Chicago Approach Take Note!!

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
THIS is how it is supposed to be done:

I arrived at 4A7 (Tara Field) which is adjacent to Atlanta Motor Speedway today, for "cheap" fuel. It's $3.50 self serve, which is cheaper than my home field, so that's not too bad. After fueling up, I needed to head over to RYY which flying from Tara takes me right over Hartsfield. Yesterday I had called Atlanta Approach on the phone and asked about the possibility of getting that route, and he basically said, call up and see how it goes. He had no idea what may be going on at that, and there is really no good time (that is less busy) to ask for that, but they will see what they can do. So...

I climb off Tara field and call up Atlanta Approach. Ok Ed, make the call concise and clear.

"Atlanta Approach Cherokee 2-2-1-2-R"
"Cherokee 2-2-1-2-R, Atlanta Approach go ahead."

(Note: They actually answered me!)

"Cherokee 2-2-1-2-R over Tara field at two thousand one hundred, request VFR Bravo transition over Hartsfield to Cobb County (McCollum)"
"Cherokee 2-2-1-2-R squawk 0-1-7-4"
"0-1-7-4, 2-2-1-2-R"
"2-2-1-2-R, radar contact over Tara, climb to five thousand five hundred expect vectors to McCollum via Atlanta"

(Note, I'm not a turbojet/121 and I'm actually allowed into the Bravo)

"five thousand five hundred expect vectors, 2-2-1-2-R"

So I circle upwards over Tara, because the floor of the Bravo is 8000 there, but 3500 just to the north. I get to about 4900 and I hear:

"2-2-1-2-R, fly direct Atlanta maintain VFR at five thousand five hundred"
"VFR five thousand five hundred direct Atlanta verify cleared into the Bravo"

Chicago jackholes take notice of the response

"Roger 2-2-1-2-R cleared into the Bravo airspace maintain VFR"

See how that is done? Professional.

"Cleared into the Bravo VFR 2-2-1-2-R."

From there I got a 360 vector right over the east end of all 4 runways, traffic call out for a King Air, I heard the controller working non-Bravo traffic while keeping Bravo traffic separated. Meanwhile I look down, and there is a line of jets holding on the runway just south of the terminal, and jets at EVERY intersection waiting to taxi across that runway to the terminal - so I know they are busy. After crossing the approach end of all the runways I was given direct McCollum and handed off to tower.

I decided on Preferred Jet for my overnights while here in Atlanta, and they had me pull right up front, offered me help with luggage and gave me a free T-shirt once inside. And I'm not even burning Jet A.

Last edited:
And that's how we do it in the South!

Great post Ed. How did you like that quarry just off the airport property at RYY? :)

l I flew in/out of Peachtree City VFR a few weeks ago and ATL App/Dep was most accomodating.

Isn't KATL even busier than KORD?? lol..

Yeahbut, when we flew to Sun 'n Fun and refueled at Tara, ATL made us stay at 2200(?) to stay below the Class B. They weren't so nice then.

mikea said:
Yeahbut, when we flew to Sun 'n Fun and refueled at Tara, ATL made us stay at 2200(?) to stay below the Class B. They weren't so nice then.

Maybe it is because they thought you were shortening your call sign on initial call up? :)

Steve, yeah, the quarry. Whoa, made for some interesting windage.

Steve said:
Isn't KATL even busier than KORD?? lol..

Countdown to someone from C90 (i won't mention names...ahem) coming in and blasting both Ed and you for expecting service to GA. 3....2....1....

mikea said:

THey knew you were from Chicago and wanted you to feel at home?

wsuffa said:
They knew you were from Chicago and wanted you to feel at home?
Wasn't the same. ATL talked to us to tell us to get lost.

I had flight following on the way down to Gastons...right till they handed us off to Chicago Center....

"we don't see you on radar...flight following cancelled...frequency changed approved. squawk vfr"

supposedly that was due to a "radar outage" ahead, they wouldnt pick us up at our altitude.

Ed you've had decent luck with other Bravo's haven't ya. Philly gave you the best service I'v seen them give and didn't you go through STL? Is it just Chicago?

tonycondon said:
supposedly that was due to a "radar outage" ahead, they wouldnt pick us up at our altitude.
LOL ROTFLMAO...

Didn't you know that Chicago has the most advanced radar out there?

It actually separates IFR traffic from VFR traffic & Jet-A planes from 100LL planes... It takes the latter 2 & puts them on the special screen named the circular file screen.

Atlanta approach is my "home" TRACON. In my experience they are always friendly, will always answer you, and will almost always accomodate FF. Transition VFR through Bravo isn't quite so certain, but you won't be beaten up for at least asking.

As a bit of thread creep, on the way backfrom Gastons Bill J and I didn't have our CRM perfected and failed to switch frequencies on one hand off. I checked in with what I thought was the new Memphis Center controller and heard this..."Does this voice sound familiar?" OOPS. I muttered "Sorry" and quickly pushed the frequency change button.

Hate to be a "me too"... I've had nothing be excellent service from ATL Center. I wonder if the ATL and CLT controllers are a part of some group. They seem to provide the same high standard, professional and at times appropriately humourous and human.

On one of my first real approaches (IMC) in the CLT, the controller seemed to know I was new at the game and was extra patient with me giving me that little extra time to catch up to the plane.

STL was first class on my trip down to Gastons. The only funny thing was after I was handed off to the west sector controller I reported I was at 3700 (under the 4000 foot shelf.) Acknowleged.

I few minutes later the controller says "The altimeter setiing is 2n.nn. I see you at 3800. I said I was aiming for 3700 (and I was there) but I'd go to 3500. He said "Thanks." I figured they put other planes at the n500 altitudes so I stay away when I can - within 3000 feet of the ground.

The other thing is this is first time a Class B controller could talk to me when I do go under only 300 feet below. I always choose 2700 down the Chicago lakefront where it can be as low as 3000. Maybe they get intrusion alarms when you get that close. I would be talking to Meigs when they were there. When my altitude encoder went wacky years ago Meigs got a call from Chicago asking who I was and how high I was. They were seeing me as being in the flight levels.

I still have never been inside a Class Bravo while I was flying, but I've talked to plenty, even Chicago on a rare occasion.

Last edited:
Lance F said:
As a bit of thread creep, on the way backfrom Gastons Bill J and I didn't have our CRM perfected and failed to switch frequencies on one hand off. I checked in with what I thought was the new Memphis Center controller and heard this..."Does this voice sound familiar?" OOPS. I muttered "Sorry" and quickly pushed the frequency change button.

Sorry about that one, your co-pilot forgot to push the flip flop. That egg lands squarely on MY face :yes:

Back