Chicago to NOLA trip in Piper Arrow

ArrowFlyer86

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
Took my Arrow from Chicago to NOLA (Lakefront). First time to NOLA, and probably the longest flight I've done yet. Wanted to share the details in case there are any other pilots teeing up some adventures as the weather is getting nice !

Overall:
Amazing trip, I loved the flight (and NOLA). Incredibly rewarding to get out of the flat, farm-land of the Midwest and head south where there's more hills, forests, rivers and swamps. Though admittedly the swamps had my blood pressure up a bit as I constantly scanned for an even remotely inviting engine-out landing spot! It doesn't get too hostile until the last stretch down to NOLA (at least compared to what I'm used to in IL).

Flying over Mississippi was awesome, especially when practice military jets were nearby. I'll admit it was pretty cool having Jackson MS tower tell me that "TORCH3" was something like 5 miles behind me but would be passing off my right wing, and then seemingly less than a minute later he just ROCKETED by. I don't see that everyday in Chicago!

On both routes I got to fly above the clouds (as I was certain from METARs and TAFs that I could except clear skies anywhere near my landing airports). That was a lot of fun. Hit a little bit of rain but was nearly always 10+ miles visibility.

Flight plan:
KDPA -> KMKL (refuel) -> KNEW... Then flew the same thing in reverse.
Whole flight was VFR and entire flight both ways was on flight following. Oddly enough my altitude on the way there was 7500 (despite a slight western heading), and 5500 on the way back. Normally I'd switch to a VFR accepted altitude for a western heading, but because my VOR waypoints alternated between slight east/west -- center was OK with me sticking with that altitude. I didn't argue with them!

Didn't file a flight plan with Flight Services since I was keeping flight following the whole way. I think that's OK? I figure I'll be on with ATC in case anything happens to me... Thoughts on that?

Airports:
KMKL (McKelar-Sipes Airport in TN) was great. I wish I'd been able to practice at a delta airport like that when I was getting my PPL. Super friendly folks down there.
KNEW (Lakefront - New Orleans) was also great. I went to FlightLine First since it's local and has better reviews. Painless. Just dropped the plane off, topped the tanks off and was out of there in 5 minutes in an Uber. Charged me $10 a day ramp fee (I also fueled up there), and $7.13 a gallon for 100LL (ouch). Originally intended a 3 day stay, but found out French Quarter Festival was going on so ended up staying a full week! No issue at all extending stay. My whole bill was about $320. Equivalent to about 1 night of hotel expense in French Quarter!

City:
NOLA. Incredible. Dear god. I can't believe this is my first time there. I'll be back every chance I get. The food, the architecture, the relaxed atmosphere. If you haven't been -- you must go.

Side Notes:
I'm rarely ever nervous while flying, but I'll admit that during my return flight from KNEW back to Chicago, departing on 36 directly over Lake Pontchartrain, I had sweaty palms. I think ground might have been able to detect that when I seemed uncertain about picking up flight following, my mind was a little elsewhere as I confirmed my plans in case of emergency. The idea of having an engine out over those murky waters with gators and god knows what else below gave me some incentive to try and not get too far from the lake shore. Some base, animal instinct, or maybe the uncomplicated feeling of primal fear told me to kiss my ass goodbye if I lost power!

(Separately, I was sweating like a whore in church on the tarmac as I did my ground ops and run-up in the Louisiana sun. I have a new-found respect for pilots in the south who can deal with that!)

Haven't been to Mississippi in 20 years or more, and unfortunately didn't get a chance to land there. But I definitely want to go back and find some cool places to land. I totally underestimated how green it is from above. Andddd how full of MOAs it is! (at least on my flight path).

Anywho, highly recommend any other Chicagoans make the journey down there! If anyone has recommendations on places to go from Chicago, I'd love to hear 'em.

**Side note: I only snapped pictures when it was safe to do so. And I have GoPros mounted in my cabin, so you don't need to worry about sharing the skies with a distracted pilot!**

Attachments

• Bourbon1.jpg
    Bourbon1.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Bourbon3.jpg
    Bourbon3.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 55
  • BourbonNearby1.jpg
    BourbonNearby1.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 53
  • BourbonNearby2.jpg
    BourbonNearby2.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 49
  • ClimbingAbove.jpg
    ClimbingAbove.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 53
  • FunAboveTheClouds.jpg
    FunAboveTheClouds.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 55
  • FunAboveTheClouds3.jpg
    FunAboveTheClouds3.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 48
  • KNEW_GOODYEAR.jpg
    KNEW_GOODYEAR.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 48
  • AlmostHomeToDPA.jpg
    AlmostHomeToDPA.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
So the French Quarters is packed like that all the time? Not just Mardi Gras?

