Checkride passed!

skynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
checkmysix
Passed my private pilot checkride yesterday! Was challenging and I was nervous but did well. I spent a lot of time on short and soft field practice up to the checkride which greatly helped. Now to keep learning as new pilot.

Key Take always

1. Do get rest the night before!
2. Relax
3. Eat a good meal before hand- very important!
4. Practice every day a week up to the test

Thanks guys! I am headed to visit family today for turkey dinner. It will be awesome to avoid the wicked holiday freeway traffic and fly out.

Make sure you try some slow flight at altitude and take it around the pattern a few times before launching. You haven't flown a 172 in a while. It's a capable 172 with that 180 HP conversion, but it's not the Archer you've been flying around.

Club rules require 90 days currency in type for insurance. Have you flown a 172 in the last 3 months? Evan might waive an instructor at his discretion (like he did for me in the Archer) but that's unlikely for a brand new pilot on his first post-checkride flight.

Make sure you read squawks. You missed one on the Archer that could have blown your checkride and got you stuck in Santa Rosa if you hadn't rediscovered it. That airplane will get you very lost if you rely on the squawked equipment.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I'd hate to see you bend a plane or get lost on your first flight.

That particular plane has had a PIO hard landing in the past and the nosegear strut can be made to leak if it's whomped hard.

Last edited:
Congrats!
Some day soon you will need to change your name because will not be a newbie!!!

Good job! Ditto on the name change upcoming.

Thanks folks. Did well flying from KPAO-KSAC-KOVE. Smooth landings as well.

Weather was fabulous today! Awesome clear sunshine and not much wind either.

@MAKG, yes, I am current in the 172. I've flown it on long cross country within last couple months. Had no issues flying it. So I'm fully competent in both Cessna and Piper. No wet blanket intended.

Yeah need to update my handle. In due time.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wanted to get out today, but it didn't work out.

Glad you had fun. I haven't been to OVE yet, but I've been to SAC a few times. Jet Center treated me real nice.

@MAKG thanks it was great taking my father flying around Lake Oroville as my first passenger. He had a blast taking photos and I greased the landings. Hope you get to enjoy the nice weather flying before the storms roll in next week.

Back