Cig lighter static fix?

whereisrandall

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Randall Williams
We had really odd radio static issues for a while - some frequencies were totally unreadable, while some were clear.

We came close to re-bonding everything and installing static wicks (C172L) when I saw a pilot in a training video casually mention unplugging the 12v lighter cable before approach to hear the tower better because of static.

I unplugged, and that "fixed" the static problem.

I use a portable battery now, but would love to use the lighter socket again to keep the iDevices happy. Anybody know how I could do it, static-free?

By unplugged you mean you unplugged your portable charging cord correct? Not the cigarette lighter power source itself, correct?

Many portable device power cords have been associated with radio interference. Some are not. You should check around with other i-thingy device users for power supply cables which do not interfere with their radios.

I've found that cheap chargers cause radio static even in my truck. Try a better quality or different brand charger.

I have a nice two port charger that came with my droid turbo that doesn't cause static. I plug my iPad into the other slot. It's only a 1amp slot and won't charge the iPad, but it will hold it steady at whatever the battery charge is when plugged in. Good enough.

Last edited:
Modern battery chargers (for electronic stuff, not lead-acid) don't use transformers anymore. They take the AC and rectify it and chop it into tiny bits and reassemble and regulate those bits into the output they want. The chopping makes noise that can end up interfering with radios. Even my cordless drill battery charger will make the FM radio hiss.

Most cheap chargers are very noisy on RF. I just bought a Dust Buster the other day, and had it on charge. When I was on the radio with my Dad that evening, there was so much noise that I had to unplug the dust buster untill after talking to Dad. I've also found that cheap LED lamps for your house also create a lot of EMI. As to the chargers they are not well filtered, But a large capacity (~1000 mf) electrolytic capacitor across the output after the rectifier,will help considerably.

Back