Chicago Police Will Taser Just About Anyone

Perhaps they would prefer that they continue to beat with them with batons instead?

I have a c-note saying that trips to the ER by both officers and suspects after arrest went down by 33% or more since they were introduced.

But that doesn't sell newspapers.

683 taser incidents? They have over 13,000 officers.
That means around 95% of the force that didn't tase anyone last year. Lazy bums.

That'll make you think twice about putting ketsup on a dog.....

I Like the part where they say that soon they will be tazering people for jaywalking. Hey I think that is a good Idea! Tazer some of them moron jaywalkers , maybe they'll use a crosswalk! Dave

Hangar Talk Open forum for discussion of any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise.

Virtually all topics in this forum are permitted - so long as they are discussed in a civil manner.

NOTE: Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged should be posted in The Spin Zone. To gain access to the Spin Zone, click this link and join the Spin Zone group.

Hangar Talk Open forum for discussion of any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise.

Virtually all topics in this forum are permitted - so long as they are discussed in a civil manner.

NOTE: Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged should be posted in The Spin Zone. To gain access to the Spin Zone, click this link and join the Spin Zone group.

Evidently you are the only one that thinks so of this thread. As Sgt Hulka would say, "Lighten up, Frances."

I Like the part where they say that soon they will be tazering people for jaywalking. Hey I think that is a good Idea! Tazer some of them moron jaywalkers , maybe they'll use a crosswalk! Dave

Crosswalks? What are those? Oh, are you talking about some of those white lines they paint around intersections? In New York City they seem to spend tons of money painting those things which are no more than polite suggestions for where one should cross. They also paint these "lane marker" suggestion lines, too.

:D

Make sure you nail 'em right in the middle of the street. Then they can double as speedbumps to slow down those Chicago drivers. :D

Then again, maybe not. I doubt a Chicago driver would slow down for a dead body.

ThumpThump

Last edited by a moderator:
Evidently you are the only one that thinks so of this thread. As Sgt Hulka would say, "Lighten up, Frances."
I dunno, Ed. I think Peggy's post may have been a little more subtle than that.

"Highly charged." Taser. Get it? :cornut:

I dunno, Ed. I think Peggy's post may have been a little more subtle than that.

"Highly charged." Taser. Get it? :cornut:

She claims "spin zone material" too often for me to think it was a joke.

She claims "spin zone material" too often for me to think it was a joke.

I've noticed on the web that some people just get offended a bit too easily and are always complaining to the admins of the boards about the posts of others... You would think that they would eventually learn to just avoid those areas where they might be offended...

With regard to this topic though... Here in Houston, we often hear about people dying after being tasered. It is not a non-lethal weapon or even a "less than lethal"... I was going to say that it is a "not usually lethal", but I think "not always lethal" would be a better description... Personally, I think that there is a chance that you will die from the taser, if someone is pointing a taser at you, you should react the same way as if the person was pointing a gun at you.

Perhaps they would prefer that they continue to beat with them with batons instead?

Very true. Have you guys seen the batons CPD carries? They are those nice PR-24 batons most modern departments use. Nope. CPD keeps it "old school" with a straight hickory wooden baton that will crack your skull like a walnut. No thanks. If I have the choice between being beaten with a CPD baton or being tased, I'll take the taser.

Very true. Have you guys seen the batons CPD carries? They are those nice PR-24 batons most modern departments use. Nope. CPD keeps it "old school" with a straight hickory wooden baton that will crack your skull like a walnut. No thanks. If I have the choice between being beaten with a CPD baton or being tased, I'll take the taser.

Me too. Matter of fact I have. Multiple times.

Unfortunately I've been beaten by a baton too, by a coworker with poor aim (or an axe to grind not sure :ihih: )

When it comes to using weapons to overcome people who don't want to submit no matter how silvertongued we try to be, nothing is ever perfect and unfortunate circumstances will always happen. The stats are there. Less people die in custody these days, less people require treatment after a fight. That people still die in custody does not make the first statistic any less important. To date the TASER is the best we have available to us...I feel very strongly about this, though obviously it is not the only tool. There are still circumstances where I have to use my hands, my brain, my baton or my firearm.

^Well said Alaska. I for one know that I like it when I can talk someone into the cuffs, its a whole lot easier not to mention less paperwork.

