Chicago Tribune: Half of ATC jobs go to people with no aviation experience

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-experience-faa-says-20140730,0,4798860.story

By Jon Hilkevitch
Tribune reporter
5:22 p.m. CDT, July 30, 2014

More than half of the latest batch of air-traffic controller job offers nationwide went to people with no aviation experience as part of a program designed to expand hiring among the general public, the Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday.

About 22,500 people without an aviation background initially applied. Of those, 837 were offered jobs. The remainder of the roughly 1,600 new controller slots went to more traditional applicants, including military veterans with aviation experience and accredited aviation school graduates.

The hiring breakdown marks a major shift in FAA recruitment strategy, which is now geared toward trying to keep ahead of a wave of controller retirements while also attracting more minorities and women to the nation’s largely white and male controller work force in airport towers and radar facilities, officials have said.

FAA officials defended the switch Wednesday, saying the process that includes a personality test-like biographical assessment helped the agency “select from a larger pool of qualified applicants than under past vacancy announcements” and reduced testing and training costs.

“The bio-data assessment served its intended purpose of screening a large pool of applicants into a smaller group of the best candidates,” an FAA statement issued Wednesday said.

Controller applicants who are hired go through 17 weeks of training at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City and three years of on-the-job training to achieve full certification, the FAA said. The FAA is generally able to shave about five weeks off the training for graduates of the college program.

For almost the last 25 years, until the off-the-street hiring process was implemented in February, the FAA recruited controllers heavily from among military veterans possessing aviation experience and from the 36 FAA-approved college aviation programs across the U.S., the Tribune reported this spring.

Those two groups of candidates, who previously had the inside track to become air-traffic controllers, must now jump through the same hoops as candidates with no aviation background, and the first whittling of potential controller candidates centers on a controversial biographical assessment.

Under the revised program, the pass rate for the almost 6,000 aviation students and graduates was about 13 percent, the FAA said.

Critics of the FAA’s new controller recruitment process said that rate — while three times higher than that of other applicants — was significantly reduced because of the biographical assessment, which weeded out many applicants before they had an opportunity to take the traditional air-traffic control tests that assess knowledge and aptitude for working in the fast-paced, high-tension world of directing planes.

Some aviation experts said the FAA’s move to increase diversity in its controller work force by hiring candidates with no prior aviation experience could compromise flight safety and lead to a high wash-out rate among the new hires.

The FAA will need to replace about 10,000 controllers over the next decade. Many of the agency’s roughly 15,000 controllers are approaching the mandatory retirement age of 56 or are otherwise becoming eligible to collect full pensions.

Members of Congress have sought assurances from the FAA that safety will not be impaired, and the lawmakers also blasted the FAA for a “lack of transparency” in the new controller hiring policy.

The biographical assessment consisted of 62 multiple-choice questions, many of which mirrored questions in a personality test. It included questions about how peers would describe the individual and the age at which the person started to earn money.

Some critics, including faculty of college controller training programs, said the online biographical assessment included no safeguards to ensure that the job applicant was actually the same person who took the assessment.

The FAA said it received more than 28,000 applications for 1,700 controller candidate vacancies, including about 22,500 applications from the general public, of which 837 passed and were offered jobs.

Applicants with controller training in college programs “did very well,’’ FAA spokeswoman Kristie Greco said, pointing to the 754 jobs offered to air-traffic control students and graduates.

About 65 percent of the new class of controller candidates has “some combination of (collegiate controller training), military or some specific aviation-related work history or experience,’’ Greco said.​

There was some talk about this a while back. The stated reason was to increase 'diversity'.

I failed the Bio-Q. Probably because I'm a white male.

**** diversity. It's all a bunch of bull**** anyway.

Which do you want to be accused of: Cronyism or hiring incompetent employees?

Not unusual. Visit a tower and ask them if they fly. Most will tell you they don't and have no plan too.

Don't know about that. At my facility I'd say a majority of the controllers have either a PPL or higher, or have logged a few hours.

I have volunteered and given rides to two or three non-pilot controllers. I figure that I have a vested interest in making the tower staff as competent as possible.

One ride I remember with a smile: We were on a right downwind and there was an airplane below us on about a 1/2 mile final. I commented on it, there was a pause, and the controller said: "Gee, he's really hard to see, isn't he?" I think (hope?) that the experience made him a better controller.

Our FBO and Flight School has an annual BBQ that we call "Meet the Controllers" where we get to (yup) meet the controllers and most of them get rides in light planes owned by various people in the local pilot community.

We all have that favorite controller on a familiar route and we visualize the controller being just smoking hot. I don't want to meet any of them and ruin the fantasy.

I wrote this gender neutral so everyone can play along.....You know you do it.

In the airforce tower operators were taught when they needed them. Most were very young and had no prior flying experience. They were sent to school like everyone else. So what's the big headline? Many went on to civilian cto jobs. Probably still do. Yawn.

