Chuteless skydiver

Got to bed.

Geez. Nuts.

One wrong estimate on the upper winds and there will be no way to recover the lost ground to hit that small a net.

Nets are for whimps ;)

Crazy man! I was gonna jump in Korea because this Air Force PJ buddy talked me into it. Day finally comes but some guy had broken his leg earlier in the day. Chickened out and told them I was a 'devout coward' that I would watch y'all and start on the beer transfusions early.

Would they go to commercial right before the splat if he misses?

His life insurance premiums must be $$$$$.

@JCranford, I also was wondering about winds. When you are doing jumps from that high, are you taking winds into account? So you're blown toward and not away from the LZ?

@JCranford, I also was wondering about winds. When you are doing jumps from that high, are you taking winds into account? So you're blown toward and not away from the LZ?

Yes, uppers are factored in. In the old days they would throw out paper streamers and watch the wind effect. These days with better control of the chutes, we just swag it and throw out a couple of skydivers!

We often discuss budgets of buying, owning, operating an aircraft. @JCranford, what does a good parachute rig cost? Cost/timeframe to earn your solo jump card?

Myself and another idiot had a similiar scheme in the 70's, but were planning on a much lower altitude for release, and using, I swear to God, a humongous stack of cardboard boxes for the target. Our idea was to treat him like a 250 pound bomb, and use a standard 45 degree dive angle, to minimze lateral drift. Sort of reduce as many variables as possible.

It didn't work out, mainly because we had no money, no experience, and no drop zone stupid enough to let us "test". I think we were gonna need like $12,000 just for the boxes. He was a rookie skydiver, and I had about zero experience delivering bombs. . .

Many years later he married my ex-wife, so I guess she's glad I didn't drop him. Pretty sure he wishes I had. And missed.

Wow. . .didn't know someone had done it. Our box stack was gonna be wider, but "wingsuits" weren't around, to our knowledge, anyway. . .

We often discuss budgets of buying, owning, operating an aircraft. @JCranford, what does a good parachute rig cost? Cost/timeframe to earn your solo jump card?

Well, to earn your A License, which is the one that allows you to jump with other people (not just solo) will cost around $2500 for the training alone. That covers the 25 jumps minimum required. However, just like flying, few people get it done in 25 jumps so factor in a few extra jumps at $90 per. A decent used rig (used rigs, like used planes are perfectly fine if theyre inspected by a rigger) will run $2000 - $2500. That gets you the container, main and reserve chute. An AAD (Automatic Activation Device) will run $1200 new. Thats the safety device that fires your reserve chute if youre unconscious in freefall. Then all the nickle and dime stuff like altimeters, jumpsuits, helmets, audible altimeters will run $200 - $500 apiece depending how cool-daddy you want to get. Brand spanking new rig with all the features and custom colors etc = $5000. It aint a cheap sport!

Well, to earn your A License, which is the one that allows you to jump with other people (not just solo) will cost around $2500 for the training alone. That covers the 25 jumps minimum required. However, just like flying, few people get it done in 25 jumps so factor in a few extra jumps at $90 per. A decent used rig (used rigs, like used planes are perfectly fine if theyre inspected by a rigger) will run $2000 - $2500. That gets you the container, main and reserve chute. An AAD (Automatic Activation Device) will run $1200 new. Thats the safety device that fires your reserve chute if youre unconscious in freefall. Then all the nickle and dime stuff like altimeters, jumpsuits, helmets, audible altimeters will run $200 - $500 apiece depending how cool-daddy you want to get. Brand spanking new rig with all the features and custom colors etc = $5000. It aint a cheap sport!

But totally worth it, super fun, and also the scene is one the best, go to any DZ as a fun jumper and you'll end up with a few great friends in no time.

Traveling that's how I made many of my good friends.

the 25 jumps minimum required
Are those done with an instructor jumping with you and observing/coaching?
Does the $90/jump include paying the rigger for repacking and pilot for hauling you upstairs?

