...are certainly the top three!

Close, Doc.

I would say:

Lou Malnati's
Pizzeria Due
Pizzeria Uno
Gino's East
Giordano's

Uno and Due are tourist pizza. Just FYI. It is sort of like when flatlanders go to Wisconsin and ask for a Johnsonville brat.

My list is:

Nancy's
Papa Dells (Champaign, IL)
Nick's (Crystal Lake: best darn thin crust)
Gino's East
and then a very local Romanesque's (only exists in my town)

I know, but it has turned into a real tourist trap. They even franchise and you see Uno's in the Portland airport. BLEH! airport pizza?? Go figure.
The franchise stuff is garbage. I haven't been to the real Uno's on Ohio St. in a couple decades. My go-to place if I'm downtown is Dues, on Ontario. That's old school, and the real deal. If I'm in Lincolnwood, River North, or a dozen other places, it's always Lou Malnatis. The original family restaurant is on Lincoln Ave in Lincolnwood.

Thanks. Now I'm freeking hungry and it's only 9:30. I'm thinking 1-800-Lou-ToGo.

The Uno here is decent, but the other local Chicago style place is horrid, it make Pizza Hut look like a world class pizza

The Uno here is decent, but the other local Chicago style place is horrid, it make Pizza Hut look like a world class pizza

A good rule of thumb is if a place is saying 'blank' style it is not really that style and probably stinks. That is why you do not eat at the American Steak House in London, the NY Deli in Beijing, the Paris Bistro in Orlando nor at the Chicago pizza place in Cincinnati.

estherville, ia and marfa, tx are still the pizza-kings in my book

I've never had good pizza in NYC. I haven't really gone looking for it either, but in a city that is supposed to be known for great pizza you shouldn't have to look too hard. I've had good pizza in Chicago. Frankly, we have good pizza here in Ames, IA and you don't have to have a secret map to find it.

Last edited:
I know, but it has turned into a real tourist trap. They even franchise and you see Uno's in the Portland airport. BLEH! airport pizza?? Go figure.

Actually, I think they sold the name "Uno's". The new joint says they are "inspired" by the original. Yeah, right!

Back