When it comes to using weapons to overcome people who don't want to submit no matter how silvertongued we try to be, nothing is ever perfect and unfortunate circumstances will always happen. The stats are there. Less people die in custody these days, less people require treatment after a fight. That people still die in custody does not make the first statistic any less important. To date the TASER is the best we have available to us...I feel very strongly about this, though obviously it is not the only tool. There are still circumstances where I have to use my hands, my brain, my baton or my firearm.

Thank you for that. I was just amused by throw-away lines like "And really, what better way to break up an argument than by electrocuting someone?" and that's why I posted the link. Like others, I hear the occasional story on the news of people dying after getting tasered, but those stories don't give us the overall perspective on their use.

Thank you for that. I was just amused by throw-away lines like "And really, what better way to break up an argument than by electrocuting someone?" and that's why I posted the link. Like others, I hear the occasional story on the news of people dying after getting tasered, but those stories don't give us the overall perspective on their use.

Well, not everyone tasered is killed, just like not everyone that is shot is killed... In Houston, if you go by what you see in the newspaper, the odds appear to be greater for you to be killed if you are tasered than if you are shot... I'm not sure if that is due to the aim of the cops or just that tasering without death does not make the news... If a cop shoots someone, it makes the news even if the person is only slightly wounded. The only time you hear about them being tased though is if they end up dead due to it...

Being a cop sounds like the biggest suckwad job in the known universe. You are dealing with either victims, who are upset that they have been victimized, or those who victimized them, who don't want to see a cop because they'll go to jail. Not to mention that criminals are among the most pathetic and unpleasant parts of our society. I've watched cop shows only a couple times, but I was struck by the fact that the LEOs spent the whole time dealing with drunken idiots I would have just as soon shot to clear out the gene pool. The only thing I can imagine being worse than a cop is being a cop in Alaska. So when the Alaska cop says he thinks Tazers are the best thing since sliced kilbasa, I tend to believe him. I have no doubt that they will be abused by some, but I strongly suspect they will be a far greater boon than bane.

Well, not everyone tasered is killed, just like not everyone that is shot is killed... In Houston, if you go by what you see in the newspaper, the odds appear to be greater for you to be killed if you are tasered than if you are shot... I'm not sure if that is due to the aim of the cops or just that tasering without death does not make the news... If a cop shoots someone, it makes the news even if the person is only slightly wounded. The only time you hear about them being tased though is if they end up dead due to it...

Bingo, plus many more people are tasered than shot.

You never hear/heard about suspects being batoned unless they died or it was inserted somewhere inappropriate, either :crazy: Except for the Rodney King example. If only they had been issued TASERS ;)

I've been around just long enough to see an evolution. When I started we were issued mace (ugh), then PR-24s, then expandable metal batons, then oleo capsicum spray, then TASERs. What hasn't changed is that some people have heart conditions, some people are in excited delirium, and that positioning a handcuffed suspect incorrectly could result in them suffocating (especially if they are barrel chested or obese.)

IOW the TASER is just another trigger to the above unfortunate fatal possibilities but not so significantly more so that the positive attributes of its use compared to other tools is negated. IMO. Because in the end the tool still has to do its job of protecting the officer or bystander.

The only thing I can imagine being worse than a cop is being a cop in Alaska. So when the Alaska cop says he thinks Tazers are the best thing since sliced kilbasa, I tend to believe him. I have no doubt that they will be abused by some, but I strongly suspect they will be a far greater boon than bane.

Well they DO have some disadvantages. They don't penetrate thick winter coats very well :ihih:

Being a cop sounds like the biggest suckwad job in the known universe.

X2. And its become a lot worse. My grandad was a Philly cop for 40 years. He NEVER had to draw his revolver. There was much more respect for LEO's back then.

I have a c-note saying that trips to the ER by both officers and suspects after arrest went down by 33% or more since they were introduced.

But that doesn't sell newspapers.

Thats pretty much the case here in houston. Officer and suspect injuries way down. Instead of having to fight to control a noncompliant subject, you taze them until they stop fighting you. Police Worker's comp costs plummeted after the introduction.

The folks who died after being tazed are pretty much the same ones who would have died after a prolonged struggle.. folks who dont know when to stop resisting/fighting and their body exceeds its energy/oxygen supply.