Sounds like an awesome trip. I rent a little north of you at 3CK.

Curious for my learning - do you own your Arrow solo or in a partnership? Do you have an IR?

Thanks for sharing. I love a report like that.

Curious for my learning - do you own your Arrow solo or in a partnership? Do you have an IR?

Prior to "French Quarter Festival" it was still quite busy. I'm guessing it's busy all the time? But someone who has visited more than me would probably be able to give a more qualified answer!

Re: ownership. I own my Arrow solo since October 2020. I did the cost/benefit analysis and realized that for as much as I want to fly (220h in the last 18 months), it wouldn't make sense to rent. I do not have an instrument rating, though I'm running out of excuses for postponing it. I really need to just make the investment and start doing the training.

And 3CK is one I still haven't been to yet. Every time I've flown by there's people in the pattern, so I'm guessing it's a busy little airport! What kind do you rent?

Lots of other times. I've been there for Jazz Fest, Essence Festival, New Years as well as Mardis Gras and French Quarter Fest. Haven't done Satchmo Fest yet, but someday.

Took my Arrow from Chicago to NOLA (Lakefront). First time to NOLA, and probably the longest flight I've done yet. Wanted to share the details in case there are any other pilots teeing up some adventures as the weather is getting nice !

Overall:
Amazing trip, I loved the flight (and NOLA). Incredibly rewarding to get out of the flat, farm-land of the Midwest and head south where there's more hills, forests, rivers and swamps. Though admittedly the swamps had my blood pressure up a bit as I constantly scanned for an even remotely inviting engine-out landing spot! It doesn't get too hostile until the last stretch down to NOLA (at least compared to what I'm used to in IL).

Flying over Mississippi was awesome, especially when practice military jets were nearby. I'll admit it was pretty cool having Jackson MS tower tell me that "TORCH3" was something like 5 miles behind me but would be passing off my right wing, and then seemingly less than a minute later he just ROCKETED by. I don't see that everyday in Chicago!

On both routes I got to fly above the clouds (as I was certain from METARs and TAFs that I could except clear skies anywhere near my landing airports). That was a lot of fun. Hit a little bit of rain but was nearly always 10+ miles visibility.

Flight plan:
KDPA -> KMKL (refuel) -> KNEW... Then flew the same thing in reverse.
Whole flight was VFR and entire flight both ways was on flight following. Oddly enough my altitude on the way there was 7500 (despite a slight western heading), and 5500 on the way back. Normally I'd switch to a VFR accepted altitude for a western heading, but because my VOR waypoints alternated between slight east/west -- center was OK with me sticking with that altitude. I didn't argue with them!

Didn't file a flight plan with Flight Services since I was keeping flight following the whole way. I think that's OK? I figure I'll be on with ATC in case anything happens to me... Thoughts on that?

Airports:
KMKL (McKelar-Sipes Airport in TN) was great. I wish I'd been able to practice at a delta airport like that when I was getting my PPL. Super friendly folks down there.
KNEW (Lakefront - New Orleans) was also great. I went to FlightLine First since it's local and has better reviews. Painless. Just dropped the plane off, topped the tanks off and was out of there in 5 minutes in an Uber. Charged me $10 a day ramp fee (I also fueled up there), and $7.13 a gallon for 100LL (ouch). Originally intended a 3 day stay, but found out French Quarter Festival was going on so ended up staying a full week! No issue at all extending stay. My whole bill was about $320. Equivalent to about 1 night of hotel expense in French Quarter!

City:
NOLA. Incredible. Dear god. I can't believe this is my first time there. I'll be back every chance I get. The food, the architecture, the relaxed atmosphere. If you haven't been -- you must go.

Side Notes:
I'm rarely ever nervous while flying, but I'll admit that during my return flight from KNEW back to Chicago, departing on 36 directly over Lake Pontchartrain, I had sweaty palms. I think ground might have been able to detect that when I seemed uncertain about picking up flight following, my mind was a little elsewhere as I confirmed my plans in case of emergency. The idea of having an engine out over those murky waters with gators and god knows what else below gave me some incentive to try and not get too far from the lake shore. Some base, animal instinct, or maybe the uncomplicated feeling of primal fear told me to kiss my ass goodbye if I lost power!

