Chinese Cargo Plane Nearly Lands in The Grass at KORD

Wow ,could have been a serious incident,glad all went well.

Probably first day flying a 747 all his time is in a cub on grass. :)

I am crapping myself watching that airliner taxiing to the line of stationary aircraft waiting for departure. That crew was right up close and couldn't do much but watch.

The 747 at ORD was China Air, not Air China. China Air is a Taiwanese airline.

oh my gosh!! That is hard to listen to! Unbelievable

All of them are.

I cringe when I read the stories of fellow CFIs trying to make a living at one of the flight schools that cater to the foreign contracts who say they never feel comfortable with their comprehension of English.

They return to their home countries and there’s no “1500 hour rule” in many of them. They’re sitting right seat on airliner sized equipment that’s coming back across the oceans and mixing with airliners over here at major hubs.

CFIs shouldn’t be the ones signing the English Proficiency stuff at all. I can’t even name a single one I know who’s qualified to assess a non-native speaker of English’s comprehension skills.

That should be done by trained people who understand the languages and the culture barriers long before a student goes anywhere near a CFI.

The near necessity of using a CFI rating to build hours here now will naturally lead to a conflict of interest that shouldn’t be there. “Should I sign this person off to operate alone in the English speaking air traffic system?”

What a gut wrenching decision for some poor student who’s on the edge and being forced by their parents and a government to learn to fly here.

I feel for the controllers who have to deal with these pilots. They can’t revert to “common English” like many of the above examples do, that just makes it worse. But when standard phraseology isn’t comprehended, that’s a native speaker’s backup plan. These folks can’t use that as their backup plan.

How in the world did FAA ever decide that any old CFI can assess this and sign their name to it? Absolutely ridiculous.

Just like having CFIs assess the validity of Citizenship papers for TSA. Send over a bureaucrat who has immunity from liability to look at their passport or anything else on the long list of approved documents, thanks. I’m no damned document forgery expert.

I live in AZ and the sky is full of unintelligible radio chatter. Not just Asian, there is a German training presence here also.:(

Royer, I leeve near the border and hear something similar all the time! (Usually on 121.5 for some reason.)

Back