Chicago airport recommendations

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
Planning a long weekend trip for the wife and I for our 18th anniversary to Chicago. We will stay down at the miracle mile area so was wondering what airports anyone would recommend?

Thinking executive, however not sure which would be closer to our final destination.

Midway would be close to downtown however Executive is much easier and really not that far from downtown.

There are airports in NW Indiana I.e Gary and others; exec isn't bad by very expensive; DUPAGE which is west.

I entertained Gary also, seems pretty reasonable but not sure really how far away it is from the downtown area.

Executive looks darn pricy! Not sure I want to mess with midway. More hassle then I want to deal with.

If I'm going downtown I use Midway. You're at an EL stop right there.

Yes there is an El stop. Don't know about facilities for GA at MDW. Chicago is trying to shoo GA away.

I go to YGG all the time. Really easy to get downtown. About 20 minutes on skyway. Gary Jet Center is a great FBO. Friendly people. I would highly recommend. I fly out of Exec. Really pricey....gas is about 2.25 more per gallon at Exec than at Gary. Now let's talk about tie down and other fees....

Last edited:
How is Midway for a GA pilot? I'd always gotten the impression it was generally to be avoided especially for someone low time and VFR like myself.

Also +1 on the train station.

Last edited:
I hear the El Stop at O'Hare is a little backed up right now

:-/
;-)

Never mind, I watched that video and saw what they charge you just to land and park at Midway. No thanks.

How is Midway for a GA pilot? I'd always gotten the impression it was generally to be avoided especially for someone low time and VFR like myself.

Also +1 on the train station.

When I first got my instrument rating (2000 or so), I would take advantage of dark and rainy Saturday nights by filing and flying to Midway and other local Chicago area airports. They didn't seem to mind that much.

The taxi diagram gets a little complicated though, so you have to be on top of it...

Other options with train service into the Loop include Waukegan (UGN) and Schuamburg (06C).

Schuamburg in particular will probably be your cheapest option.

Other options with train service into the Loop include Waukegan (UGN) and Schuamburg (06C).

Schuamburg in particular will probably be your cheapest option.

No IFR approaches to 06C though.

Same here.

Can you listen and do what ATC asks you to do? If you can you shouldn't have a problem.

Never mind, I watched that video and saw what they charge you just to land and park at Midway. No thanks.

Last I checked, you're going to have fees at pretty much all the airports around the area. Because of that, I'd pick the one that is the most convenient for what you're going to the city for. Last time I was in there the landing fee for a piston single at Midway was ~$7.50 and the ramp fees varied depending on which FBO you used. It's not cheap but it really isn't that outrageous either. I think I figured that it was cheaper to park a plane there than it would be to pay for parking a car at various places around the city while I'm there.

Gary.

FBO will drop you at the train station (5 minutes away). Train runs right into downtown.

Gary.

FBO will drop you at the train station (5 minutes away). Train runs right into downtown.

How long does it take to ride the train from the Gary airport to downtown Chicago?

Okie, are you planning to rent a car or use public transportation?

PWK and MDW are both very expensive. Hell, everything in the Chicago area seems to be... I agree that Schaumburg is one of the cheapest, but your ground transportation options there are very limited.

The only thing worth paying the Chicago premium for would be KCGX. :(

It is a little far west, but KDPA is easy-peasy to get in and out of. IFR approaches and no fees other than the over night $10 tie down. If you are getting a car it is really not a big deal at all.

How about Miegs? Oh wait, nevermind. :)
DPA or Schaumburg would be your best "suburbs type pricing" before you get into "metro type pricing" with Midway or Executive.

I dont know about Gary.

Okie, are you planning to rent a car or use public transportation?

PWK and MDW are both very expensive. Hell, everything in the Chicago area seems to be... I agree that Schaumburg is one of the cheapest, but your ground transportation options there are very limited.

The only thing worth paying the Chicago premium for would be KCGX. :(

I would really refer not to get a car. I only learned that the train ran from some of the airports while having lunch yesterday. I'm working on my IFR but don't have that ticket yet, this would make life easier for sure.

