CHT requirement

Here is some more pertinent information... This is a quote from the TCDS 3A13 Rev.72 (bold used for emphasis)

"Equipment: The basic required equipment as prescribed in the applicable airworthiness requirements (see Certification Basis) must be installed in the aircraft for certification. This equipment must include a current Airplane Flight Manual effective S/N 18266591 through 18268586 and R18200584 through R18202041. In addition, the following item of equipment is required:

"1. Stall warning indicator, Cessna Dwg. S1672-5.

"The equipment portion of Aircraft Specification 3A13, Revision 15, or Cessna Publication TS3000-13 should be used for equipment references on all aircraft prior to the Model 182G. Refer to the applicable Equipment List for the Model 182G and subsequent models."

As I read it, if you have 3A13 Rev.15, you don't need TS3000-13. Does that sound right?

This originally came from a requirement to remove a gauge but as I thought about it last night, I realized my Alzheimers had set in and I actually want to remove the EGT gauge, not the CHT. I also have a JPI 700 installed which takes care of both EGT and CHT but it is not approved as a primary replacement instrument so I need to know if the primaries are required.

For your reading enjoyment.

CAR 3.675 Cylinder head temperature indicating system for air-cooled engines. A cylinder head temperature indicator shall be provided for each engine on airplanes equipped with cowl flaps. In the case of airplanes which do not have cowl flaps, an indicator shall be provided if compliance with the provisions of CAR 3.581 is demonstrated at a speed in excess of the speed of best rate of climb.

I have cowl flaps. I need a CHT. I don't need EGT.

I imagine that older model 182s without cowl flaps are still required to have an EGT due to the cooling demenstration requirements in 3.581 (which was amended to read:

3.581 General. The powerplant cooling provisions shall be capable of maintaining the temperatures of all powerplant components and fluid within the established limits during ground and flight operation.

Hopefully this helps someone someday.

Here is some more pertinent information... This is a quote from the TCDS 3A13 Rev.72 (bold used for emphasis)

"Equipment: The basic required equipment as prescribed in the applicable airworthiness requirements (see Certification Basis) must be installed in the aircraft for certification. This equipment must include a current Airplane Flight Manual effective S/N 18266591 through 18268586 and R18200584 through R18202041. In addition, the following item of equipment is required:

"1. Stall warning indicator, Cessna Dwg. S1672-5.

"The equipment portion of Aircraft Specification 3A13, Revision 15, or Cessna Publication TS3000-13 should be used for equipment references on all aircraft prior to the Model 182G. Refer to the applicable Equipment List for the Model 182G and subsequent models."

As I read it, if you have 3A13 Rev.15, you don't need TS3000-13. Does that sound right?

This originally came from a requirement to remove a gauge but as I thought about it last night, I realized my Alzheimers had set in and I actually want to remove the EGT gauge, not the CHT. I also have a JPI 700 installed which takes care of both EGT and CHT but it is not approved as a primary replacement instrument so I need to know if the primaries are required.

This is the key to it all, most don't get it, but you did, kudos!

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-29_9-12-22.png
    upload_2016-9-29_9-12-22.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 31
This is the key to it all, most don't get it, but you did, kudos!

That image you attached with the underline is the exact document I found as well. Funny how the official CAR that has now been scanned into the FAA system has an underline from some dude that is probably now dead.

Back