I just read an article that states the majority of pilots in the world have no previous aviation experience before getting trained and licensed.

I'm in total shock! How could this be??

Do these people want to be controllers or just want to be federal employees?

In the 70's and 80's ATC hired "no experience" applicants also. No big deal. Train them.

Only in the 90's did we see these "university to ATC" direct track schools pop up.

This is no big deal. Train them. NASA Astronauts before NASA were not astronauts either.

:rolleyes2:

I just read an article that states the majority of pilots in the world have no previous aviation experience before getting trained and licensed.

I'm in total shock! How could this be??

Ahem. The equivalent headline for piloting would be "Half of ATP jobs go to people with no aviation experience."

The "total shock" analogy would be the airlines suddenly using a personality test to determine who they would offer jobs to, disregarding any previous flight experience applicants might have and the airlines funding all the training needed to attain ATP.

me thinks an agenda is behind these "news articles" aka the universities ($$$) that are competing with the general public. The fact is, to BACKFILL 10,000 bodies, the universities output is not matching so FAA must (shock) hire, evaluate, and train, from public applicants. Revolutionary concept I know

amazingly (or not so...) the same crowd who is against the "hire ATC controllers from the public" concept will ALSO be against any airline hiring program that is strictly from the military or more appropriate to this example, military academy graduates.

Hiring only pilots who graduated from military academies ? That is not fair ! What about those who did not have the luck/opportunity/whatever to attend an academy ?

Pot calling kettle black

Last edited:
Ahem. The equivalent headline for piloting would be "Half of ATP jobs go to people with no aviation experience."

The "total shock" analogy would be the airlines suddenly using a personality test to determine who they would offer jobs to, disregarding any previous flight experience applicants might have and the airlines funding all the training needed to attain ATP.

If you get some kid right out of college, what aviation experience should he have?

In the 70's and 80's ATC hired "no experience" applicants also. No big deal. Train them.

Only in the 90's did we see these "university to ATC" direct track schools pop up.

This is no big deal. Train them. NASA Astronauts before NASA were not astronauts either.

NASA will not offer an astronaut job simply on the basis of a personality test. See http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/postsecondary/features/F_Astronaut_Requirements.html

The FAA has basically terminated the ATC schools by employing a personality test that disregards anything the school has any knowledge or control over.

NASA will not offer an astronaut job simply on the basis of a personality test. See http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/postsecondary/features/F_Astronaut_Requirements.html

The FAA has basically terminated the ATC schools by employing a personality test that disregards anything the school has any knowledge or control over.

I guess at the end of the day, the hiring agency (or company if private sector) decides what requirements are needed to get the job. Or is this concept just so far into left field that I need my head examined ?

I guess at the end of the day, the hiring agency (or company if private sector) decides what requirements are needed to get the job. Or is this concept just so far into left field that I need my head examined ?

The question isn't what the agency gets to decide, but what do you or I or anyone else reading this thread think of their changed requirements?

Was there a personality test in the 70s and 80s?

Do you think the newly introduced personality test was or was not instituted with adequate warning? Who do you think lost the most due to the short notice between announcement and implementation? Gained the most?

My son is starting his senior year of college, majoring in ATC. He's maintained a 3.5 average and done well in all his ATC classes. But the prospect of a "personality test" (despite him being very personable!) possibly cutting his desired career path off at the pass is a bit frustrating three years and $50K into the process.

Maybe Sheppard Air will come up with a study guide for the personality test...

We all have that favorite controller on a familiar route and we visualize the controller being just smoking hot. I don't want to meet any of them and ruin the fantasy.

I wrote this gender neutral so everyone can play along.....You know you do it.

I have met all of the female controllers at my airport.....they are all as attractive as their voices might indicate. Dunno if that's normal or not.

I don't think prior aviation knowledge is necessary. But I do like the idea of controllers spending time in both GA and airline cockpits to get a feel for what we're doing behind the scenes, just as I think there's value in pilots taking a tour of a Tower/TRACON/ARTCC. I've always loved and appreciated the various tours, and I think it's given me a better appreciation of the guys/gals on the other end of the radio.

I don't think prior aviation knowledge is necessary. But I do like the idea of controllers spending time in both GA and airline cockpits to get a feel for what we're doing behind the scenes, just as I think there's value in pilots taking a tour of a Tower/TRACON/ARTCC. I've always loved and appreciated the various tours, and I think it's given me a better appreciation of the guys/gals on the other end of the radio.

Controllers use to be able to get FAM flights and sit in the jumpseat to observe. Unfortunately it got abused and caused the end of the program.

I finally met one of my home airport controllers last week, he was at the FBO, taking a flight lesson!! I've talked with him on the radio for years, he's a customer of my service department and always asks about fishing. Great to put a face with the voice! I wouldn't describe him as hot, but he's a nice guy! :lol:

In the airforce tower operators were taught when they needed them. Most were very young and had no prior flying experience. They were sent to school like everyone else. So what's the big headline? Many went on to civilian cto jobs. Probably still do. Yawn.

