Christmas dinner?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Will be cooking a rib roast most of the day tomorrow.

Garlic smashed potatoes and green beans.

Don't know about dessert yet.

And I just fixed my whipped cream horseradish sauce for the meat:

1/2 cup heavy cream, whip until stiff

gradually add in:

3 TBS cider vinegar
2 TBS extra hot prepared horseradish
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of ground red pepper

You'll end up with about 1.25 cups of horseradish flavored whipped cream. Refrigerate a couple of hours or overnight so the flavors can blend.

It is outstanding on a ribeye or roast, and makes for a great cold leftover beef sandwich spread.

What time is dinner???:goofy:

:dunno: about tommorow but today is Ham, Shrimp, Crab legs and who knows what else...:yikes:

Last edited:
I think it's going to be some ham looking thing from the looks of the fridge. I'm doing a Prime Rib today though.

My new Mother in Law is doing the rib roast tomorrow. We'really eating at noon so the new Daughter in Law can get a nap in before the 7-7 shift. A ready made family which includes a dog and three cats added to my two dogs and three cats.

New England clam chowder,meat balls,spiral ham. And some Elijah Craig 18.

Tonight we'll be starting with antipasto...prosciutto, sopressata, dry sausage (sweet and hot) roasted peppers and baked clams...dinner is penne with vodka sauce.

Tomorrow starts with antipasto again minus the baked clams and dinner will be stuffed shells.

And lots of red wine both days

Will be cooking a rib roast most of the day tomorrow.

Garlic smashed potatoes and green beans.

Don't know about dessert yet.

And I just fixed my whipped cream horseradish sauce for the meat:

1/2 cup heavy cream, whip until stiff

gradually add in:

3 TBS cider vinegar
2 TBS extra hot prepared horseradish
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of ground red pepper

You'll end up with about 1.25 cups of horseradish flavored whipped cream. Refrigerate a couple of hours or overnight so the flavors can blend.

It is outstanding on a ribeye or roast, and makes for a great cold leftover beef sandwich spread.

And your address is? :D

Ready to cook!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2836.JPG
    IMG_2836.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2837.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 139
We are having a quiet Christmas Day (only 6 of us), and eating light this year. :D
I usually do a shrimp and pate appetizer, followed by a traditional German goose with sauerkraut/apple/walnut dressing. Vegetables vary year to year. This year it's sweet potatoes, green beans, mushrooms in brandy. Followed by fruit, nuts, and cheese. Then stollen, fruitcake, apple pie, pecan pie, cherry pie, 14 different kinds of cookies, and candy and chocolates. I have a selection of wines for each course, and a bunch of different ice creams in the freezer, just in case. We have been baking for weeks.

On Saturday the entire family descends on my house and all hell breaks loose with a tsunami of food. There will be 35+ of us and we all cook, and we are all competitive about it, and we all believe that too much of a good thing is just right.
Also, last night we tested our home brew Christmas beer for this year and it's really good.:goofy:

6 of us here. About to eat a roast that looks awesome.
Listening to the Spin Zone in the other room so I am about to start drinking.

I prefer my mother's Holiday Philosophy.....make a reservation at a first-rate restaurant.

In reality, going to a friend's house. I bring dessert, they cook everything else. Been doing this for 25 years. I also bring Christmas gifts for the dogs. Dessert this year (and last) is a Trifle.

We bounced around different meals over the years as well, finally ending up on the rib roast as well. Since there are only five of us, we keep it kind of simple, with pan roasted new potatoes and carrots, some green beans, and since my eldest has found she has a gluten sensitivity, some frozen gluten free dinner rolls. My wife is making some sort of chocolate attack kind of dessert, it starts with a pan of brownies, and adds chocolate bars and mousse.

I'm attempting gluten free monkey bread for the morning, it's my first attempt at gluten free baking, wish me luck.

Standard Xmas fare....

Turkey, ham, spuds, carrots, home made stuffing, sprouts.

Nice bottle of riesling or 2.

