Cherokee Six starting

crash7

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Crash7
Background: The flying club I belong to just acquired a 1966 Cherokee Six (PA32-260) that I used to be in a 3 person partnership in a few years ago. So, I'd like to think I know the airplane fairly well.

It has the push-button starter instead of the turn-the-key starter. We were told to put mag switch on (L)eft when starting since that's where the impulse coupler lives. Fine. We spent years starting the plan with Pump on, 2-4 shots of primer (not throttle, but primer) depending on temps and crank. When engine starts, mags to BOTH. Fine.

It had an Annual a couple months ago and AD 99-04-04 was performed on the left mag. Ever since the thing has a hard time (if at all) starting on the Left mag. Starts marginally better on Both.

Actually couldn't get it started a couple days ago. Mechanic thinks I flooded it. Next day he looked at plugs. Fine. Tested harness. Fine. Cleaned caps. Fine. He started it with no pump, one shot of prime and mags on Both. I did the same today and it started.

Finally question: Could something have gotten out of whack when AD 99-04-04 was performed? Since then, I've been in it half a dozen times and only ONCE did it actually start on the Left mag.

The joys of plane sorta-ownership...

Sounds like a new starting procedure for you is in order .

mine took 4-5 prime shots....and 6-7 when temps were really cold.

Sounds like a new starting procedure for you is in order .

I'm willing to start it however it wants. Odd that it suddenly changes right after maintenance touched it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AD 99-04-04 is specifically an AD on the impulse coupler. From the description being given, it sounds like your impulse coupler isn't doing its job. I'd be taking another look at it...

AD 99-04-04 is specifically an AD on the impulse coupler. From the description being given, it sounds like your impulse coupler isn't doing its job. I'd be taking another look at it...
Yup...as a non-mechanic, I’d be asking someone to re-do that AD. Probably not the same mechanic who did it the first time.

If you know how to safely pull the prop thru . Switch off !! Very slowly pull it thru a compression cycle on two or three cyl. the impulse had a distinctive sound . You should be able to hear it snap .

If you know how to safely pull the prop thru . Switch off !! Very slowly pull it thru a compression cycle on two or three cyl. the impulse had a distinctive sound . You should be able to hear it snap .

The day I couldn't start it, the mechanic did pull the prop thru a couple times and you could hear the clicking. I was on the phone working out a ride back home, so I didn't get to ask a bunch of questions right then.
I'm working on getting our maintenance officers to have it looked at again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back