Checkride Passed! Whoo hoo!

shawjames

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
S. James
I am very happy to say I passed my checkride yesterday. It was quite an experience, and I would like to share it along with some tips for other students. None of these tips are new, in fact I got them from others - but I thought I'd share my experience with them.

1. PTS is your bible, and much easier to become familiar with then the FAR/AIM. If you can memorize and understand everything in the FAR/AIM, then you should be fine... but for me, by the time I get to the 10th page, I forget stuff from the 1st page! For my study, I copied down each line of the PTS and made sure I knew something off hand about each item. I made cheat sheet with this, and noted some locations in the FAR/AIM on each item for more info.

2. Self interview - I read each line of the PTS as it was a question, and said my response out loud. If I had to pause for to long before saying something - I went back to review that item. It might be a good idea to get a friend to help, have them read each line of the PTS and you can respond. They won't know the answer, but you will know if you know it or not. Keep repeating this until you can respond without pause.

3. K.I.S.S. - good ol Navy acronym Keep It Simple Stupid. Answer each question briefly but correct and complete. He will let you keep talking, and if you answer the question in the first few words but keep going... you could expose yourself.

Example #1:
Q: What is Va?
A: Maneuvering speed, 100kn for this airplane at gross weight.
Q: Okay lets move on, What is Vx?

Example #2:
Q: What is Va?
A: Maneuvering speed, 100kn for this airplane at gross weight, If I hit heavy turbulence I can slow down to this speed and should be fine.
Q: Hmm, Okay can you explain to me the aerodynamics for why the maneuvering speed changes with weight?

4. Do not try anything new for your checkride, do what you always have done. Trying out a new process, procedure or equipment during your checkride is a very bad idea. I had an urge to show off what I've learned, but fought it. It is exciting to have your first real passenger, but just do what you've done dozens of times before.

5. Eye on the Prize - No chit-chat. I love to fly and I love to talk about flying, especially with what is going on in the area and telling stories. My instructor and I do it all the time, but if there is ever a flight to cut the chatter - it is your checkride. Announce your actions that directly relate to what is going on, but save your stories for when you are on the ground and after he hands you your cert.

6. Safety is most important. If you barely bust your +/- 100ft alt in your steep turn, but correct it -or even call it out, you should be fine. If you roll into a steep turn before clearing the area... checkride is over. Clear the area before every maneuver, clear every turn, clear the climb. Don't forget to clear while taxing - basically check and clear before you do anything.

Also, if you mess up something small but catch it and fix it... I do not think it will help you to mention it. Forgot to announce your crosswind in the last pattern? Oops, remember it next time - but don't confess to missing it last time.

On the maneuvers, my DPE had me do both stalls in a 20 deg bank left turn. If you have had little practice with these, I would suggest mentioning it to your instructor.

Now, on to a lifetime of learning!

Congrats!...now go spend more time actually BEING a pilot than on POA talking about being a pilot!

Congrats, Pilot! Hope you get some good weather to go and fly for fun now.

Congrats, go fly, have fun, introduce friends and family to GA!

Congrats,now go and enjoy the flying.

Congrats!

One hint I would add came from my second CFI (had one for almost everything but he got a job offer he couldn't refuse-had to finish with another). He had me verbally advise "clear right" or "clear left" just got prior to turning to clear the area. DPE seemed to like it.

Congrats on being a new PIC......a whole different world walking around with the keys in your pocket instead of just looking..........it's all good.........

Back