cherokee approach speeds?

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
I bought a pa32 with a hershey wing, what are good approach speeds to aim for at IAF/FAF etc? Would like to aim for something consistent and stable and not too far behind this bricks power curve.

I use 90 kt (105 mph) in my Grumman. It's fast enough that you may not gum up the works at a busy airport, but slower than cruise, and it is a speed that is on the timing table for non-precision approaches. All my IFR "numbers" for level flight or standard descent rates are based on 90 kt IAS as the benchmark.

I bought a pa32 with a hershey wing, what are good approach speeds to aim for at IAF/FAF etc? Would like to aim for something consistent and stable and not too far behind this bricks power curve.
You don't say which model of PA-32, but I don't think it matters much. At slower approach speeds, the long nose can get in the way of visibility. But that's helped by putting in the first notch of flaps. So I liked to fly with one notch of flaps at something reasonable for traffic - maybe 105 or something like that.

90-105 KTS will cover most any piston single from a PA28 or 172 to an Ovation, Bonanza or Cirrus. Like @RussR, I'd be thinking 105 in a PA32.

My dad just got his IFR rating in a PA32 (Cherokee 6, not Saratoga) and uses 1 notch of flaps, 100 kts.

Don’t be afraid to ask the previous owner some questions too, I’ve found they’ve usually been more than helpful.

Don’t be afraid to ask the previous owner some questions too, I’ve found they’ve usually been more than helpful.
He didn’t fly IFR, vfr only. It has a 430 and new indicator but he only installed it for the TruTrak

This flies like a dump truck compared to my other bird. I’ll try a notch of flaps and 100kt and see how it goes.

Last edited:
You don't say which model of PA-32, but I don't think it matters much. At slower approach speeds, the long nose can get in the way of visibility. But that's helped by putting in the first notch of flaps. So I liked to fly with one notch of flaps at something reasonable for traffic - maybe 105 or something like that.

@alaskan9974 seems to have missed your question, but I think the answer here is Cherokee 6, not Lance. Saratoga/6X is knocked out by the hershey-bar attribute.

I think a better question to ask is what power setting and configuration to use. In most airplanes I fly, I do a test to find the power setting that will produce about 5 knots below the white arc with 20-deg flaps and 500 fpm descent. I set that power on glideslope intercept, and not worry too much about the exact airspeed after that. I believe Vfe in a PA32 is 110 knots, so find the power for 105 knots. Whether you should slow down at IAF or not is up to you. For a student who is new to IFR, I teach them to set the power that will slow us down to Vfe at IAF, and extend 10-deg flaps. But someone more proficient could fly at near cruise speed until FAF.

My experience in a Hershey Bar PA28 is definitely that airing on the side of higher speed was a good thing - and keeping power in until very close to the ground like a twin actually makes a huge difference in yoru landings. When I was flying a hershey bar Arrow, I found that it wouldn't mind doing the approach at 90-95, gear down and one notch of flaps. Add 5-10 to that for the PA32's length and weight and I think you're good.

I use 90 kt (105 mph) in my Grumman. It's fast enough that you may not gum up the works at a busy airport, but slower than cruise, and it is a speed that is on the timing table for non-precision approaches. All my IFR "numbers" for level flight or standard descent rates are based on 90 kt IAS as the benchmark.

My Tiger isn't a big fan of under 100, unless I have flaps in. 1/3 flaps makes 90 pretty easy.

90-105 KTS will cover most any piston single from a PA28 or 172 to an Ovation, Bonanza or Cirrus. Like @RussR, I'd be thinking 105 in a PA32.

My Bonanza basically hates anything under 115 or so with the gear up. Once the gear goes down, 100-105 is about right. Flaps definitely make getting slower better, but I refuse to go under 90 until I'm on a straight in final, with full flaps.

I flew approaches in my fixed gear six at 120kt IAS. No flaps. Keeps up with big boy traffic and airplane is much more stable than at 100kt (tends to wallow at low speeds). You can pull power to idle at minimums, throw in full flaps once it slows and still make the numbers. The six glides like a manhole cover so full flaps and no power and its an elevator ride down. A slightly slower strategy for really low minimums would be 110kt IAS, again no flaps, and at minimums add flaps and reduce power as needed to make the numbers. You'll still likely need a bit of power to get there with this. Both of these are far more stable in the hershey bar pa32 wing than the suggested 100kt IAS. (retractable lance is different due to gear extension speed limitations)

Back