Chicago #1 Pizza town in the US

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Completely unbiased source!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/27/best-city-for-pizza-the-t_n_2776103.html#slide=2164301

Chicago is number 1!!!

NY does not even place in the top 2!
The article even mentions how NY pizza is a trivial experience, duplicated just about anywhere. Most likely because it requires no real talent to make I would imagine. Just slop some sauce and cheese on some dough, VOILA! NY PIZZA.

Brooklyn-based writer Jeff Turrentine tells Travel + Leisure:

“These days, you can find decent, or even excellent, New York–style pizza in almost any medium-sized to large city in America. But finding even passable Chicago-style pizza outside of Chicago—that still poses a challenge.”

However, Chicago style is a unique and superior experience, not easily found outside of the highly skilled artisan pizza chefs of the Windy City!

Last edited:
That's only because you can't get a large drink anymore in New York.

-Rich

Obviously this idiot writer assumes that most large cities are within 100 miles of NYC and he must not travel much. You cannot find a decent NYC pizza in most big cities.

You can find a lot of copy cats.

The reason there are not as many chicago copy cats is that there is not demand for chicago pizza much outside of "C".

Sorry.

I'd say this article suffers from GIGO.

When they reopen Meigs, I'll fly into Chicago and try one of their pies. Until that happens, I'll assume it's at crappy as the "Chicago" pizza they sell at Unos

It's food not an Olympic event. My passion is flying, not pepperoni.

Then again, Nebraska isn't known for good pizza. :dunno: :lol:

It's food not an Olympic event. My passion is flying, not pepperoni.

Then again, Nebraska isn't known for good pizza. :dunno: :lol:

Quite the opposite I'm fact, I believe godfather's world headquarters are in Omaha?

Quite the opposite I'm fact, I believe godfather's world headquarters are in Omaha?

Yea, :lol:

I was hoping no one knew that. :lol:

God father's is pretty good for chain pizza.

Okay, I admit it. I love pizza. :redface: But not more than flying! :nono:

Completely unbiased source!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/27/best-city-for-pizza-the-t_n_2776103.html#slide=2164301

Chicago is number 1!!!

NY does not even place in the top 2!
The article even mentions how NY pizza is a trivial experience, duplicated just about anywhere. Most likely because it requires no real talent to make I would imagine. Just slop some sauce and cheese on some dough, VOILA! NY PIZZA.

However, Chicago style is a unique and superior experience, not easily found outside of the highly skilled artisan pizza chefs of the Windy City!
I obviously agree completely with the conclusion, although I do have several concerns of the article:

1. I've only been to one of the 5 Chicago pizzerias listed, and haven't even heard of the other 4.

2. The picture is NOT of a Chicago pizza; it looks like one of those crappy "California Kitchen" types of pizza.

3. No one - NO ONE - in Chicago EVER calls it "a Slice", let alone giving it a title:

:nono: Save that for tha greasy, doughy folding thing that they do in NY.

Chicago pizza is something altogether different. All pizza establishments should be judged by their ability to make the ONLY classic pizza: Neapolitan.

I obviously agree completely with the conclusion, although I do have several concerns of the article:

1. I've only been to one of the 5 Chicago pizzerias listed, and haven't even heard of the other 4.

Yeah, I left Chicago 7 years ago, but Lou Malnati's is the only one I recognize. Lou's is the best I've ever had, but when I get desperate, I drive 18 miles out of my way for a Pizzeria Uno spinach and cheese...

Yeah, I left Chicago 7 years ago, but Lou Malnati's is the only one I recognize. Lou's is the best I've ever had, but when I get desperate, I drive 18 miles out of my way for a Pizzeria Uno spinach and cheese...

1-800 Lou-To-Go. I'm not kidding. That's the only way I got through living in Charlotte for 6 years. The stuff tastes almost as good as at the restaurant, and WAY better than that Uno franchise stuff.

You'll thank me for this. :D

http://www.tastesofchicago.com/cate.../-box&utm_source=loushome&utm_medium=Homepage

http://www.loumalnatis.com/

So what? You can only get Cincinnati style chili in Cincinnati. So?

The question isn't where you can get Chicago style pizza. It's whether Chicago style pizza is better than any others, which it isn't. The best pizzas on Earth are cooked in the kitchens of Steinholme.

Pizza in New Haven, "apizz" as it's known, is freakin' delicious. I have yet to try authentic Chicago style pizza.

I had pizza in NYC and it was pretty average. I actually wanted Sbarro's instead. We have what's known as "Big Slice" here in D.C. and it's really only acceptable after a six pack.

2. The picture is NOT of a Chicago pizza; it looks like one of those crappy "California Kitchen" types of pizza.

3. No one - NO ONE - in Chicago EVER calls it "a Slice", let alone giving it a title:

:nono: Save that for tha greasy, doughy folding thing that they do in NY.
I agree with all of that!!!

I too had only heard of 1/5 Chicago places as well. But thank Odin they did not list Uno's as one of the best!

My two favorite US based pizzas are located in:

Falls Church, VA (Orso) Wood fired pizza.
Hilton Head Island (Paulie's) Coal fired pizza.

I don't usually get pizza in NYC so I can't say for sure. If someone would like to give me a specific location to try I will get right on it.

I do not like Uno's pizza (chain).

Chicago Pizza is dough with soup added and cooked til it evaporates - that is NOT pizza.

Pizza is thin crust, with cheese, some sauce [none of this real tomato stuff] and then perhaps some meat or peppers and onions added - period.

This can only be found at certain locations - New Haven, Connecticut and Astoria, Queens, NY.

'Deep Dish' is an effort at covering for the lack of skill with volume. If it is not coal fired there is zero reason to eat it.

Chicago Pizza is dough with soup added and cooked til it evaporates - that is NOT pizza.

Pizza is thin crust, with cheese, some sauce [none of this real tomato stuff] and then perhaps some meat or peppers and onions added - period.

This can only be found at certain locations - New Haven, Connecticut and Astoria, Queens, NY.

'Deep Dish' is an effort at covering for the lack of skill with volume. If it is not coal fired there is zero reason to eat it.

The BEST pizza is a Large Hotdog pizza, smothered with Ketchup.. MMMMMM..;)

That is also not Chicago pizza. Nice try, but stop buying your pizza at the Hut. ;)

never had one from the hut, or dominos - at not since college - and that was joint called Doctor Munchies - who sold extras with the pizzas.

I like both kinds, prefer a good deep-dish (hesitate to insult the pizza by asociating the word, "Chicago" with it, but whatever), but have to say that while I have seriously enjoyed some pizza in Chicago, none of it could top that from Conan's in Austin, which is so good it brings tears of joyous remembrance to my eyes.

Chicago pizza is something altogether different. All pizza establishments should be judged by their ability to make the ONLY classic pizza: Neapolitan.

The best I've had was in Naples. I live near NY, so I have to eat NY style. I'm used to it now. :dunno:

Nah. that was copied from the Chicago Pizza and Over Grinder Co, which has been there for 30 years.

Also missing is Lobo Style pizza in ABQ. Flawed survey

Seeing that the article is from the ChigagoTribune,, I give it a .0000000528 % chance of being accurate or believable..:no::confused:

The data is clearly marked in the article from Travel + Liesure

http://www.travelandleisure.com/

And you can read the article on their site: http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-best-cities-for-pizza

So nice try, but the fact is that this magazine, which is focused on finding the best around the world states that Chicago is the US' pizza capital.

Back