Chrome?

ReverendSlappy

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
ReverendSlappy
Anybody running Google Chrome yet? I just installed it and it looks to be everything they're promising.

Few beta-typical bugs here and there so far, but it looks like it's got promise... Now all they need to add is an inline spell checker so I don't look in my posts like the bordering-on-illiterate moron I really am. :D

Anybody running Google Chrome yet? I just installed it and it looks to be everything they're promising.

Few beta-typical bugs here and there so far, but it looks like it's got promise... Now all they need to add is an inline spell checker so I don't look in my posts like the bordering-on-illiterate moron I really am. :D

Don't worry, what you say does that just fine regardless of the spelling...:p:D

Seriously though, WTF is Google Chrome? Since I have never heard of it, I don't know what it promises. Perhaps I should just Google it, huh?

Don't worry, what you say does that just fine regardless of the spelling...:p:D

BURN! ;) :D

Seriously though, WTF is Google Chrome? Since I have never heard of it, I don't know what it promises. Perhaps I should just Google it, huh?

It's Google's new web browser. Basically, they've decided to (more or less) forget everything about browser architecture, and rebuild one from (almost) the ground up; faster, more secure, more feature-rich than before. You can read more here: http://www.google.com/chrome

This comic book explains it all fairly well, too: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

Oh, and there is an inline spell-checker. So perhaps you were right. :D

just finished the install and diddlin' now. Coincidentally, I updated IE to 8 yesterday, and XP to SP3 (also yesterday), so no I have no idea what features belongs to WHO!

Is there a combination webbrowser/email program available?

Seems like I am going to have to give up my old reliable, efficient friend Netscape :(

For those of you in the know...any relationship between MS trying to buy Google and Google launching a web browser? My initial thought is that Google has been working this for some time and it is a coincidence but I really have no idea how long it would take to create a browser.

It's a great idea, conceptually, but in practice I've found it (playing with it today) to be pretty buggy and very much in beta.

Chrome?!?!

Chrome!?!?

Their creative naming folks must have been out to lunch!

B)

For those of you in the know...any relationship between MS trying to buy Google and Google launching a web browser? My initial thought is that Google has been working this for some time and it is a coincidence but I really have no idea how long it would take to create a browser.

I doubt it. Google has likely been working on this for quite a long time, and it's a great space for them to slide into; the big 3 browsers (IE, Firefox and Opera) leave quite a bit to be desired. I don't really think Microsoft has anything to do with it.

It's a great idea, conceptually, but in practice I've found it (playing with it today) to be pretty buggy and very much in beta.
Yeah, the more I've used it, the more glaring the issues have become. But it is still in beta, and it shows a lot of promise. We'll see!

Chrome seems rather shallow to me. I would have gone after a name like... Stainless Steel. And, make it a solid program before release.

:)

Nick is that not two separate programs?

BTW have you pretty much healed? I probably missed your healing bruises/suture removal thread.

It is 2 separate programs, but they work together very nicely.

Ok, so somebody answer me this "Why did Google develop this browser?" It has to have had to cost them a pretty good penny to develop, so where is the payback? I don't believe in altruism and I'm a bit paranoid, so show me the money. What are they selling, because it's not the browser.

Ok, so somebody answer me this "Why did Google develop this browser?" It has to have had to cost them a pretty good penny to develop, so where is the payback? I don't believe in altruism and I'm a bit paranoid, so show me the money. What are they selling, because it's not the browser.
They can regulate advertising on it and bring in revenue control they don't have on IE.

Pure capitalistic greed. :D

Just kidding. I thought it was silly between Netscape and IE years back. But, the war continues.

They can regulate advertising on it and bring in revenue control they don't have on IE.

Pure capitalistic greed. :D

Just kidding. I thought it was silly between Netscape and IE years back. But, the war continues.

I know it's about pure capitalistic greed. What I want to know is what is it costing me, because nothing is free.

1. Microsoft killer. Do they need another reason? :D

2. Integrated searching. Default search engine is Google. Google search results contain Adwords TM

3. Google browser = web behavior tracking = $$? (that is simply a completely unsubstantiated hypothesis)

4. Application platform with which to deliver advertising to your desktop independent of web content. Not in beta, but not ruled out in the future by the TOS either.

I know it's about pure capitalistic greed. What I want to know is what is it costing me, because nothing is free.
Really, just the aggravation of the advertising and popups they say they are preventing in google tool bar.

Supposed free software is always written to create an "in your face" effect for those who are really paying for the service to provide.

1. Microsoft killer. Do they need another reason? :D

2. Integrated searching. Default search engine is Google. Google search results contain Adwords TM

3. Google browser = web behavior tracking = $$? (that is simply a completely unsubstantiated hypothesis)

4. Application platform with which to deliver advertising to your desktop independent of web content. Not in beta, but not ruled out in the future by the TOS either.

1. Yeah, because they aren't going to kill Microsoft.

2. I already get that with IE. There's a little search line and Google is my, like most peoples default. It is convenient in IE that with one extra click I can choose the search to be in Wikipedia.

3. This is my concern, who gets the info? GMail has a few big brother issues as well.

4. Well, if handled properly, this could be ok. They do have to remember, the days of the pop up are over and it will destroy them if they bring them back.

1. Yeah, because they aren't going to kill Microsoft.

2. I already get that with IE. There's a little search line and Google is my, like most peoples default. It is convenient in IE that with one extra click I can choose the search to be in Wikipedia.

3. This is my concern, who gets the info? GMail has a few big brother issues as well.

4. Well, if handled properly, this could be ok. They do have to remember, the days of the pop up are over and it will destroy them if they bring them back.