Few Irish coffees along the way

Dessert is banoffee

We are having a quiet Christmas Day (only 6 of us), and eating light this year. :D
I usually do a shrimp and pate appetizer, followed by a traditional German goose with sauerkraut/apple/walnut dressing. Vegetables vary year to year. This year it's sweet potatoes, green beans, mushrooms in brandy. Followed by fruit, nuts, and cheese. Then stollen, fruitcake, apple pie, pecan pie, cherry pie, 14 different kinds of cookies, and candy and chocolates. I have a selection of wines for each course, and a bunch of different ice creams in the freezer, just in case. We have been baking for weeks.

On Saturday the entire family descends on my house and all hell breaks loose with a tsunami of food. There will be 35+ of us and we all cook, and we are all competitive about it, and we all believe that too much of a good thing is just right.
Also, last night we tested our home brew Christmas beer for this year and it's really good.:goofy:

Two words : wow.

I grew up in the days where everyone baked and gave cookies and other goodies to all the friends and neighbors. When I was a kid we were never without somebody's cookies or pies or fruitcakes that would last us for a long time.

Whatever my son and dil are making except for the sweet potato casserole we're bringing.

Two words : wow.

I grew up in the days where everyone baked and gave cookies and other goodies to all the friends and neighbors. When I was a kid we were never without somebody's cookies or pies or fruitcakes that would last us for a long time.

The Sunday after Thanksgiving I make baklava and distribute it to the neighbors. My wife objects because it leaves kind of a mess. I clean it as best I can but it's not up to her standards.

Here is my contribution... Need to let it cool for twenty...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 114
Tonight, clam chowder and homebrew (Porter).

Tomorrow, the traditional turkey dinner. Bread dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, a vegetable side dish that we call "the green stuff", and some kind of fruit salad. For dessert, a choice of apple pie or Kahlua cheesecake. Or, some of each. :rolleyes:

Mark

What is that thing?

It's a biltong box. A South African airline pilot turned me on to it and sent me some of the spice.

Biltong is dried beef. Not beef jerky.

It'll make your tongue beat your brains out! :yesnod: Great for plane trips!

Biltong%20in%20Box%20-11%20Feb%2007.jpg

biltong_2_gallery--gt_full_width_landscape.jpg

They look like mice hanging by their tails. :eek:

Edit: I was looking at the first picture.

20151224_161304_zpspypnbccu.jpg

Cut it, roll it in spice, hang it, forget it for 4 - 7 days.

There are as many variations as there are people. Some brine it first, some put vinegar on it, I like to just cut a good lean roast and roll it in the spice and hang it. No salt. The spice has some salt in it.

You must have a box or a space where flies cannot get to it. Otherwise they lay eggs and you get maggots.

Cut it, roll it in spice, hang it, forget it for 4 - 7 days.

There are as many variations as there are people. Some brine it first, some put vinegar on it, I like to just cut a good lean roast and roll it in the spice and hang it. No salt. The spice has some salt in it.

You must have a box or a space where flies cannot get to it. Otherwise they lay eggs and you get maggots.

MMMM

That sounds yummy....:no::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

I have seen that. But you hit it pretty big last time.
Are you talking about the dandelion potato salad at Cat's Head or the fact that I confessed to eating chicken fried cod and eggs in Greeley?

:eek: :sad:

I'm pretty adventurous about trying stuff to eat, however...

My worst tummy ache ever, which lasted for days, was after eating wild game in Africa (at a fancy hotel buffet).

My worst tummy ache ever, which lasted for days, was after eating wild game in Africa (at a fancy hotel buffet).
Yeahbut that usually comes from the way it's handled, not what it is.

I am jealous of that chicken fried cod.

Really? you can prolly get the exact same product in the frozen fish section of yer local King Soopers (or California equivalent). It was pretty scary...but it wasn't as scary as the "green" chile...which was canned jalapeno slices and red pepper in a fatty gravy. Very much food-like...but no reason to go back. They have really gone down hill at Greeley.

Back