Chuck E’s In Love....

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
With the price of ribeye going through the stratosphere, SWMBO decided to give some chuck-eye steaks a try. I did a reverse sear on the charcoal grill, cooking to a medium rare. Wonderful!! Flavor very similar to a ribeye, just a bit tougher with a little more gristle. Baked potato with butter and cheddar, washed down with a Guinness. AHHHH!

For half the price of ribeye, chuck-eye was a great choice. We’ll be doing this again.

I bet if you tossed that sucker in a sous vide before work and sear on the grill for dinner it would fall apart. Now I’m hungry.

I've been looking but they never seem to offer them in the stores I go to....
I've been eating carnovore for a while so eating a lot of steaks.

I get most of my steaks at costco... a lot cheaper, especially when I buy the whole one and cut it up myself....but even the precut packs are a lot less per pound than the regular grocery. I've never seen chuck eyes at Costco though.

Wait, this thread is not about pizza and games?

Chuckecheese_logo_2004.png

I've been looking but they never seem to offer them in the stores I go to....

There are only two per cow, so you have to get a little lucky to find them. You might try a butcher shop, maybe ask them to hold a couple for you.

I did a reverse sear on the charcoal grill, cooking to a medium rare. Wonderful!! Flavor very similar to a ribeye, just a bit tougher with a little more gristle.
Having experimented a bit with chuck steaks, I find that the ones I've been grilling like to be cooked to medium instead of medium rare. Also, I've had better luck buying roasts and cutting my own steaks as it allows me to better control the gristle and silver. But then again, I'm comparing against supermarket meat cutters rather than top-shelf butchers.

Some of my best successes has been been cutting a top blade roast into flat iron steaks.

I wish I had a butcher shop or two handy. I'd love to explore those options and get to know how that works. There are of course some around but none convenient to my regular weekly travels.... I recon butcher prices would be premium over and above publix, anyway...and I'm too cheap...leaving costco, publix, and winn-dixie for me....

I wish I had a butcher shop or two handy. I'd love to explore those options and get to know how that works. There are of course some around but none convenient to my regular weekly travels.... I recon butcher prices would be premium over and above publix, anyway...and I'm too cheap...leaving costco, publix, and winn-dixie for me....

Next time you're in Publix or Winn-Dixie, ask to speak with the manager of the meat dept. Introduce yourself and tell him what you're looking for and I'd bet he'll help you out.

Wait, this thread is not about pizza and games?
Little known fact: Mr. Cheese (Chuck E. is his rap name) has a brother named Richard who does lounge acts.

Second the souse vide suggestion. You can make it med rare for 8+ hours or whatever, 132 F maybe? Then put it in the fridge and finish it on the grill whenever you want. If you don't recognize the "w word", and like cow, SV is a nice thing to play around with.

IMG_5656.jpegIMG_5657.jpeg
Oh yeah. Super tender, great flavor, as @Half Fast said, it competes with ribeye. You have a lot of fat to deal with, but if you can work through that you are in for a real treat!

as @Half Fast said, it competes with ribeye.
Apparently the reason for that is because they are the same muscle, longissimus dorsi. When deconstructing beef carcass, I guess this muscle didn't happen to fall neatly within either the chuck primal or the rib primal.

Apparently the reason for that is because they are the same muscle, longissimus dorsi. When deconstructing beef carcass, I guess this muscle didn't happen to fall neatly within either the chuck primal or the rib primal.
:yeahthat:

Ribeyes come from the 6th through the 12th rib. The chuck eye comes from the 5th rib, so that's why you only get two per cow. I suspect calling it a chuck eye rather than a ribeye might have been a marketing decision, because if you sold it as a ribeye at ribeye prices people would complain about the fat content.

Whatever. It's an excellent steak and we'll buy them when we find them.

BTW, @Sac Arrow , next time try doing a reverse sear on the steaks. Bet you’ll like it!
Well guess what, Wednesday is when the new weekly specials come out at the grocery store. Chuck eye steak is now $21/lb! Holy carp! I'm glad I got mine when I did.

Quite a range. Sure you're not shopping for beef from hand-raised cows who were fed imported French organic grass?

1699552519437.png

I bet if you tossed that sucker in a sous vide before work and sear on the grill for dinner it would fall apart. Now I’m hungry.
Agree. I have switched to sous vide for all my steaks. I often get the cheaper cuts now and just it cook for hours at a low temp. Comes out perfect every time.

Tim

:cheers:
So did we, a few days ago. Wonderful. Aged them in the fridge for about 10 days. Almost as tender as a filet, great ribeye flavor, just the right size.

Having experimented a bit with chuck steaks, I find that the ones I've been grilling like to be cooked to medium instead of medium rare.

Yep, totally agree. Grilled to medium this time and they were great, very tender.

Is there a Fresh Market store near you? Their steaks are a step above what you can get in most supermakets.

I started getting my beef from an actual butcher store just before covid, and I won't go back. Much more consistent, price isn't significantly different and sometimes less, way easier to get nice things. The one I go to also has a small selection of fresh produce, so sometimes it's one stop shopping. It's just a more pleasant experience all the way around. The regular stuff we've been using one of the shop/deliver services. Staying out of big box stores as much as possible makes my life better.

I think I want to try the cold start method of cooking steak.
Anyone here done it?

Is there a Fresh Market store near you? Their steaks are a step above what you can get in most supermakets.
Meh. Whole Foods is better than Fresh Market and usually has locally sourced beef. A lot of the stuff I’ve seen at Fresh Market is Australian beef.

Back