Checkride tomorow

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
It is the eve of my check ride (finally).

I took my oral on Monday but neither the schedule for me or my DPE fit doing a checkride the same day.

Then, yesterday when I was scheduled to fly there were a host of obstacles. Weather came in, presidential TFR over the airport my DPE works at and an airplane problem (or two). Just like that today, all of it is resolved and I'm good to fly tomorrow.

I've successfully done two mock checkrides and I'm 100% confident in my abilities, but I always question the abilities while being tested or watched. When its my CFI I can easily perform everything. There's part of me that just cant believe its finally going to happen so I question whether it actually will!

Wish me luck!

You'll do great gitmo, just breathe. Later this week you will have your ticket!

Have you seen some of the people on this board that have their certificates?...You'll do fine!

Congrats on the written,and good luck on the flight test.

You will do fine. Stick with what you know. Most check rides turn into another opportunity to learn something new from an experienced inspector.

You will do fine.

Good luck, you will do just fine!

Discontinued... AIRMET with moderate turbulence below 10k feet.

Winds aloft werent that but it was too rough to do maneuvers.

Based on my own skill level and experience I decided we would give a try for the cross country and a couple of landings (direct headwind), but no maneuvers.

Did the cross country but on my way back it was too risky so I made one landing and called it.

At that point even the CAP guys said it was intense and they were done for the day.

Because of my schedule it looks like I'll be taking my discontinuance to a DPE in colorado springs or Denver. I'm going on military orders out there for the next few months starting this weekend.

Discontinued... AIRMET with moderate turbulence below 10k feet.

Winds aloft werent that but it was too rough to do maneuvers.

Based on my own skill level and experience I decided we would give a try for the cross country and a couple of landings (direct headwind), but no maneuvers.

Did the cross country but on my way back it was too risky so I made one landing and called it.

At that point even the CAP guys said it was intense and they were done for the day.

Because of my schedule it looks like I'll be taking my discontinuance to a DPE in colorado springs or Denver. I'm going on military orders out there for the next few months starting this weekend.
Sounds like you made the right decision. Good luck on the rest of the ride.

Yup, moderate turbulence is distinctly un-fun.

You'll get good enough at it soon enough, but it's unpleasant and not a terribly good idea for a check ride.

Thanks! That's why we did the straight line (more or less) portion in the cross country. I was absolutely not doing any ground reference maneuvers. I was okay with the bounce and landing into the headwind. Some of the best landings I've made (and he commented on this). But the wind was strong enough to do some of my turns in the traffic pattern for me, so I wasnt about to do a steep turn or turn around point in it

Edit:

To add to that, he asked if I would fly in that kind of weather, and I said "only out of necessity and provided I could take off and land into a headwind at all times, yes...for recreation or with friends, absolutely not".

Last edited:
Why did you use him then? Sounds like an a$$.

Back