Cirrus 10K to repack

One reason I would not own a stupid Cirrus. I used to think they were cool but I actually hate those airplanes now! I would take a new 182 over a new Cirrus any day....

Are there new 182's?

So you are flying a plane costing how much, hangaring it, insuring it, putting +15 gallons each hour, and setting back $125 a month for a repack is expensive?

Beginning with the G2 they don’t need to cut the body to replace the chute. It is accessed from the rear of the baggage compartment. Current cost is approx $15k (mine was done late least year before I purchased it). Besides the wide open cabin and comfortable seats, the chute is what really sealed the deal for my nervous wife as we fly over the desert extensively. Happy wife...

If you fly 10 hours a month, 15k is $12.50 added to the hourly flying expenses over a 10 yr period.

Not saying it’s right, but I’ve seen people switch rental places to save that amount on venerable old Skyhawks that have seen better days. I was tempted by that myself back when I was very broke and trying to fly. Luckily some wiser folks pointed out some obvious maintenance items not being handled on the cheaper rentals.

I usually want to know what the second place has going for them that allows it. Sometimes you ask and dig and find out there’s a legitimate way they operate cheaper. Sweetheart deals. Mechanic/Owner. Stuff like that.

Sometimes the answers aren’t forthcoming and you wonder what’s being overlooked or not done. The Master Caution light for this has to be calibrated over time, and via good advice, unfortunately.

What's insurance on a 182 fixed vs RG?
Not as much as I thought. I ended up getting insurance on an RG for about the same as the quotes I was getting for a fixed gear. Paying about $1300/year. The bigger difference was the open pilot warranty. Very strict on the RG. I think it’s 100 MM, instrument rating, and 750 TT.

So you are flying a plane costing how much, hangaring it, insuring it, putting +15 gallons each hour, and setting back $125 a month for a repack is expensive?
What's expensive depends on the situation. $125/month is about what I pay for hangar rent in my little town. $125 also = about 30 gal. of 100LL, which is = 4 hours at 155 kts in my airplane (and maybe 40-50% of the fuel I use in a month), so a $125 bill, every month, whether the plane is used or not, can be significant.

On the other hand, I owned a C310 for a few years and probably spent more than $125/month maintaining the cabin heater in that airplane.

I agree with Bryan-- why wouldn't the first thing they think of be a hatch. Strange.

Why do they need to repack the chute? I understand replacing the rocket. But what happens to the chute if it's not used that requires repacking? Why can't you design it such that you just swap out the rocket motor? Obviously, I don't know the first thing about 'chutes. So go easy on me.

Last edited:
On the other hand, I owned a C310 for a few years and probably spent more than $125/month maintaining the cabin heater in that airplane.

I bet you never defended the cost of maintaining that @&$# heater as the cost of twin engine performance.

If someone told me the likelihood that I would be pulling the chute was above very, very near zero I could see my way through the math.

In 21 years of flying I have never found myself wishing "if only this thing had a chute that cost $15k to repack".

I agree with Bryan-- why wouldn't the first thing they think of be a hatch. Strange.

Why do they need to repack the chute? I understand replacing the rocket. But what happens to the chute if it's not used that requires repacking? Why can't you design it such that you just swap out the rocket motor? Obviously, I don't know the first thing about 'chutes. So go easy on me.

It could be some thing as simple as time to get the plane to market. Getting things certified by the good old FA of A takes both time and money.

This is no more than a guess....

-Skip

All parachutes require repacking - most much more frequently than every 10 years (my paragliding reserve parachute has to be repacked every 6-12 months). The reasons are basically to check condition (sort of like an annual inspection). Moisture, heat/cold cycles, creasing from pressure (these things are packed really tight!), even insects can all lead to degradation of the material over time and could result in a failure. 10 years is a long time and a lot can happen over that time period.

All parachutes require repacking - most much more frequently than every 10 years (my paragliding reserve parachute has to be repacked every 6-12 months). The reasons are basically to check condition (sort of like an annual inspection). Moisture, heat/cold cycles, creasing from pressure (these things are packed really tight!), even insects can all lead to degradation of the material over time and could result in a failure. 10 years is a long time and a lot can happen over that time period.

I agree, but we can ***** about it :D
In reality, I wish the design separated the rocket better from the chute, so you could in theory extend the chute further and replace the rocket as required at 10 years due to the half life of the fuel. However, this splitting gains nothing, then oh well....

Tim

I agree, but we can ***** about it :D
In reality, I wish the design separated the rocket better from the chute, so you could in theory extend the chute further and replace the rocket as required at 10 years due to the half life of the fuel. However, this splitting gains nothing, then oh well....

Tim

I look at it the other way. 10 years is a long time for a life safety system to go without servicing. I'm surprised its that long. I would only question the cost. It would interesting to see it itemized out and see what the profit is on the $10k or whatever it costs today.

I look at it the other way. 10 years is a long time for a life safety system to go without servicing. I'm surprised its that long. I would only question the cost. It would interesting to see it itemized out and see what the profit is on the $10k or whatever it costs today.

The one shop owner I knew well enough to ask, said he makes basically nothing on the chute repack. A lot of the work is sent back to Cirrus, the shop owner liked chute repacks because he always said he gets lots of "while you are in there" work which is profitable. Just would not tell me how much....

Tim

Back