I learned in Class C and routinely fly out of a Class D airport which lies under the same Class C wso not to worried about traffic and such but if little less hectic option exists I would like to entertain it.
Thanks
Jon

MDW is the best albeit expensive for GA with easy access to public transport. Some have mentioned Schaumburg (06C). Nice airport, no IAP. You would shoot an IAP into DPA, cancel and then fly over to 06C. Also the train is near, but a little far for walking distance with luggage. Call to see if the FBO can drive you over. Another choice is 3CK. Has IAPs, plenty of parking, you can get rides to Metra in Crystal Lake and back, there is even taxi service if need be. I would avoid KPWK unless you burn Jet-A. There is plenty of piston there, but transients pay top dollar for the privilege.

Last choice is KRFD. The airport is super nice and GA friendly there is a cheap bus service from the commercial terminal to Chicago. It is about a 90 minute trip down the expressway.

Really for a Chicago downtown visit the best way is Amtrak or fly commercial into KORD. Chicago is a not an easy GA town to visit.

I would really refer not to get a car. I only learned that the train ran from some of the airports while having lunch yesterday. I'm working on my IFR but don't have that ticket yet, this would make life easier for sure.

I learned in Class C and routinely fly out of a Class D airport which lies under the same Class C wso not to worried about traffic and such but if little less hectic option exists I would like to entertain it.

KMDW is about as busy as it gets for a class C. I think you still need to get a ride to get to the el, but the FBO's are willing to do it. It'll cost ya to go there, though.

If you can get a ride to/from the train at 06C, that'd be the place to go. You won't be able to get a hangar there even in bad weather, but that's the main drawback.

Thanks
Jon

I did Atlantic at Midway. I had my wife and friends with me so landing at Gary would not be very impressive to them, although if I was going for several days that might be a better option pricewise. I bought 15 gallons of fuel in my Cessna 182, thus waiving the facility fee or parking charges. I did pay a $15 landing fee and a $7.50 security fee for an overnight stay--not too bad; I've certainly paid more elsewhere. I know the L station is nearby, but with four people we opted for a cab.

Same here.

Can you listen and do what ATC asks you to do? If you can you shouldn't have a problem.

Yeah I watched the video posted above, I think I could handle that. The part I thought looked the most difficult was when ground rattled off the long series of taxi instructions. I'd probably have to ask them to repeat or request progressive taxi.

That guy was obviously IFR, if I came in VFR on flight following I assume they'd just vector me around in a similar way to join their traffic flow before I even got into the class B?

Last I checked, you're going to have fees at pretty much all the airports around the area. Because of that, I'd pick the one that is the most convenient for what you're going to the city for. Last time I was in there the landing fee for a piston single at Midway was ~$7.50 and the ramp fees varied depending on which FBO you used. It's not cheap but it really isn't that outrageous either. I think I figured that it was cheaper to park a plane there than it would be to pay for parking a car at various places around the city while I'm there.

That may be true, it is Chicago after all. I've yet to pay for anything but gas at airports I've landed at. In my case I have friends or possibly wife's family in the area who I'd probably be there for and would pick me up. I was looking at some of the smaller fields like Bolingbrooks, Lewis University, or Lansing. All those and midway are pretty close to 30 minute drives for them from what I've been told.

MDW, most convenient, most expensive
ORD, depends on type aircraft and time of day, could be prohibitive
PWK, all the cost for less convenience
ARR, 10 minutes from interstate, 15 minutes from Metra, friendly staff and cheaper
DPA, a little pricier but nicer setup than ARR, also short drive from train, a little longer if you use a car
06C, no IAP's, not the easiest to travel to the city
1C5, nice little airport, GPS and VOR approach, not far from interstate
LOT, can be busy with aviation school traffic, but should be reasonable as well. Good area not too far from the interstate.
IGQ, yuck, Lansing? Really?
GYY, wear Kevlar. Do a touch and go. Park your plane at any other airport.

I would recommend MDW, DPA, ARR, 1C5, LOT in that order...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I watched the video posted above, I think I could handle that. The part I thought looked the most difficult was when ground rattled off the long series of taxi instructions. I'd probably have to ask them to repeat or request progressive taxi.

