Checkride

captainjay

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
El_Capitan
Okay so here is the problem. I am currently at a flight school and basically need to take the checkride now. But the weather is bad and might stay bad. I will be moving and was wondering if I could take the checkride at my new place. Only problem is that the new place has an older c172. Not the G1000. Will it be hard to take the test how many hours do you think I would need to work on with a new instructor before taking the checkride at the new place?

Hard to know because your new CFI will have to check all your flying skills and you have to learn steam gauges (which I think is easier) but if I had to guess I would probably say 10-15 hours. The first 5 or so CFI and you getting acquainted and learning each other and another 5 or so getting checkride ready. I threw the other 5 in there as a safety margin.

You sure you can't stay to get'er done where you are? It'd be alot cheaper.

Are we talking PP-ASEL or instrument ride? The answer will differ considerably.

For PP, if you are really ready now in the G1000 plane, I'm thinking about five hours with that new instructor to get signed off again. Expect another five hours of ground training going over the new plane and practicing for the oral portion.

For Instrument, it could be ten hours or more, depending on how deeply your G1000 instructor delved into degraded states with the G1000 -- partial panel will be the biggest issue, but situational awareness may also be an issue. If all you ever did was dim the PFD and hit the red button for reversion mode on the MFD, it's going to take a lot longer than if you practiced a lot with the AHRS out. Likewise, expect 5-10 hours of ground training on the aircraft, avionics, partial panel, and oral test prep.

Has the school already endorsed you? If so just get with an instructor at your new place to get up to speed with whatever DPE you will be using. If this is for a private ticket then I doubt it will be much different, BUT I have also never seen a g1000 in person either. If this is for instrument ride then I could see a few hours of transition. Good luck.

Has the school already endorsed you? If so just get with an instructor at your new place to get up to speed with whatever DPE you will be using.
Since the OP will be using a different model of 172, there is a change in the "aircraft to be used" block of the 8710-1, and that means a new 8710-1 and new signature from the new instructor.

Okay, so I haven't got signed off for my checkride yet but I have already had about 20 hours on the steam gauge plane that I will be flying when I moved. So it won't take too long to adjust.

Okay, so I haven't got signed off for my checkride yet but I have already had about 20 hours on the steam gauge plane that I will be flying when I moved. So it won't take too long to adjust.

I got my PASEL in the G1000 172. I now fly 95% in old fashioned dial planes. I prefer the dials to the "tape style" altimeters and airspeed indicators. For me checking the dials can be done just out of my pereferal vision. Its much easier to see the altimeter needle straigh down on a VFR flight or straight up on a IFR flight. This is just my opinion though.

are you flying a non fuel injected 172 now? if so, you have to get used to using the carb heat, no electric fuel pump, and slightly different starting procedures. i think the avionics will be the least of your worries. with your PPL you'll be looking outside most of the time

This shouldn't be a problem at all. I took my checkride in a plane from an FBO I'd never flown with before, got a 1.2hr checkout in their super-old 172 that handled very differently from the direct-inject models I'd been flying (not to mention the weird flap lever), and was off on my solo xc the next day to get to the DPE's airport.
Not sure why some of you are saying 10-15hrs (even if he does have to go to steam gauges).

Not sure why some of you are saying 10-15hrs (even if he does have to go to steam gauges).
I don't think anyone said that much other than for Instrument. There, my experience as an instrument instructor says 10 hours or more will be necessary.

Back