I suspect that what the headline is trying to say, but didn't articulate well is that there is a slight shift in hiring away from former military controllers. There has always been a mix, and while the numbers show they still hired a fair number of former mil ATC, I've heard that a lot of qualified ATC vets were turned away.

It is news, but not really earth shattering headline news.

Take a look at just the numbers for a second.

There were 28,000 applicants for 1,700 positions. Of the 28,000 applicants, 22,500 (80%) have no aviation background and 5,500 (20%) do. Of the 1,700 positions, 837 went to those without aviation background and 863 went to those with an aviation background or basically 50% of the new hires came from each group. Fifty percent of the positions went to 20% of the applicants!

Additionally, those with an aviation background had a 16% chance of being hired where the non-aviation applicants only had a 4% chance of being hired. Based on just the numbers, it looks like if you have an aviation background and pass the personality test, your chances of being hired are much better than those without an aviation background.

Take a look at just the numbers for a second.

But there were 5,500 applicants with an aviation background available to fill the 1,700 positions. I can't imagine any legitimate reason why 100% wouldn't be hired from that group. There must have been ample diversity and "personality" in that group also.

But there were 5,500 applicants with an aviation background available to fill the 1,700 positions. I can't imagine any legitimate reason why 100% wouldn't be hired from that group. There must have been ample diversity and "personality" in that group also.

You don't know any pilots that wouldn't be suitable in an ATC environment or non-pilots that would be excellent in that environment? I do.

It's just so bass-ackwards to throw that test out just before the final gate for folks that were in school programs. Sure, diversity, great. The long term benefits and goals are worthwhile. The diversity test should be earlier in the process, but I guess that would not be "fast enough change". (IMO)

Warning - hyperbole ahead: This feels a little like throwing a bio diversity or bedside manner test at a Dr in their last year of residency.

The biographical assessment consisted of 62 multiple-choice questions, ....

Some critics, including faculty of college controller training programs, said the online biographical assessment included no safeguards to ensure that the job applicant was actually the same person who took the assessment.

So why don't they use the testing centers that the FAA already has for exams?

Jonesy, your son's personality quiz better find him to be a female LGBT with a skin color other than white or he is going to flunk most likely - cuz that is what 'diversity' means these days.

I personally don't care who ATC hires and trains. I kinda remember that in my class of 100 we were picked from thousands of applicants and not a one of us had any experience at being a physician prior. Who'd a thunk :dunno:

On the comment about airplanes being kinda hard to see, not only should controllers be required to receive an Airman's Certificate within x years of being hired, they should also have to start the instrument rating to experience the joys of approach controllers unerringly knowing when your workload on an IMC approach (no autopilot) is at the highest to rapid fire a string of near gibberish.
Ya, ya, I know they feel their stuff is simple - simple for them, they have been reeling off the same spiel every 90 seconds for hours. And I can toss off little bon mots like choledochojejunostomy and non sclerosing panencephalitis with the speech pattern of a chipmunk on speed - but it is not really helpful..
I have long thought that instrument approaches should be mostly/all STAR like preset approaches where approach control instructions when you are at an IAF ten miles out will consist of the wind and pressure and "cleared to approach and land via RAINY 32" and other than you deviating he will keep his yap shut.

Hang out at the tanning salon?

If humans can go transgender what is stopping trans-race?

Go from a big black male to a big white woman, or vise versa?

Last edited:
More than half of the latest batch of air-traffic controller job offers nationwide went to people with no aviation experience as part of a program designed to expand hiring among the general public, the Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday.

This is news? Only about a third of the people in my initial enroute non-radar class had any prior experience in aviation. That was over thirty years ago. Hell, the FAA Administrator isn't required to have any aviation experience, why should ATC?

I suspect that what the headline is trying to say, but didn't articulate well is that there is a slight shift in hiring away from former military controllers. There has always been a mix, and while the numbers show they still hired a fair number of former mil ATC, I've heard that a lot of qualified ATC vets were turned away.

It is news, but not really earth shattering headline news.

Is part of that age? I met a female contract tower controller at my home airport. She and her husband were both military controllers, including experience in Iraq. But after getting out, she was past the FAA new hire age, whatever that may be. It's a shame, because she's a great controller. The FAA missed out.

You don't know any pilots that wouldn't be suitable in an ATC environment or non-pilots that would be excellent in that environment? I do.

I don't have any trouble believing that there are applicants without an aviation background who turn out to be excellent controllers, but in order to find 1700 suitable applicants in a pool of 5500 with an aviation background, you don't need the number of unsuitable applicants to be zero. You only need it to be less than 69%.

...but in order to find 1700 suitable applicants in a pool of 5500 with an aviation background, you don't need the number of unsuitable applicants to be zero. You only need it to be less than 69%.

Your definition implies that any suitable candidate with any aviation background is, by default, better than all of the potential candidates without any aviation background. That is most likely not the case.

Back