Childhood ADHD and Anxiety diagnosis

jonnyj

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jonny J
I have read many stories of people with childhood diagnosis made by some quack psychologists being able to get re-evaluated as an adult, get the diagnosis overturned, and get certified. I am basically trying to do the same thing, having recently stopped medication for ADHD and anxiety. My main concern is that my diagnosis was not some quack - a thorough evaluation was done at Mayo Clinic when I was in middle school (but as a rebellious tween I was acting out and did not take the testing seriously, and they said I had ADHD). As for the anxiety they (Mayo Clinic) said I would likely outgrow that, and I have. I am wondering if, assuming I get a new evaluation as an adult having been off the meds for a while, and assuming I do well on said evaluation and it does not show any issues, can the old test still be overturned?

There is always the possibility.

If you are asking in hopes to obtain a medical certificate from the FAA, it is highly recommended to work with an AME who has lots and lots of experience guiding airmen through this particular process. A "secret sauce" of approval is providing the correct reports, details, and data in the proper order and format. Not every AME will know what to do. But the correct one will.

Yeah, I have read a lot of posts here and elsewhere and they all seem to point to Dr. Bruce Chien. I was planning to contact him once I have been off the medication for a few more months, and I was just wondering if anyone had any information in the mean time

One thing I was told by a HIMS neuropsychologist that does this type of testing. It’s not enough to just be off medication, you need a letter from the doctor prescribing the medication to formally say you are discontinuing the medication. Testing should happen three months after the date of the letter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back