Christmas dinner?

Sipping Jim Beam and waiting for overtime to start in Oakland.

Presents will go under the tree soon enough.

Sneaking presants under the tree.
Drinking Cabernet, Christmas Vacation playing in the living room.

And Photoshopping Santa in our sitting room.
They like me to "Rig cameras" up to catch various visitors.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Santa.jpg
    Santa.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 72
Dinner today will be: Ham, scaollped potatoes, sweet potatoe casserole, green bean casserole, dinner rolls, various cookies, cakes, candies. Lots of wine.

No maggots.

We did a standing rib roast yesterday. Today is a spiral ham.

And biltong is wonderful stuff!

Really? you can prolly get the exact same product in the frozen fish section of yer local King Soopers (or California equivalent). It was pretty scary...but it wasn't as scary as the "green" chile...which was canned jalapeno slices and red pepper in a fatty gravy. Very much food-like...but no reason to go back. They have really gone down hill at Greeley.

You lost me at "frozen fish section." Although, I suppose Trader Vic's would have it if any place here did.

I wonder what mackerel fried chicken would taste like?

5 racks of pork ribs and 3 beef tenderloin.

Next stop, cedar creek lake for cabin Christmas.
Mom claims to have mastered the green egg so we will be experimenting w/ that.

More presents, family, boating, food, wine, cards, and 4 generations living it up!

I only have myself to cook for so it's going to be a couple of New York strip on the grille.

Rib roast is in the oven, "A Christmas Story" is on (again), and all is right with the world.

Instead of the normal S&P, I decided to use the same rub we use on beef tenderloin at BBQ contests. Put this rub on a beef tenderloin, do a smoking version of the "reverse sear" method, and maybe you can get some perfect scores, too.

3-4 TBS coarse ground black pepper
1 TBS kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 TBS chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar

(Note: if you cut the black pepper to about 2 TBS this makes a pretty good brisket rub.)

Rib roast is in the oven, "A Christmas Story" is on (again) and (again) and (again) and (again) and (again), and all is right with the world.

Instead of the normal S&P, I decided to use the same rub we use on beef tenderloin at BBQ contests. Put this rub on a beef tenderloin, do a smoking version of the "reverse sear" method, and maybe you can get some perfect scores, too.

3-4 TBS coarse ground black pepper
1 TBS kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 TBS chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar

(Note: if you cut the black pepper to about 2 TBS this makes a pretty good brisket rub.)

FTFY.

That movie is on only until my local station replays World Series games 1 and 5 shortly.

Woke up and made German Potato pancakes, when to the airport and plowed a bit of snow, pulled the toy out of its hangar. OAT was +9f, water was 120f, oil was 140f. Cranked up on the first blade... Took a lap around Yellowstone,, Glass smooth air... Sittin in the hottub in about 1 minute ( 114f).. Headed out in an hour or so to a great friends house for a feast......

All is well with my life...:yes::):):):):):)

Chillin in our home away from home.
I need to organize a fly in here one day.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tmp_24217-PANO_20151225_172047-1-1024x2781663835409.jpg
    tmp_24217-PANO_20151225_172047-1-1024x2781663835409.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 41
86F here in Florida today, but as an Englishman Christmas dinner had to be traditional Roast Turkey, ham, roast potatoes, Brussel Sprouts,
Followed by Christmas Pudding lashed in Brandy sauce,

I slow cooked two standing rib roasts, removed the bones and fat, rolled and tied them into a log shape. Cooked them at 225 degrees for a couple hours, them my Egg kept getting hot and ended up part of the time in the low 300's!:eek: I did a bit of a reverse sear, but everything was ready and the internal temp was 130, so I didn't sear it as long as I had planned, I was a bit worried about overcooking!! But it turned out great. Here is the recipe or at least the basic concept I used. :D
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

Last edited:
Looks really good! I'm doing back ribs and chicken. I scored a 3.8 lb rack, and rubbed dry rub spices on it, and it's sitting in plastic waiting for this afternoon. This is like good stuff three days in a row. I'm stoked.

The day after Christmas breakfast.....

Scrambled eggs with Taco Bell hot sauce, toast covered with aerosol cheese, fresh pineapple and watermelon juice to drink.....

My wife might be foreign and exotic, but a chef she is not....

Back