Checkride tougher than medical boards?

Mid-50s board certified surgeon sweating the checkride. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

I figure there a bunch of teenage punks that passed this thing, why can't I? Wondered how many of you out there that have been through other grueling paths to your careers felt a little anxious prior to your checkride? With my crazy work schedule this has been a 2 year process which hopefully will come to fruition this month with the ticket. Addicted to the whole thing--"another obsession" whines my wife--and she is probably correct. I have really loved the training. Has really been a journey and I've got to say much more challenging than I thought. However, what a great accomplishment for those of you that are pilots. And those that are IFR trained? I am not worthy.

Congrats to the teenage pilots, and I apologize for the "punks" comment. Truly am impressed with you all and hope to join the frat very soon.:goofy::goofy::goofy:

Love to hear from others who found the challenge a little more than anticipated!

OP, best of luck to you. I took the CPA exam 32 years ago, and it was much harder than my Private checkride, which I took at age 45, also taking almost 2 years to get it done. That being said, it was my proudest accomplishment, bar none.

My daughter just finished her veterinarian boards a couple months ago, and the stress was way more than a checkride.

That being said, the DPE saw that I was overly nervous (I didn't want to let my CFI down) and took about an hour to show me the custom turkey calls that he makes, which was really intended to just calm me down.

Please report back with the results!

Am I the only one that sees every single response so far as having misinterpreted a question about nerves as a question about skills?

There is no question that initial check rides play games with your head. I compared it unfavorably to my dissertation defense. Not because it's harder -- it isn't -- but because of how important it is to manage your nerves. It's much more like an audition than a "board," but even that analogy is a bit stretched.

I agree with MAKG1 on this one.

A smart and educated person chimes in with praise for pilots and humbly acknowledges the challenge of certification...confesses that he is anxious about the checkride. And a bunch of you jump all over this person, some accusing of being lazy. This person is prepared, excited, wants to heap some praise onto the GA community, shares his thoughts and welcomes comments. And many interpret this as weakness. Shessh.

And, for those who believed it, no way the checkride is tougher than the medical boards.

Welcome onboard, Jim! Glad to have you.

I agree with MAKG1 on this one.

A smart and educated person chimes in with praise for pilots and humbly acknowledges the challenge of certification...confesses that he is anxious about the checkride. And a bunch of you jump all over this person, some accusing of being lazy. This person is prepared, excited, wants to heap some praise onto the GA community, shares his thoughts and welcomes comments. And many interpret this as weakness. Shessh.

And, for those who believed it, no way the checkride is tougher than the medical boards.

Welcome onboard, Jim! Glad to have you.

Agreed completely. Well said. Guys like Jim are the reasons that we enjoy the Front Porch of Aviation.

Back