Chief Counsel on Instrument Training

Question. Isn't IACRA smart enough to know if the recommending CFI is qualified to recommend a student for a given certificate or rating?
Even if it is, only the recommending instructor's name goes into IACRA. IIRC, the recommending instructor only has to give 3 hours of dual.

Pretty soon all instruction given will need to be entered into a FAA database in order to confirm that you are not cheating by using an unqualified instructor. [where is the sarcasm smilie?]

No doubt it is. And the quality of the private pilot task is far below the quality of the instrument pilot task. OTOH, you have to walk before you learn to run and, considering one of the enumerated 61.65 instrument training tasks is: "Flight by reference to instruments"...
Good point...I haven't done instrument instruction for the instrument rating for a few years, so I'm not as familiar as I guess I should be with the 61.65 requirements.

I'd guess the intent of the difference isn't covered very well there, either, in a lot of cases. :eek:

Even if it is, only the recommending instructor's name goes into IACRA. IIRC, the recommending instructor only has to give 3 hours of dual.

But...

...I really don't think that would hold true IIRC when, in fact, IRC.

You realize that was just a joke playing on the theme of one "I" vs. two...? :)

Too abstract?

I never understood why most instructors scribble tiny little unlegible words into the comment box.

My original crusty old instructor would take up two to three lines of my log book for one entry and he would write something like "this training is in accordance with 61.109(a) 61.105(b)....." etc etc etc

I never understood why most instructors scribble tiny little unlegible words into the comment box.

Because they make those tiny logbooks! For awhile I made up individual forms (notebook size) that I would use in addition to the logbook endorsement. Then I could really get detailed about the lesson, and both myself and the student signed it. Overkill yeah I guess so. Something about liability.... :(

Question. Isn't IACRA smart enough to know if the recommending CFI is qualified to recommend a student for a given certificate or rating?

Good question; I'm not sure, but even still there is no way verify the instrument time logged by any particular CFI is qualified or not.

Thing is, the only way a DPE REALLY knows if a CFI is qualified to sign off an instrument student is to check the FAA data base. Just because a CFI puts CFII in the signature block doesn't necessarily mean he is one, if he is unscrupulous. Penalties to him notwithstanding. Seems to me like the DPE has some responsibility to verify that the CFI is authorized to sign off an instrument student for the ride.

It is. If you try to endorse an IACRA 8710 without holding the certificate needed it will come back and say you're not qualified to endorse the application.

I'm not sure what happens if you endorse a paper copy without the proper credentials and your student uses that. My guess would be that when it goes to OKC the airman registry people check you out.

I don't know if it is common, but every time I've tried to sign someone off while I still have a temporary instructor certificate myself IACRA won't let me do it. So we just use the paper 8710s in those cases.

Back