That guy was obviously IFR, if I came in VFR on flight following I assume they'd just vector me around in a similar way to join their traffic flow before I even got into the class B?

I've only been into Midway IFR, but when I've been in there I've always been vectored around and under the class B airspace. I imagine it would be similar for VFR arrivals.

I don't remember the taxi instructions being too bad but I could see it being a pain if you end up landing on the opposite side of the airport than where you're taxiing to. When in doubt just ask, I'm sure they would rather help you out than have you end up somewhere they don't want you. :)

GYY, wear Kevlar. Do a touch and go. Park your plane at any other airport.

Mark I have to disagree. For transparency here, I know Gary Jet Center and the owners really well. They are great people. To the OP, call Lynn there and explain the situation. She is an officer, and is one of the nicest people you could meet. PM me for details. Perhaps they could arrange to temporarily hangar your plane. They could probably arrange a rental car.

I would not go by train to Chicago. While convenient, could be risky. Have them arrange a car. Depending in time of day, it could be 20-25 minutes. I drive there frequently from northern burbs and it's 1-1:20.

Mark I have to disagree. For transparency here, I know Gary Jet Center and the owners really well. They are great people. To the OP, call Lynn there and explain the situation. She is an officer, and is one of the nicest people you could meet. PM me for details. Perhaps they could arrange to temporarily hangar your plane. They could probably arrange a rental car.

I would not go by train to Chicago. While convenient, could be risky. Have them arrange a car. Depending in time of day, it could be 20-25 minutes. I drive there frequently from northern burbs and it's 1-1:20.

Gary was my initial thought and I'm quite sure I would survive flying into midway. I think i will call your contact. It sure would be nice to have a hangar if weather were to turn south. Is that too far for taxi to downtown? I'm dying to eat at Shaws crab shack again!

How long does it take to ride the train from the Gary airport to downtown Chicago?

About an hour. Trains run every hour or so on weekdays, every two hours or so on weekends. Fare is $6 each way. It's a flag stop so you need to light a strobe to get the train to stop, and it only stays lit for 10 minutes or so.

http://www.nictd.com/

I agree, always been treated well at GYY. I've done the train into Chicago from there before, the stop is definitely in a sketchy area, but I've seen worse and never had any trouble. You can always time your ride from the FBO to the station so that you don't have to wait very long. Hell, they'd probably wait there with you of things aren't too busy. Wouldn't do it at night, though. Get a taxi if you want to play it safe (but expensive).

Gary was my initial thought and I'm quite sure I would survive flying into midway. I think i will call your contact. It sure would be nice to have a hangar if weather were to turn south. Is that too far for taxi to downtown? I'm dying to eat at Shaws crab shack again!

I really would rent a car. Taxis would b too much.

Aww, it was a joke. :)

I really would rent a car. Taxis would b too much.
I don't know, by the time you rent a car, pay to park somewhere in the city overnight (especially in the loop or on the Mag Mile), and buy gas, you might as well take a taxi. Of course, you might not be able to get a taxi back to Gary (seriously). Maybe car service from Gary to downtown and South Shore train back to GYY?

Last edited:
I don't know, by the time you rent a car, pay to park somewhere in the city overnight (especially in the loop or on the Mag Mile), and buy gas, you might as well take a taxi. Of course, you might not be able to get a taxi back to Gary (seriously). Maybe car service from Gary to downtown and South Shore train back to GYY?

By the time you rent a car, or have car service from GYY, you could have flown into MDW for less.

If you want to go cheap, go with GYY and the train.

If you want to go convienent, go with MDW and a taxi.

If you want to go convienent and cheaper, go with MDW and the El.

To the OP:

Just checked with Lynn at Gary Jet Center. They can do transient hangering for you, and said they can arrange a rental car from Enterprise or Hertz if you like.

However, she said the train from South Bend to Chicago which runs though Gary is really nice. The stop is right by the GYY airport, and they will take you there in their courtesy car and wait until the train arrives. It is on a set schedule. You would need to call them on your return.

Hope this helps.

Midway is expensive but not impossible if you're sharp and on your A-game, and has the advantage of the train right into the downtown. DuPage has always treated us well, but it's farther out without convenient public transportation.

Back