(Separately, I was sweating like a whore in church on the tarmac as I did my ground ops and run-up in the Louisiana sun. I have a new-found respect for pilots in the south who can deal with that!)

Haven't been to Mississippi in 20 years or more, and unfortunately didn't get a chance to land there. But I definitely want to go back and find some cool places to land. I totally underestimated how green it is from above. Andddd how full of MOAs it is! (at least on my flight path).

Anywho, highly recommend any other Chicagoans make the journey down there! If anyone has recommendations on places to go from Chicago, I'd love to hear 'em.

**Side note: I only snapped pictures when it was safe to do so. And I have GoPros mounted in my cabin, so you don't need to worry about sharing the skies with a distracted pilot!**
"....Didn't file a flight plan with Flight Services since I was keeping flight following the whole way. I think that's OK? I figure I'll be on with ATC in case anything happens to me... Thoughts on that?...."
If you want SAR to come looking for you if you go down and nobody on the ground see's it happen, you should probably file a VFR Flight Plan. Or have someone on the ground know what your ETA is and your planned route of flight who will call the authorities and say 'he's supposed to be here by now and he isn't. ATC can, and does from time to terminate Flight Following. Can be becuase of Radar Coverage or just that they get to busy to continue doing it or even begin doing it in the first place.

"....Didn't file a flight plan with Flight Services since I was keeping flight following the whole way. I think that's OK? I figure I'll be on with ATC in case anything happens to me... Thoughts on that?...."
If you want SAR to come looking for you if you go down and nobody on the ground see's it happen, you should probably file a VFR Flight Plan. Or have someone on the ground know what your ETA is and your planned route of flight who will call the authorities and say 'he's supposed to be here by now and he isn't. ATC can, and does from time to terminate Flight Following. Can be becuase of Radar Coverage or just that they get to busy to continue doing it or even begin doing it in the first place.

That's a good point. There's been a few times where they've terminated my flight following well before I reach my destination.

@Tom Wells renting 172s. I took a break from aviation 2012 (really 2008) through Thanksgiving last year.

I’ve looked into owning (primarily through a partnership or club) but by delaying my return until late 2021 and 2022 . . . Prices are exorbitantly high and clubs all have wait lists.

Blue Skies at 3CK has a nice fleet with an Arrow (I think 200), 2 Archers, 2 180hp 172s and maybe 8 Warriors?

Seem well maintained (they fix squawks quickly), they’re in hangars with Tanis heaters and cabin heaters and the snow is always shoveled in the winter . . Other than not being my plane, not being able to take a plane spur of the moment or even dream of extending my flight an hour for lunch, let alone a week to stay in NOLA longer . . . It’s great! ;)

It is lower financial risk but I average 1 hr a month as a result. Very busy training school coupled with my tight work and family schedule.

@Tom Wells renting 172s. I took a break from aviation 2012 (really 2008) through Thanksgiving last year.

I’ve looked into owning (primarily through a partnership or club) but by delaying my return until late 2021 and 2022 . . . Prices are exorbitantly high and clubs all have wait lists.

Blue Skies at 3CK has a nice fleet with an Arrow (I think 200), 2 Archers, 2 180hp 172s and maybe 8 Warriors?

Seem well maintained (they fix squawks quickly), they’re in hangars with Tanis heaters and cabin heaters and the snow is always shoveled in the winter . . Other than not being my plane, not being able to take a plane spur of the moment or even dream of extending my flight an hour for lunch, let alone a week to stay in NOLA longer . . . It’s great! ;)

It is lower financial risk but I average 1 hr a month as a result. Very busy training school coupled with my tight work and family schedule.

That does sound like a solid fleet with lots of choices. Glad you're still able to get out for a bit every month!

How long was the flight? How many stops?
What was your average cruise each way?

The flight there was 6h9m, that includes 1 stop in TN for fuel.
The flight back was 7h20m, that includes 1 stop in TN for fuel.
Can't remember the TAS on cruise, probably should have noted that...

Flew to Mobile, AL (KBFM) and on to New Orleans (KNEW) in May. Easy to Uber into town from both of these. No need for a car. Stay in downtown Mobile. Lots of places in walking distance. Great food on Dauphin St., Museums nearby. If you get a car, be sure to drive the 45 minutes to Alligator Alley.

Back