Chicago area TFR's or Prohibited area if Obama is elected?

They had a report on channel 2 that, amazingly, got it right, except...

They talked to A&M at Schaumburg about lost revenue. They had 14 Valentines copter air tours cancelled and lost some maintenance business.

...except they said the FAA was looking into the problem. I think I could hear the laughter from C90.

In agreement. Wrote an angry letter the day they demolished Meigs and haven't been back since. I probably won't go back there ever, although I might reconsider it if the denizens of the windy city recover from their collective somnambulence and ditch "da Mayor".

...except they said the FAA was looking into the problem. I think I could hear the laughter from C90.

I just head on NewsRadio that the SS will be evaluating whether the TFR should be changed.

Look for the TFR to get bigger. :mad3:

I just head on NewsRadio that the SS will be evaluating whether the TFR should be changed.

Look for the TFR to get bigger. :mad3:

Nah I bet it's because C90 didn't want to give up THEIR airspace to the Secret Service :rofl:

Well, whatd'ya know.

President Obama created a helipad near Meigs.

Obama waved to onlookers as he disembarked Air Force One and walked across the tarmac at O'Hare International Airport. ...

Bundled up against a cold Chicago wind, the first lady and the girls smiled as they climbed aboard Marine One, the large presidential helicopter that whisked the family to the South Side and spared authorities the headache of closing the Kennedy Expressway during rush hour. ...

After a 15-minute helicopter ride to Daniel Burnham Park on the South Side, the Obamas took a police motorcade to their Georgian mansion in nearby Kenwood. The family is expected to spend three days in the city before returning to the White House on Monday, Presidents' Day.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-obama-in-chicago-14feb15,0,2929738.story

This President (and his Chicagoan staff) were savvy enough to avoid torquing off Chicago area drivers on Friday afternoon, which already has the worst and longest rush hours.

Now if we just get them to stop torquing off Chicago area pilots.

Well, whatd'ya know.

President Obama created a helipad near Meigs.

This President (and his Chicagoan staff) were savvy enough to avoid torquing off Chicago area drivers on Friday afternoon, which already has the worst and longest rush hours.

Maybe if the local pilots would offer to be especially vigilant for suspicious activity around their airports whenever Obama is in the area in return for less disruptive aircraft restrictions that idea could be sold to the President and his SS detail. The SS could provide a hotline only for reporting any suspicious aviation activities that would be directed to someone on the detail that has some understanding of GA and might actually be capable of responding appropriately. If the SS folks are as smart as I would expect them to be, they ought to realize that having many airport users paying attention to whatever's going on at their airfield (or even a terrorist's expectation of that) would enhance the president's security from an airborne GA attack far better than a stupid TFR could ever do.

I would really, really love to comment on this, but I'm totally unable to come up with anything that reflects the flavor of my thinking that wouldn't immediately get me banished to the Spin Zone.

If you fly VFR toward Chicago, be very, very familiar with the NOTAM and protected airspace.

Anybody (LiveATC?) capture the ATC traffic?

Let's see who got an answer, much less clearance.

They answered me today. :-D. Things actually went pretty smoothly, its just a pain in the neck to call in a VFR flight plan and then call in another number to get the squawk code. Takes like 10-15 minutes, and then you have to talk to departure in the air, not as much chilling.

They answered me today. :-D. Things actually went pretty smoothly, its just a pain in the neck to call in a VFR flight plan and then call in another number to get the squawk code. Takes like 10-15 minutes, and then you have to talk to departure in the air, not as much chilling.
Thanks for the PIREP. Did you get the squawk from AFSS or the Clearance Delivery phone number?

When I filed the flight plan, they gave me a separate number to get the squawk code (1-888-766-8267).

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your question, I'm a student pilot

When I filed the flight plan, they gave me a separate number to get the squawk code (1-888-766-8267).

Nope, that answers the question. That is the nationwide clearance delivery phone number. It is "normally" used for picking up an IFR clearance at a non-towered airport where you won't have radio contact with ATC on the ground, but need a clearance before departure, such as when the weather is below VFR minimums.

In some ways, it's good that you're getting this kind of experience as a student pilot. In others, it's horrible that you should even need to.:mad3:

I'm sure he wasn't receiving flight training inside the area of the TFR, or he would be in violation. Now stop asking silly questions! :):nono:

Oppsies:rolleyes::eek::D Don't answer that question Wobby...

I actually was thinking about this the other day. Ron, et al., From an inspectors point of view, would a student who is flying in the outer ring of a TFR that specifies "flight training prohibited" with a CFI who has signed their logbook over a period of time for dual given, ever be considered not flight training?

A tanget...Would a PP checkride be considered "flight training" as mentioned above? Just curious...

Thanks,

Brent

Thanks for letting us know! :yes: What airport did you fly out of, what direction did you go, and what ATC facilities did you talk to? Oh, and what time of day? I'm amazed but glad that it worked for you! :goofy:

Ahhh... I see - thanks for posting that info, I think I'm 100% on what to do next time the POTUS is in town.

--Brent

It was between 11AM - 2PM between KPWK, 10C, and 3CK

Good on ya to pull that off successfully. :thumbsup:

I'm ~10 years post-PPL and I'd be nervous following the procedure. I guess we're all going to get good at it now. :nonod:

Haven't been to Chicago since they bulldozed Meigs. I don't care if there is a permanent TFR over the place, I'm not going anyway. They can keep Da Bares.

Problem with that Anthony is we don't want our pilot friends in the Chicago area to get the shaft. Don't confuse the place with the gov't!

Perhaps since Chicago area is so populated and thus presumably more populated with Private Pilots than Crawford Tx AOPA will have to be more agressive in trying to find a reasonable solution.

No way. Not 30nm.
10C and 3CK were to outside of the ring!
9-4975.gif

PWK was not and that was my question. Is that what you meant?

So, Palwaukee Tower handed you to Chicago departure? Did they let you up into the Bravo as well? Did they cut you loose as soon as you were out of the Bravo and the TFR? Did you have to file and open a separate flight plan for the return flight into PWK?

Thanks for answering all these questions! :yes: Maybe C90 got a kick in the behind to answer us little guys when the pres is around. :dunno:

So, Palwaukee Tower handed you to Chicago departure? Did they let you up into the Bravo as well? Did they cut you loose as soon as you were out of the Bravo and the TFR? Did you have to file and open a separate flight plan for the return flight into PWK?

Thanks for answering all these questions! :yes: Maybe C90 got a kick in the behind to answer us little guys when the pres is around. :dunno:

Yes on our way out of KPWK, tower handed us off, we were told to stay clear of bravo. Once clear of the TFR they cut us loose. On our way back to kpwk, we called approach on the frequency they gave us when we got our squawk code once we were airborne and before we entered the TFR. Basically he told us we were radar contact, and then handed us off to tower when we were close enough. Not too many words exchanged.

Last edited:
Yes on our way out of KPWK, tower handed us off, we were told to stay clear of bravo. Once clear of the TFR they cut us loose. One our way back to kpwk, we called approach on the frequency they gave us when we got our squawk code once we were airborne and before we entered the TFR. Basically he told us we were radar contact, and then handed us off to tower when we were close enough. Not too many words exchanged.

WE?? :yikes:

His CFI friend, who was acting PIC for the flight and not providing training while in the TFR.

I was talking to another CFI friend of mine who said this is similar to the post-9/11 ADIZ/TFR. That's how they did it then.

Back