Christmas Gifts...for Europeans

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Didn't want to hijack the other thread.

We're doing a long European vacation over Christmas break this year. While there, we'll be spending Christmas with a family friend (and her family) in Cologne. We'll also be staying at a friend of THAT friend's house as they will be out of town at the time.

So trying to think of what we could give as gifts:
1. For the family friend and her husband for letting us crash their Christmas
2. Their daughter (3 y/o girl)
3. For the friends of our friend that are letting us stay at their place for 4 days while they are out of town over Christmas themselves.

I'm really blanking on what we could get them that would be unique-ish American, but not too over the top. The family friend was a foreign exchange student that lived with my wife's family in high school, so she has lived the 'American experience' a bit.

Thoughts?

In all seriousness, I don’t know where you live in the US, but probably something local to you.

If you live in the US, Southwest, something dealing with that. It seems Germans are enamored with the US desert SW. Cowboys and Indians and all that. When we lived in Cologne, and locals would find out my wife is from Arizona, she was inundated with questions about living there. We’d go to people’s houses and there would be some scene of the US SW on the wall, or a Navajo carpet/tapestry. Maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but they really do enjoy that part of our country.

:yeahthat:

I agree - something from the American SW would probably be good. Don't know your budget, but there's quite a range of possible gifts. Stetson cowboy hats, western belt buckles, western boots, bolo ties and western shirts, Remington bronze sculptures, an American Quarterhorse,....

Or you could just give everyone bright red MAGA hats. :devil:

Didn't want to hijack the other thread.

We're doing a long European vacation over Christmas break this year. While there, we'll be spending Christmas with a family friend (and her family) in Cologne. We'll also be staying at a friend of THAT friend's house as they will be out of town at the time.

3. For the friends of our friend that are letting us stay at their place for 4 days while they are out of town over Christmas themselves.

I'm really blanking on what we could get them that would be unique-ish American, but not too over the top. The family friend was a foreign exchange student that lived with my wife's family in high school, so she has lived the 'American experience' a bit.

Thoughts?
I see that (I think) you're in Georgia.

Maybe something small from UGA (or GT). Something like a little mini football helmet:
upload_2022-11-19_13-44-45.jpegupload_2022-11-19_13-45-14.jpeg

I think something that speaks to where you're from in the US would mean a lot and be an interesting gift for them.

I see that (I think) you're in Georgia.

Maybe something small from UGA (or GT). Something like a little mini football helmet:

GTYJNV0037_A.jpg

I think something that speaks to where you're from in the US would mean a lot and be an interesting gift for them.

U(sic)GA?! That would be rather insulting. A nice GT gift, though, would be loved by anyone.

:D

Thoughts?

Buccees Beaver Nuggets
Lawn Mower
Buccees Pajamas
Goats

Silver and turquoise jewelry perhaps? Small, easy to pack, has a southwestern flavor - earrings or pendant for her, belt buckle for him? Maybe a smallish cowboy/indian on horseback motif wood carving, like a Remington takeoff? For the little girl there ae some great story/picture books that open up with multiple 3D scenes, some with sound. Pretty cool.

I'll be honest.. I didn't know about the infatuation with the SW. I'll have to dig into that some more.

I like the 'keep it local' idea. That makes it a little easier to focus.

But I may have to pick up that shirt for myself to wear as we connect through CDG on the way over. I'm sure that would go over great!

a hundred litres of LPG?
/sarcasm
Sluggo has it right about the desert SW.

A Lego Maginot Line construction set for the kids?
pic24006.jpg

All joking aside, I agree with something local. Our dealer in Spain seemed to like the Nebraska(!) wines I brought for the last show we attended.

I was in the area pre-pandemic and ran across a store that sold figurines and models for gaming
JAK_3323 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

This one caught my eye because of the armor and what appears to be a WWI tank. I suppose it is a video game or anime I don't know about
JAK_3324 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

Real answer…Bourbon or Tennessee Whisky…the three year old can get something else…they are three and never will remember.

Real answer…Bourbon or Tennessee Whisky…the three year old can get something else…they are three and never will remember.

We are in GA, so I was thinking of some Muscadine Wine. Challenge is getting it over there. Anybody every shipped a bottle of wine to EU (Germany specifically)? Was planning to ship everything over there before we left here anyway, but curious if a bottle of wine would have any chance of survival.

All joking aside, I agree with something local. Our dealer in Spain seemed to like the Nebraska(!) wines I brought for the last show we attended.
I live here too, and even I can't drink that stuff. Yecch. Haven't cracked a bottle yet that wasn't cringe-inducing, and I'm definitely not a wine snob.

Yuck.

Peach preserves, maybe? Pecan pie? Claxton fruitcake?

Yeah, that wine is purely a novelty item.

After looking at the regs for shipping wine, I'm thinking peach preserves may be a better bet.

Back