Someone had a video posted a while back somewhere of a 70 something year old granny getting tazed... with the goal of fishing for sanctimonious outrage..

Truth was.. the lady was ticketed. She refused to sign her ticket. The signature is a promise to appear in court regarding the charge. A signature bond, essentially, releasing you on your own recognizance.

If you refuse to sign the ticket, you are refusing to promise to appear in court, so now you have to be apprehended and taken to jail until your court date or until you plead guilty or bond out/promise to appear.

Granny refuses to sign. Gets the red ass and refuses/resists apprehension. And granny gets lit up in the process of being arrested. Why should an officer have to resort to wrestling with anyone if they dont have to?

Being a cop sounds like the biggest suckwad job in the known universe. You are dealing with either victims, who are upset that they have been victimized, or those who victimized them, who don't want to see a cop because they'll go to jail. Not to mention that criminals are among the most pathetic and unpleasant parts of our society. I've watched cop shows only a couple times, but I was struck by the fact that the LEOs spent the whole time dealing with drunken idiots I would have just as soon shot to clear out the gene pool. The only thing I can imagine being worse than a cop is being a cop in Alaska. So when the Alaska cop says he thinks Tazers are the best thing since sliced kilbasa, I tend to believe him. I have no doubt that they will be abused by some, but I strongly suspect they will be a far greater boon than bane.

That's pretty much where I come out on it too. Yeah, there are some bad cops, but in general, these poor sob's have no idea if their traffic stop is some unwitting soccer mom or druggie with an itchy trigger finger. I'd err on the side of shoot first too. Tazer seems like the better option in that case.

Why should an officer have to resort to wrestling with anyone if they dont have to?

And what officer is so wimpy that he can't handle a 70 year old lady, but instead has to resort to tasing her? Hell, all he probably needed to do was look at her wrong and she would have broken her hip (you know how fragile those old lady bones are after they quit producing estrogen)...

And what officer is so wimpy that he can't handle a 70 year old lady, but instead has to resort to tasing her? Hell, all he probably needed to do was look at her wrong and she would have broken her hip (you know how fragile those old lady bones are after they quit producing estrogen)...

If you accept the premise that she needed to go to jail and she wasn't going to be talked into it, it might have been safer for HER. Maybe.

And what officer is so wimpy that he can't handle a 70 year old lady, but instead has to resort to tasing her?

Unfortunately, the act of restraining her might well have done more damage than the taser, as belligerent as she was. She also seemed hell-bent on having this confrontation right on the road's edge, with the traffic whizzing past (looks like everybody was doing 60+, actually). No, here the taser was the best of a lot of poor options.

Here in Seattle they do ticket for jaywalking. A lot. Recently two young women resited a cop over a jaywalking incident. One young lady put her hands on the officer and was Punched. (rightfully I think and the inquest thought so to). so the Idea of being tazered for jaywalking is no joke in Seattle. I guess seeing a small child hit while jaywalking may have traumaitzed me. I taught my kids & grand kids to use crosswalks (except in slower residential areas). Crosswalk right of way enforcement is enforced rigorously. If someone puts a toe in the crosswalk you had better stop your car. They write a big ticket for that to. Dave

Here in Seattle they do ticket for jaywalking. A lot. Recently two young women resited a cop over a jaywalking incident. One young lady put her hands on the officer and was Punched. (rightfully I think and the inquest thought so to). so the Idea of being tazered for jaywalking is no joke in Seattle. I guess seeing a small child hit while jaywalking may have traumaitzed me. I taught my kids & grand kids to use crosswalks (except in slower residential areas). Crosswalk right of way enforcement is enforced rigorously. If someone puts a toe in the crosswalk you had better stop your car. They write a big ticket for that to. Dave

I used to work in downtown Houston and at least there, it is safer to cross in the middle of the block than at the intersections. At the intersections, you have the people turning and they are watching for cars. In the middle of the blocks, you only have people coming towards you in one direction and you have whatever time it takes for them to accelerate. Might not have been legal, but it was definitely safer in my opinion.

I'll tell you, it's HARD to control someone who's actively resisting when you have the goals of controlling them without hurting them. BTDT, got the scars to show it.

Whens the last time you've had to physically control someone who didn't want to submit? WITHOUT hurting them. and WITHOUT assaulting them?

Back