Cherokee 140 to Archer

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
Has anyone transitioned from a 140 to an Archer? Is a differerent type rating or endorsement necessary for insurance purposes?

nope, easy peasy transition. you will like the extra room/power/speed even though it's just a lil bit more of each.

Assuming you're buying, the only difference should be due to the change in hull value.

Otherwise it's all the same. When I was training I flew only PA28s. 140, Warrior, Archer are the same for all intensive purposes.

[That last bit was a joke, it's "all intended purposes." Even I know that!]

Pretty much what @eman1200 said. Same same as far as the (most, anyway) insurance company is concerned. Transitioning from say a 172 or PA 140 to an Arrow on the other hand is a little bit different, and the insurance companies generally want you to have some minimum amount of dual time in type, plus a minimum time with retracts.

There are some differences, and if you are current and competent in a 140, the transition training will be short.

Just have to get used to the wings on the archer,should be an easy transition.

Just have to get used to the wings on the archer,should be an easy transition.

Hershey vs Tapered. I wonder if there are any PoA threads about THAT!

[That there was a joke, if you didn't know]

Going from the Hershey bar wing to the taper wing will cause some slight differences, such as when you pull that first notch of flaps on the taper wing, you gain some lift, so you will need to adjust your speeds a little and the taper wing floats a little more over the threshold. Overall, the transition is not a big deal. A couple of laps around the pattern will get it done.

Assuming you're buying, the only difference should be due to the change in hull value.

Otherwise it's all the same. When I was training I flew only PA28s. 140, Warrior, Archer are the same for all intensive purposes.

[That last bit was a joke, it's "all intended purposes." Even I know that!]

I've always heard "for all intents and purposes".

Has anyone transitioned from a 140 to an Archer? Is a differerent type rating or endorsement necessary for insurance purposes?

Don’t listen to these guys. The difficulty is beyond human ability. No one has ever successfully earned a type rating in an Archer. If you don’t believe me, call the FAA, they will confirm.

Back