Circular Runways

In Australia would they take off in the other direction?

Tried to get the picture on here from this month's 'Professional Pilot' magazine. Over in Europe they're about to begin tests of a circular runway concept. Basically a circular runway around the outside of the airport with parallel circular taxiways inside (circular also), and access to any point of the runway from the ramp, straight out from the ramp. Think of it as a continuous 360 degree runway. Studies show airports would take up less land, allow more takeoffs and landings, and offer shorter taxi times.

Thoughts?
Do you have any idea how landing and departure clearances are worded?

Guess that solves the Vx .vs. Vy argument - just get positive rate of climb - and climb until you get to altitude (or run out of gas).

Do you have any idea how landing and departure clearances are worded?

Not sure what you're asking. Now it's "cleared for takeoff", "cleared to land" of course used for 'normal' runways. I think you're asking how these terms would be used for the circular run..., uh, heck I don't even know what they'd call it. Maybe they just stack 'em up in the sky and clear 'em in for landing, sequencing departures between the landings, like they do for holding. But to answer your question, I dunno. :D

Europeans come up with lots of silly ideas, like hairy armpits on women.

tumblr_mtn9u00xVT1sj3oxho1_250.gif

I quote the old saying about airplanes. If its ugly, it British. If its weird, its French. If its both ugly and weird, its Russian.

Heaven
is where the police are all British,
the cooks are all French,
the mechanics are all German,
the lovers are all Italian,
and everything is organized by the Swiss.

Hell
is where the police are all German,
the cooks are all British,
the mechanics are all French,
the lovers are all Swiss,
and everything is organized by the Italians.

I did a quick google search but couldn't turn up the references. There was an experiment tried in the late 1940's early 1950's by the Air Force. It used a banked runway so the aircraft was not having to use tire friction to turn. It was abandoned after a few trials but I don't remember why. Essentially you're landing in a constant rate turn and the runway is banked to match the bank required for the turn.

Oops! Navy experiment. See: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=2CkDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA77&lpg=PA77&dq=air+force+experiment+banked+runway&source=bl&ots=nvcKS0ee9_&sig=XNfjY2_2KZWDlFqeZ3Gl6a-ZNlg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmlZjKlKPLAhWSco4KHaIbCLgQ6AEIIjAA#v=onepage&q=air force experiment banked runway&f=false

John

Came here to post this. ^^

It would be fun because doing a go-around would be more literal than it is today

I'm not sure it's possible for me to express how awful of an idea this is.

Just think how cool it would look doing it in a Duke.

Actually, it would be the perfect runway for a Duke. That way, it's easier to crash.

image.jpeg If you can deal with a 500 ft take off / roll out, this will work.

Could this design mitigate the impossible turn scenario.

I'm not sure it's possible for me to express how awful of an idea this is.

Yeah, the number of aircraft veering off the runway would skyrocket, among other things!

If only we could harness the stupidity...

Heaven
is where the police are all British,
the cooks are all French,
the mechanics are all German,
the lovers are all Italian,
and everything is organized by the Swiss.

Hell
is where the police are all German,
the cooks are all British,
the mechanics are all French,
the lovers are all Swiss,
and everything is organized by the Italians.
Snow, ice....braking check?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Browsing through the links and documents, it's clear that this was a serious effort. They sure put a lot of work into it.

From the final report:

"The project did not find any show stoppers and demonstrated feasibility of the concept, including the use of the airport for current-day aircraft." :eek:o_O

Somehow, the phrase "can't see the forest for the trees" comes to mind.

Further proof that not even a modicum of knowledge is a prerequisite for having an opinion

I've gotten the impression that the European Union has more than its fair share of clueless bureaucrats.

Back