Chicago Police Will Taser Just About Anyone

Whens the last time you've had to physically control someone who didn't want to submit? WITHOUT hurting them. and WITHOUT assaulting them?

And tasering someone is not assaulting them?

Maybe you should tell these MI cops that...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10378923/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. — A police officer has been charged with using a Taser on his partner during an argument over whether they should stop for a soft drink.

Ronald Dupuis, 32, was charged Wednesday with assault and could face up to three months in jail if convicted. The six-year veteran was fired after the Nov. 3 incident.

Dupuis and partner Prema Graham began arguing after Dupuis demanded she stop their car at a store so he could buy a soft drink, according to a police report.

The two then struggled over the steering wheel, and Dupuis hit her leg with his department-issued Taser, the report said. She was not seriously hurt.

Hamtramck police union lawyer Eugene Bolanowski said he expected Dupuis to hire a private lawyer.

Hamtramck is a city of 23,000 surrounded by Detroit.

I had a 50 or so year old woman come at me once with a meat cleaver. She was not exactly right in the head, but that's not the point here. Did I shoot her? No... Would I have used a taser if I had had one? Probably not... I used pain compliance to get her to release the cleaver and then told her that such actions were not a good idea. I then gave the meat cleaver to the woman's mother and told her to try and keep sharp objects away from her from now on...

Last edited:
Me too. Matter of fact I have. Multiple times.

Unfortunately I've been beaten by a baton too, by a coworker with poor aim (or an axe to grind not sure :ihih: )

When it comes to using weapons to overcome people who don't want to submit no matter how silvertongued we try to be, nothing is ever perfect and unfortunate circumstances will always happen. The stats are there. Less people die in custody these days, less people require treatment after a fight. That people still die in custody does not make the first statistic any less important. To date the TASER is the best we have available to us...I feel very strongly about this, though obviously it is not the only tool. There are still circumstances where I have to use my hands, my brain, my baton or my firearm.

Tasers are an incredibly valuable tool. They've certainly been misused, perhaps even purposefully so, and the potential for death also remains (far reduced, however), but when the choice is between a taser and either a bullet or a cracked skull. 9.9999/10, the taser leaves you with a guy who's not dead/injured, has no need for medical treatment at public expense, and there's no risk of a lawsuit - that's a no-lose situation.

I can think of several incidents where the choice was literally taser or bullet.

I understand peoples' objections, and there are cetainly times when those objections are justified. But, think about it for a minute: in those times were someone was "wrongfully tased," don't you think that were the taser not present it would have been "wrongfully skullthumped" or "wrongfully shot," or at the minimum, "wrongfully arrested?"

As for the incredibly rare deaths, again, it comes down to "that person was looking at getting shot absent the taser."

All-in-all, tasers are a major net gain for all of us.

It's notable that most agencies require officers to experience a TASER "tase" before being authorized to carry it, and each time they are recertified.

Similarly we are regularly sprayed with OC, maced, handcuffed, and beaten with similated batons (that still hurt like hell.)

While this may simply serve as a reminder of the level of nitwitism required of those who agree to be in this line of work; and the importance of preparing an officer or agent in case he is unintentionally hit with "friendly fire" in a dynamic situation...it is also important as a reminder that we are expected to have some "skin in the game", so to speak.

Being shot with real bullets is not yet a requirement, though I'm sure if command level staff could find a way to do it without losing employee efficiency, it would be. Sounds great in a deposition when you can say that you've been tased/beaten/sprayed in training.

^I'll take the taser over the spray any day of the week.

Awh, come on... At least with the pepper spray, you can use it to spice up your food...

I always figured that pepper spray should be reserved for people who light up in a non-smoking restaurant... <evil-grin>

Awh, come on... At least with the pepper spray, you can use it to spice up your food...

I always figured that pepper spray should be reserved for people who light up in a non-smoking restaurant... <evil-grin>

Dont season your food by spraying upwind... just sayin..

Back