Henning,

I suggest you read the technical details of the browser which I will admit isn't exactly easy to understand. The big thing though--is that this browser is not just another remake of another web browser. It is completely revolutionary and is really needed to push the web further.

Such technology allows *way* better web based applications that can completely replace desktop applications. If you think about this--you might understand why Google wants to develop it. This pulls applications further away from the operating system and gives the operating system less of a roll.

Basically, Google wants to develop web applications that are near impossible to do with the current web browser. Not only that--it's hard to do reliably. So how do they accomplish this? They make their own web browser from the ground up to accommodate it.

To sum this up--I wouldn't recommend any average joe switch to this browser. It is more proof-of-concept right now then anything.

Henning,

I suggest you read the technical details of the browser which I will admit isn't exactly easy to understand. The big thing though--is that this browser is not just another remake of another web browser. It is completely revolutionary and is really needed to push the web further.

Such technology allows *way* better web based applications that can completely replace desktop applications. If you think about this--you might understand why Google wants to develop it. This pulls applications further away from the operating system and gives the operating system less of a roll.

Basically, Google wants to develop web applications that are near impossible to do with the current web browser. Not only that--it's hard to do reliably. So how do they accomplish this? They make their own web browser from the ground up to accommodate it.

To sum this up--I wouldn't recommend any average joe switch to this browser. It is more proof-of-concept right now then anything.

Well, I'm using it right now, and so far it's not bad. With both Firefox and IE on this computer Lenovo X-61 with Vista Ultimate 32bit, whenever I get a video link as from CNN (I think it's Flash Player 9), as I shut it down, it freezes either IE or Firefox.

So what are these webapplictions? What are the intents of them?

So what are these webapplictions? What are the intents of them?

You name it. Office like programs, e-mail programs, flight planning software, photo editing software, blah, blah, blah. Basically the ability to make a website be as functional as a full program you'd download. People get pretty close now but it's a hell of a lot of work.

You name it. Office like programs, e-mail programs, flight planning software, photo editing software, blah, blah, blah. Basically the ability to make a website be as functional as a full program you'd download. People get pretty close now but it's a hell of a lot of work.

So, is IE still running in the background? Is it even possible to fully remove IE? Are they going to go all the way and come up with a good OS as well?
So are these applications going to be pay applications or will they carry ads or be paid for by the NSA as part of a way to streamline monitoring everything everybody does or has on their computer?

I use several online applications, mostly because I have the need to share my work. Google docs being the primary one.

Some are so slow on my 256k (on a good day) DSL connection that they are of limited use to me. Photoshop Express being one.

I guess it is open to interpretation but if you have ever accessed a website using Java or Flash to accomplish something then you have arguably used a Web application. Modern online email interfaces, for one

I use several online applications, mostly because I have the need to share my work. Google docs being the primary one.

Some are so slow on my 256k (on a good day) DSL connection that they are of limited use to me. Photoshop Express being one.

I guess it is open to interpretation but if you have ever accessed a website using Java or Flash to accomplish something then you have arguably used a Web application. Modern online email interfaces, for one

Interesting you bring up Flash. I just went to upload some more pictures and the Flash based loader wouldn't work, nor does the slideshow function within Flicker.

I will not use it....sorry but I find the Google love-fest almost as annoying as the Apple one.

Google is getting too big, getting too much information, and wants to DOMINATE the web-sphere, period. I am sick of the pass people give them because they "do no evil" (yeah tell that to the Chinese citizens they fsked).

I do NOT want to have all of my apps web-based, I want them where *I* can freaking control them, and most importantly where *I* control the data/content I create with them.

People get so blinded by their hatred for MS, or even the government, to fail to see that Google is amassing more information on people than almost anyone else, and they can SELL that information to the same very government that so many seem to fear.

I hope Chrome crashes and burns.

I will not use it....sorry but I find the Google love-fest almost as annoying as the Apple one.

Google is getting too big, getting too much information, and wants to DOMINATE the web-sphere, period. I am sick of the pass people give them because they "do no evil" (yeah tell that to the Chinese citizens they fsked).

I do NOT want to have all of my apps web-based, I want them where *I* can freaking control them, and most importantly where *I* control the data/content I create with them.

People get so blinded by their hatred for MS, or even the government, to fail to see that Google is amassing more information on people than almost anyone else, and they can SELL that information to the same very government that so many seem to fear.

Amen!

I am sick of the pass people give them because they "do no evil" (yeah tell that to the Chinese citizens they fsked)

And they had a choice? They either cooperate with China or they get completely blocked by China and lose a ton of market share. Yeah, that'd go over real well considering they're a public company.

I hope Chrome crashes and burns.

Meh, I have no opinion either way about Google. I like Google earth, and I like the google search engine. Beyond that? I'm not gonna seek out their products unless I need to.

That said, I'm also not gonna go all hippie and freak out on a company that is succeeding and doing well for itself.

Meh, I have no opinion either way about Google. I like Google earth, and I like the google search engine. Beyond that? I'm not gonna seek out their products unless I need to.

That said, I'm also not gonna go all hippie and freak out on a company that is succeeding and doing well for itself.
I'm kind of in the same boat: I like their products quite a bit, but I'm also not all "OMG!!1!!! They're so AWESOME!1!!!!" like some folks.

At the same time, I get a little suspicious of their "We just want to give back to the community, man, 'cause that's, like, what it's all about, man" Hands Across America shtick when their stock is trading at $460 and their market cap is $150,000,000,000 or so or whatever. Color me a cynic.

Back