retain my membership (I didn't) in large part due to the member forum interaction.

We'll agree to disagree, Mark. I've flown 172's, 150's, PA 28's (140's and 180's) and Cirrus 20 / 22.

The Cirrus has less control yoke feel than any of them, and a history of high-time pilots making mistakes that would rarely if ever happen in other aircraft. That said, I'm buying a Cirrus and am a huge fan. I just know based on tons of research and my own personal experience that a Cirrus is less forgiving and requires greater skill and experience than the others.

Again this is my opinion, obviously. As with all opinions, take it with a grain of salt!

I had someone toss me the keys to an SR20 once. He told me 75 on final and that'll do 'er

Also had someone do the same to me in a 182......

I should be dead!

Hmmm as a Cirrus instructor I can tell you that everyone's mileage varies... preparation helps, and IFR proficiency (coming in) is key if you're going for an IFR checkout. And I can tell you that learning the SR22 and all the logic behind the systems does help a bit in CRJ200 ground school... ;-)

Locally, they have SR22's (not 20's) for rent, and the MINIMUM required checkout time is 16 hours (at something like $290/hr for plane plus instructor).

Nearly-$5,000 checkout? No thanks.

I got my PPL in a 172 with 78 hrs and immediately went to a SR22 with Avidyne. My Cirrus checkout was about 5 hrs, but I was already somewhat familiar with the avionics from flying right seat with friends. I also agree that the COPA site is awesome. It's a great airplane, I know there are a lot of haters out there but I really enyoy it for the type of flying that I do. Good luck out there!

I had someone toss me the keys to an SR20 once. He told me 75 on final and that'll do 'er

Also had someone do the same to me in a 182......

I should be dead!

That's the way checkouts were conducted back in the day when the focus of training was on basic airmanship, rather than type specific.

Back