Cherokee IPad Mini Yoke mount

BarryCooper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BarryCooper
Cherokee drivers who have an IPad mini yoke-mounted:

Where is your preferred mounting position? I wanted the Mini set up in the middle of the left yoke, but I have tried every which-way....bracket over the top and its higher than I would like (blocks the DG); underneath and its angled into my belly button making it hard to see; through the side the arm needs about another inch of length to allow me to angle it properly (do they make an extension?). I mounted it on the right yoke and it would be perfect except the weight of the Mini causes a constant left aileron pull.

Thanks.

I have one of those "X" mounts, and it clamps right over the center of the yoke from the top without blocking any instruments on a Warrior. On a 172, it has to be as far to the right as it will go or it blocks the tach.

There are several different yoke mounts.

I use the RAM "X" mount over the top of the center of the yoke on our Cherokee 180 and it's in the perfect spot for me.

Cherokee drivers who have an IPad mini yoke-mounted:

Where is your preferred mounting position? I wanted the Mini set up in the middle of the left yoke, but I have tried every which-way....bracket over the top and its higher than I would like (blocks the DG); underneath and its angled into my belly button making it hard to see; through the side the arm needs about another inch of length to allow me to angle it properly (do they make an extension?). I mounted it on the right yoke and it would be perfect except the weight of the Mini causes a constant left aileron pull.

Thanks.
I'm doing through the side (using a full-size iPad). Yes, they make an extension. It's just a second socket arm and a two-headed ball.

Last edited:
I use the RAM Beech mount and tried having the iPad Mini go "over the top" of the yoke but it blocked too much.

I ended up send it through the middle of the yoke and it worked well. It does block the labels on the autopilot switches on the yoke but I know them by feel so not an issue.

I could not figure out how to post a pic of it so let me know if the installation I am describing makes sense.

I could not figure out how to post a pic of it so let me know if the installation I am describing makes sense.

If it works for you in terms of making the tablet easy to use and not blocking necessary instruments, it makes sense.

Especially with a full-size iPad, for the set-up I use, over the top blocked things, under the bottom was great for position but the weight of the iPad kept pulling the assembly down. Through the yoke seems to work well overall.

I mount a full ipad under the yoke, with a longer arm. The ball on the mount is near the bottom and the ipad goes up thru the 'horns' of the yoke.

Only blocks those pesky MP and RPM gauges. A quick look to the side confirms the fan is at correct speed.

When I mount a mini like this it doesn't really block anything.

I have a ram mount. Works great on my mooney. It does require me to look over it to see the panel switches, but I can see the gauges well.

not a great pic, but you can see the ipad mini in the bottom left.

edited for direction correction. :lol:

audio%20panel%20installed_zpsr5hdsiod.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the ram tablet holders fail because they put the ball in the center of the mount, which is right where the control wheel is. I bought a cheap pleather case for my tablet and one of the bolt on ball mounts, drilled holes in the case and bolted the ball on as close to the bottom as possible. Use a ram clamp and arm to grab the control shaft from underneath the wheel puts the tablet nice and centered and low enough to not block anything on the panel. Also cost about $30 less than any of the ram holders and fits the tablet perfectly without adding to its size

Last edited:
I have a ram mount. Works great on my mooney. It does require me to look over it to see the panel switches, but I can see the gauges well.

not a great pic, but you can see the ipad mini in the bottom right.

audio%20panel%20installed_zpsr5hdsiod.jpg

your other right ...

I have a ram mount and I attach it under the yoke. Works perfect for my mini in my Cherokee. I mount it to where the yoke clamp adjustment is on the left side, that puts it under the yoke and the mount centers up nicely in between the handles.

Back