Checkrides : Verbose or Not?

Also don't correct the DPE multiple times or at all.

I made that mistake and had a can of whoop a$$ opened up on me. :mad2:

HAHA I got to correct mine...he made me pull up the FAR to prove he was wrong. Even got a, "...it's not often I learn something new on a PPL checkride...".

It had to do with owner maintenance/airplane logbook stuff and he never owned an airplane...

#1 rule for checkrides.

KISS

It's tempting to show your @$$ when you think you've got a topic down pat...but don't do it. Just answer the question and move on. Their job is to push you to your limits on various topics and they will if you are nailing your oral. My DPE asked me a weather question (it was about 5 layers deep after the initial question) and my reply was, "...the weather guy on KXAN couldn't answer that question, I guarantee you.". I got a chuckle and he says, "Yeah, you wouldn't know that...". I wasn't sure if it was even a real question or not - kinda silly really. But my DPE was kinda of @$$.

The main thing is - if you don't know the answer don't BS. Just say you don't know but you know where to find it in the FAR/AIM or some other reference material that you might have handy.

Back