Chrome Problem

Pinecone

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pinecone
All of a sudden Chrome won't download pages. Edge works fine on the same computer.

I found some info abut setting -no-sandbox and that worked on two computers, but not my main one.

Anyone else having issues? Or more importantly, solutions?

Mine's working just fine.

Anyone here using a Norton extension on Chrome for browsing on a protected VPN? Is it a thing or a scam?

Cleared Cache. Cleared settings. Rebooted several times.

Rebooted several times.

Try a reboot. Yes, you read that right. No, I don't think you are an id10t. It's ******* Microsoft **** **** !

No obvious option available in modern Windows will do a cold start. Since W8 at least.

"Shutdown" closes all apps, does a Hibernate (with driver refresh - whatever that is) and powers off. On power-on it restores the OS state from the Hibernate file. This is along with any problems that it may have saved from the previous session.

"Restart" does a full OS restart but does not power off and so hardware daemons may be lurking.

So:- Web says "You can also perform a full shut down by pressing and holding the Shift key on your keyboard while you click the “Shut Down” option in Windows. This works whether you're clicking the option in the Start menu, on the sign-in screen, or on the screen that appears after you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete."

Give that a go.

On any computers I support I turn OFF "Turn on fast startup". This means that "Shutdown" means "Shutdown". I also add "Hibernate" to the power menu because that is what I normally do when I am finished with the computer. Plenty instructions on interwebs for either.

1701738717271.png

Last edited:
If a full cold restart does not fix it -

I would - (in theory, make sure I have a backup)

Check integrity of OS files. This can take a while, possibly hours but usually not in my experience, and will make heavy use of the disk so I would do it when you do not need the machine.

From Administrator command prompt:-

chkdisk /f
Once complete

sfc /scannow
If it says it fixed it or there was nothing to do then full restart (see previous post). You are done.

If sfc reports unfixed problems then
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Check to see if it wants you to run it again. Repeat if necessary.

Once DISM happy run sfc /scannow again.

I have run this dozens of times (I used to support some dodgy crap) and it has never caused problems and almost always reports a successful result.

If all that fails - uninstall Chrome, full restart, and re-install Chrome

This seems overkill from Chrome acting up. What about uninstalling Chrome and re-installing.

This seems overkill from Chrome acting up. What about uninstalling Chrome and re-installing.
Yes sure.

I think I would check that the OS isn't corrupted first. I considered posting the reinstall chrome option as the earlier one and ultimately decided against it.

Last edited:
Try a reboot. Yes, you read that right. No, I don't think you are an id10t. It's ******* Microsoft **** **** !

No obvious option available in modern Windows will do a cold start. Since W8 at least.

"Shutdown" closes all apps, does a Hibernate (with driver refresh - whatever that is) and powers off. On power-on it restores the OS state from the Hibernate file. This is along with any problems that it may have saved from the previous session.

"Restart" does a full OS restart but does not power off and so hardware daemons may be lurking.

So:- Web says "You can also perform a full shut down by pressing and holding the Shift key on your keyboard while you click the “Shut Down” option in Windows. This works whether you're clicking the option in the Start menu, on the sign-in screen, or on the screen that appears after you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete."

Give that a go.

On any computers I support I turn OFF "Turn on fast startup". This means that "Shutdown" means "Shutdown". I also add "Hibernate" to the power menu because that is what I normally do when I am finished with the computer. Plenty instructions on interwebs for either.

View attachment 123012
Rebooted about 6 times at this point.

Define "doesn't load pages." Can you bring up the console (under developer tools) and see if there's an error message.

As pointed out, Chrome is the way I test and use the forum.

Uninstall and reinstall did not work.

As this occurred on 3 different computers, hard to think it is an OS file issue. And Edge is basically Chrome with a different face, and it works.

Do you have any browser extensions running? Maybe remove/disable those.

Rebooted about 6 times at this point

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the term "reboot".

There is no such term in Windows. This is critical.

Open the power menu, hold down the shift key and chose "Shutdown".
Remove power as far as possible, disconnect cord, remove battery if possible.
Replace battery, power it up and try Chrome again.
Report back.

Back