While I'm unsure if I'll ever do a parachute jump, I think it might be hella fun if a group of us locals met you at the indoor skydiving place in Frisco.

The first 7 jumps are done with an instructor. Its is a progressive system so you have to pass each jump's requirements to progress to the next level. Most people repeat at least one of the jumps. The first three jumps are done with two instructors holding on to you. Level 3 is your first 'release' dive where the instructors will let you go if you are stable. Numbers 4 thru 7 are single instructor jumps. Once you pass level 7 you can jump solo or with an instructor or coach. Once you are jumping solo you go to a coach who teaches you 'body flight' skills (fall rate control, turns, forward and backward movement, etc) and are also working on parachute pilot skills and landing accuracy. Once you have 25 jumps and all the requirements you take the written test and earn your A License.

The $90 does include the lift and repack.

I'm fairly certain jumping out of an airplane without a parachute is generally a bad idea. I did have the pleasure of exiting a Blackhawk without the benefit of a rappel rope once, hovering at 20 feet. Guy behind me lost his footing as I was hooking up and we both went out the door. Fortunately it was in a swamp.

I'm fairly certain jumping out of an airplane without a parachute is generally a bad idea. I did have the pleasure of exiting a Blackhawk without the benefit of a rappel rope once, hovering at 20 feet. Guy behind me lost his footing as I was hooking up and we both went out the door. Fortunately it was in a swamp.
Yikes! sounds like a version of that scene in blackhawk down where the ranger misses the rope :eek:

I just set my DVR to record it, I'm not going to sit through 45 minutes of hype for a 1:30 jump.

b-gorilla.jpg

Yikes! sounds like a version of that scene in blackhawk down where the ranger misses the rope :eek:
It sounds like someone was always ahead of the Sac in line after that little evolution.

Yes, uppers are factored in. In the old days they would throw out paper streamers and watch the wind effect. These days with better control of the chutes, we just swag it and throw out a couple of skydivers!

Smokejumpers still use a streamer. Toured their West Yellowstone base last week.

This is purely personal:
I don't like parachutes.
This is a hold over from my days flying for Uncle Sugar in a place where the little Asian brothers spent all their time, energy and money trying to shoot holes in my plane, my parachute and by association, me.
I didn't like parachutes because they were folded by some luckless airman last class who had just come off of 48 hours of KP as a result of a snot-nosed Lieutenant last class who didn't like the crispness of the airman's salute.
The airmen last class all lived, breathed and intended to get even. With everyone. Including me, who never ever caused anyone to have to pull KP.
As a result of my distrust, I never engaged in the game of parachute roulette.
On those occasions when the little Asian brothers successfully shot a sufficient number of holes in my jet du jour, causing the actual need for the use of a parachute, I elected, heroically I might add, to ride the smoking hot metal all the way to the ground, or water, depending on the circumstance.
This was obviously the correct decision, as I am still here, 43 years later, and able to tell the tale of why I don't like parachutes.
I still don't like parachutes.
Maybe the guy jumping without the chute has a similar disposition towards parachutes.
That's all.
Keep on having fun.

Tell us please kind sir of these rides to the ground in lieu of returning said aircraft the the taxpayers and fending for yourself under nylon canopy...

It was a lot simpler when I was young. I met my wife in 56 when a buddy picked me up after a jump. (no drop zones back then)View attachment 46731
I don't know how you jumped that old school equipm,ent.
I just set my DVR to record it, I'm not going to sit through 45 minutes of hype for a 1:30 jump.
I fast forwarded through the first 15 mins so catching that the Screen Actor's Guild says the guy has to wear an emergency parachute, the turboprop plane has been running in the background for around 18 mins of the show so far and there is a game app in the app stores. I will check back in about 30 mins or to fast fwd the rest of it.

Well, what happened? Herring in the net or 'pancake'?
Or maybe skycrane spearfish?

Back